How far would you go for a personal best?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Gelert » Sun May 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Possibly. If I were you I'd invest in some diet pills and a back, sack n' crack ASAP.
Gelert

Postby ninearms » Sun May 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Are you trying to chat me up?
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Gelert » Sun May 18, 2008 9:01 pm

Ahem...no, not at all :roll:

Just being in touch with my feminine side, or something :oops:
Gelert

Postby ninearms » Sun May 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Liar. Admit it, you're e-macking. :wink: It's perfectly understandable - I'm very e-charming.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Gelert » Sun May 18, 2008 9:46 pm

erm, okay

I am :oops:

mwah!
Gelert

Postby XkillerX » Mon May 19, 2008 9:41 pm

get a room you two, we'll all chip in if need be! 8)
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby ninearms » Mon May 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Second time in a week too. That pheremone spray I bought is obviously working.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby clintpatty » Mon May 19, 2008 10:25 pm

In reply to the topic but none of the discussion, I won't even compromise form for a pb. If I shift to far forward on a squat, I don't try to recover it. If my back starts to round on a deadlift, I put it down. I figure if I didn't stay tight then it will be all the more effort to get back there, and I might not quite get my back straight or whatever which would make completing the lift silly when I don't have a competition or anything to consider. I'm even anal about form picking up stuff around the house or sticks in the yard.
clintpatty

Postby Gelert » Mon May 19, 2008 11:42 pm

XkillerX wrote:get a room you two, we'll all chip in if need be! 8)

You'd want the webcasting rights in return though, wouldn't you?

To be serious, yes, I see your points very well clintpatty. What use is style without substance? In particular when lifting heavy stuff, doing it right is important. But I can see how people get carried away. I don't powerlift, but by analogy:

Just yesterday, I went out to a nearby mountain, my first trip out for a few weeks after a back injury. I huffed and puffed my way up it for an hour. A good pace for the ground, but I felt dead doing it, whereas normally it would be easy going. I felt like binning it a few times, such was my disdain for activity. Anyways I shuffled to the top, perservered. I realised it was a beautiful day and I was glad of the effort. I looked at my watch and saw it was 1530. I set myself the challenge of getting back to the car by 1600. I set off.

This is where I got stupid. I decided it was too easy, so I stopped to put some rocks in my rucksack, to round it up to about 20kg. I didn't want to be too extravagant, considering me back.

I made the car at 1601. I was devastated. Yes, I made it down quickly depsite added challenge, but I missed the fundamental aim I set myself. I suspect compromising form is the same for you guys.

Anyway, to go off topic, but back on discussion, I think clintpatty is paraphrasing what may have happened in that picture:

clintpatty wrote:I'm even anal about form picking up stuff....
Gelert

Previous

Return to General Discussion