Milk alternatives, but not soy?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:40 pm

Hmm, I shop at King Soopers, Safeway, and sometimes Wal-Mart. Well I will have to check again!

And I want Light because my fat is usually already about 30-35% of my cals, I don't want it any higher! :)
Fallen_Horse

Postby spacekadet » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:07 am

I would experiment with different brands of soy milk. For tea specifically, I always buy Alpro or Granovita (these might be UK-only brands) even though the whole foods brand is cheaper (to me it has too much "chalkiness").

Rice milk is way too sweet for my liking, and doesn't have the creaminess of milk. Never tried almond milk but I'm curious now. Thanks =)

Good luck!
spacekadet

Postby becka123 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:31 pm

I love Rice milk, it has a watery but creamy taste, I drink a litre or so of it a day if its in. Oat milk is also nice.
becka123

Postby drjoe » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:00 pm

I don't drink alot of rice or soy milk. However, when I do (or need something for a recipe) I use either rice milk or I like very vanilla soy milk by Silk. I think someone posted a container earlier in this thread.
I believe that God will always make a way when there is no way.

2007 GNC NPC Masters National Lightweight Champion
drjoe

millet

Postby belltracey10 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi I'm new to vegan. I'm cutting out meet because I've just found out animals are getting pumped with hormones and anitbiotics, can't be nice :shock:.

I'm just trying to find out where vegans get there protein from as I don't want to be anaemic.

I've been looking at millet seeds how and where can I use this. Lots of help need would be appreciated.[/u][/quote][/code] :lol:
Last edited by belltracey10 on Sun May 04, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
belltracey10

Postby Muay Jin » Sat May 03, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi there =)
You don't get anemia from lack of protein, but you can get it from a lack of iron in the diet. Ideally, you should get your iron from lentils, beans, tofu and other vegetables like spinach, kale and lettuce. Although, if you're not sure you eat enough of those, you can take a multi-vitamin!

Vegan diets are not particularly low on protein as it is, so you don't have to really worry, I myself get protein from tofu, soy milk, beans and lentils.

I hope this answers your questions, if you have any more, please feel free to ask, being/becoming vegan isn't nearly as hard as most people imagine or are told!
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

soya milk

Postby belltracey10 » Sun May 04, 2008 4:06 pm

:D I love soya milk. At first the taste was different than cows milk but you get to love it after awhile. 8) [/list]
belltracey10

Postby IronRonin » Thu May 22, 2008 7:14 am

HEMP MILK is my favorite. Living Harvest brand is the best, it's delicious.
Faster, smarter, stronger, and more resilient than ever before!
IronRonin

Postby cranberryavocado » Tue May 27, 2008 6:57 pm

Very easy to make your own cow's milk substitutes out of nuts or seeds:

A) Handful of nuts/seeds
B) 2-3 cups water
C) blender

Put A and B in C. Strain through a strainer or a piece of cloth. Only downside is you pretty much have to use it straight away or it will go off fairly quickly.
cranberryavocado

Postby alessioisonfire » Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 pm

oh that sounds like a nice thing to try out at home without having to buy kits for the soya beans :)

i've recently bought myself some almond milk from a health shop (bloody 3,50€) as i'd never tried it before and i have to say it's pretty nice.
but i don't think i'd drink it on a regular basis, biggest downside being the price. although i know almonds are expensive..
alessioisonfire

Postby cranberryavocado » Sat May 31, 2008 2:24 pm

You can also add vanilla and agave nectar to it if you like...I like the flavour of those things added, but I have to be careful not to make it too sweet or I won't drink it.
cranberryavocado

Postby ultraflora » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi,

Thought I'd chime in that after many years of using all the different packaged milks (various soy milks, rice milks, nut milks, hemp milk, etc), I have recently started making my own nut and seed milks and find them easier, lighter on the environment (not constantly going through containers), pretty inexpensive in the end, and so fresh and delicious! Not watery and boxed-tasting like some of the commercial nut milks (although in general I do like the taste of many of the boxed options).

My method is a little different than the one cranberryavo mentioned, but very similar. I soak a full cup of nuts/seeds in water (almonds are a mild and rich tasting first one to try) overnight or all day, then rinse them very well and blend them up in the blender on high with about 4 cups of water. After straining out the pulp (with a strainer, or cheesecloth or something similar), I'll sometimes mix in a pinch of salt, perhaps some agave (or blend up the liquid with a date or two), perhaps some cinnamon, or whatever I feel like-- then put the milk into a large jar in the fridge. So easy, and I use the pulp for crackers, cookies, as an ingredient to mix with cut fruit for a 'cereal' or to make a nut cheese type of recipe.

I felt kind of silly the first few times I made it because I've been meaning to for years and always thought that somehow it would take a lot of time or effort. But it's so easy and quick! I've never had a batch go bad, but I always use it up within, say, 4 or 5 days at the most. And it tastes to fresh, that's the best part I think!

Flora
ultraflora

Silk brand causing nausea?

Postby splash » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:44 pm

Has anyone else experienced nausea after drinking (in my case) Silk brand soy milk? I was pretty much incapacitated for a full day. It's not something I'd willingly go through again. ;)

I think I might be allergic (?) to the soy milk. I think it's the soy milk itself, not the brand. I'm not sure about it, but as I said, I'm very reluctant to try a different brand and potentially repeat the experience.
splash

Postby KaliBaby » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:08 pm

abbie wrote:almond milk is AMAZING! makes a gorgeous hot chocolate!

I second Abbie!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Previous

Return to New Vegan