mp3 vs LP vs CD vs ...

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Music format I prefer

mp3/mp4 and other downloadable
44%
12 or 10 inch vinyl
19%
7 inch vinyl
6%
CD
25%
5.1 DVD or other hi tech formats
No votes
I don't care
6%
music sucks ;)
No votes
no clue
No votes

Total votes : 16

mp3 vs LP vs CD vs ...

Postby xbojanx » Thu May 15, 2008 8:25 pm

I used to shout out that people should buy CDs and LPs from DIY/Indie band and labels to support the artists etc...but lately, I'm thinking of how it contributes to pollution of Earth and if whole story with music industry (commercial or not) is in line with vegan philosophy...

I first download stuff, than if I really like it, try to buy it - I'm still in phase of getting older stuff on vinyl (more punk kind of hardcore like Minor Threat etc) or CD-s (more metal stuff like desperate fight bands, Earth Crisis etc). This gives me idea for new thread....
xbojanx

Postby xbojanx » Thu May 15, 2008 8:26 pm

and 10 inch vinyls are so beautiful
xbojanx

Postby emmacore » Thu May 15, 2008 8:29 pm

All my vinyl is now a reminder of a time past. I download everything now. Except when I see something with amazing artwork or in a wacky shade of vinyl!
emmacore

Postby runrevolt » Thu May 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Cd's and what not are convenient and easy..but nothing beats the tangible experience of playing vinyl. I use to sit in my room for hours listening to my 7"'s...getting up and flipping them every two songs and figuring out which record would transition best. i loved that. i need to get a new record player...and all my 7"'s back.
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby xbojanx » Thu May 15, 2008 8:50 pm

runrevolt wrote:Cd's and what not are convenient and easy..but nothing beats the tangible experience of playing vinyl. I use to sit in my room for hours listening to my 7"'s...getting up and flipping them every two songs and figuring out which record would transition best. i loved that. i need to get a new record player...and all my 7"'s back.

That's what I'm talking about...my favorite one for this type of behavior was s/t from Lifetime :cry:
xbojanx

Postby benzilla » Fri May 16, 2008 3:12 pm

vinyl and mp3, Vinyl just demands attention, it's not usually put on by me as background music, and it has such a warmth that cannot be recreated digitally.

But having mp3 as well for convenience, listening to stuff on the road and portability etc...
benzilla

Postby Dave Noisy » Sat May 17, 2008 3:27 am

I voted MP3, can't beat the convenience and accessibility.

If i could have my music in any single format, i'd choose SACD (Super Audio CD) - the ultimate format i've ever heard, bar none. Vinyl can't touch it. 24/96 DVD Audio is pretty hot too, but SACD is way beyond that even, no bit limit, and a HUGE frequency range.
Dave Noisy

Postby xbojanx » Fri May 23, 2008 8:32 pm

OK, mp3 is more convenient, especially when you get to download high bit rate complete discography that includes rarities :lol: 8)
xbojanx

Postby GenTDuke » Sat May 24, 2008 6:39 am

Flac or any other lossless format.
GenTDuke

Postby jah_militant » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:34 pm

I stated "Don't Care" but it's more like i don't mind, like it's so easy and convienient as you say to download mp3, but it kinda loses it's personality.

Sometimes i love to hold the actual CD / Record, with the artwork etc for example Dead Prez' album "Let's Get Free", feels like more of a give-take and more personal that a simple download... :idea:
--- Peace, Love, Unity, Respect ---

"Gotta get yo'self a gangsta physique!"
jah_militant

Return to Culture