old skool heavy metal fans?

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Animal » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Gonna order this one:
http://www.cafepress.com/justvegan.122681832

This merges my old school metal sensibilities with the vegan passion. Almost as cool as Arawn's reworked Venom logo.
"Ghastly I slake
Bestial appetites to sate
As flesh and steel I mate
To fill the lower species' plate..."
- Carcass, 1991
Animal

Postby erske » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:56 am

Animal wrote:Gonna order this one:
http://www.cafepress.com/justvegan.122681832

This merges my old school metal sensibilities with the vegan passion. Almost as cool as Arawn's reworked Venom logo.

awsome! Seen some in maiden lettering before, but this is just devine..,
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby bronco » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:26 am

Solid, I might have to get one as well :D !
bronco
Site Admin

Postby tempehmomma » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:54 am

I love that t-shirt. Can dietary vegans wear it or is it for ethical vegans? :?
tempehmomma

Postby JP » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:47 pm

tempehmomma wrote:I love that t-shirt. Can dietary vegans wear it or is it for ethical vegans? :?

how can someone be just a dietary vegan? I mean would you buy leather? And since leather definitely wouldnt be vegan, and its not very edible in the first place, then ergo, vegan is a vegan :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Animal » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:26 pm

I guess there is no description for an animal free diet that is not linked to animal rights sentiments. Sometimes I run into people that maintain a vegan diet, but won't subscribe to veganism as a way of life. Perhaps we need a term for animal free diets, independent of the vegan lifestyle (I heard the term 'true vegetarian' tossed around a couple of time, but maybe its not a good name). Veganism encompasses much more than what we eat.

Anyhoo, I did end up ordering this shirt, and also the one with the Venom spoof. And now I'm dreaming up which other metal icons can be converted into vegan propaganda.

Speaking on old school jean jackets, anyone knows where I can get good animal rights patches? Like maybe the ALF masked person with dog logo, or meat is murder type slogans?
"Ghastly I slake
- Carcass, 1991
Animal

Postby xbojanx » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Animal wrote:Perhaps we need a term for animal free diets, independent of the vegan lifestyle (I heard the term 'true vegetarian' tossed around a couple of time, but maybe its not a good name).

Strict vegetarian is widely used here ...
xbojanx

Postby tempehmomma » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:33 am

Animal wrote:I guess there is no description for an animal free diet that is not linked to animal rights sentiments.
There is a description it's called a Dietary Vegan!
Sometimes I run into people that maintain a vegan diet, but won't subscribe to veganism as a way of life.
I think you should re-word this last sentence with don't instead of won't. Won't implies someone should, which sounds judgmental IMO.
tempehmomma

Postby Animal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:55 pm

tempehmomma wrote:I think you should re-word this last sentence with don't instead of won't. Won't implies someone should, which sounds judgmental IMO.

I am judgmental. I'm trying to be somewhat diplomatic about it, but to be perfectly honest I do consider a lifestyle that exploits animals morally wrong.

When I say people should not be raping and killing children, I'm still being judgmental. But nobody objects because its a common judgment. But when I object to animal being butchered when it isn't necessary, I'm judging against the grain and people get defensive. I'm just telling it like it is.
"Ghastly I slake
- Carcass, 1991
Animal

Postby tempehmomma » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:44 pm

Animal wrote:
tempehmomma wrote:I think you should re-word this last sentence with don't instead of won't. Won't implies someone should, which sounds judgmental IMO.

I am judgmental. I'm trying to be somewhat diplomatic about it, but to be perfectly honest I do consider a lifestyle that exploits animals morally wrong.

When I say people should not be raping and killing children, I'm still being judgmental. But nobody objects because its a common judgment. But when I object to animal being butchered when it isn't necessary, I'm judging against the grain and people get defensive. I'm just telling it like it is.
I respect your opinion because of your honesty. I wish more ethical vegans were as straightforward.
tempehmomma

Postby runrevolt » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:59 pm

however, i reject abstinence from anything (killing animals, raping children) based entirely on some sense of abstract "morality".
http://www.runvegan.wordpress.com
runrevolt

Postby Will » Fri May 23, 2008 12:39 pm

sorry to change the subject back, but since reading some of these posts, I've got Denim and Leather by Saxon stuck in my head. Not so sure about the leather though.
Will

Postby Gamblor » Fri May 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Wow, Saxon!
Are they still going?
I heard some Gamma Ray for the first time a few months back, sounds like a german Iron Maiden. My friend was getting some tattoo work done and we were listening to the music and really enjoying it (we're both big Maiden fans) and guessed Helloween but no, Gamma Ray.
I should try to get some actually. Anyone got recommendations of a good starter album?
Gamblor

Postby _Andreas_ » Fri May 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Got a cut sleeve slayer top with show no mercy tour 1983 written at the bottem of it. The fact I was born in 1988 = ME FAIL
_Andreas_

Postby ninearms » Fri May 23, 2008 2:47 pm

EPIC FAIL.

However, I was born in 1975 and am thus suitably qualified to wear the aforementioned shirt. PM me your address and I'll send you a pound for it (it is second hand...).
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

PreviousNext

Return to Culture