Who was the most 'punk'?

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Who do you think was the most 'punk'?

The 'Sex Pistols' for saying 'fuck' on national television in the 1970s?
41%
The man who angrily put his foot through his telly in protest
59%

Total votes : 17

Postby james79 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:48 pm

xbojanx wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:I like all sorts of music James, apart from rap, i really can't stomach its vulgarity.

Hmm, this is prejudice, not all rap is filled with vulgarity...and some of it is pretty punk :wink:

re topic...Pistols are not punk at all...having manager, image and that...

Would agree with this. e.g. Check out Naj One

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =165364398

Promoe is amazing also.

Patrick, I was only joking! I was quoting from American Psycho where the main character is called Patrick Bateman. I thought you must have been a fan :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsdd1GQ0oFM
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Postby becka123 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 pm

re topic...Pistols are not punk at all...having manager, image and that...

So did the Clash. From what I know it seems that at the very start the Pistols/Clash were pretty much tools in a Rhodes/McLaren clash. Paul Siminion used to have to stick pieces of paper saying where his fingers went on the bass because he couldn't play- not because he was way to punk but because he was chosen for his good looks (a good choice) and couldn't play anything on the bass. Still the Clash and Strummer overall have a special place in my music collection, I love how they developed and progressed musically and also philosophically and the songs arn't bad to.
becka123

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:01 pm

I don't know what peoples definition of punk is, but for me, there had to be politics involved. Some sort of belief. A desire to change the world.

In that respect, the Pistols could never be punk. They were just some sort of marketing machine to promote Westwoods 'Sex' fashion shop. They could never sell out, because they never believed in anything anyway ! They were business disguised as a band.

So the Clash would always be more punk, because they were political, and did want to change things, whatever their faults. They never sold out !

Bands like Crass, The Levellers etc are the only ones who fulfill my definition of punk. And several vegans in Crass, of course !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby fredrikw » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:11 pm

JohnBarleycorn wrote:So the Clash would always be more punk, because they were political, and did want to change things, whatever their faults. They never sold out !

I'd say that's debatable, I think selling a song to be used in a Levi's commercial is a major sell out...
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:28 pm

Thats true. I accept that. And that really was taking the Yankee dollar. I was upset by that ! But I seem to recall that they had no choice in it. Something to do with who owned the rights ?

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby bob_summers » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:51 am

the clash bio by marcus gray skirts the issue somewhat - mick jones wrote the song, so the other members left the decision up to him (which is why the cash-in re-release c/w a B.A.D. song on the flipside). i can't imagine they lost too much sleep when the royalties came in after it went to number 1.

the song was also used to sell booze in america, and 'london calling' was used in a jaguar car advert after, apparently, all members had seen and agreed to the screenplay.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:53 pm

JohnBarleycorn wrote:Bands like Crass, The Levellers etc are the only ones who fulfill my definition of punk. And several vegans in Crass, of course !

An ex flatmate of mine went to the festival the Levellers hold every year, a couple of summers ago. Her van and all passengers were thoroughly searched for drugs by police on the way in, along with every other vehicle in the queue. They said they had been called there and asked to do so by the Levellers. I wouldn't call that very 'punk'!
Hiking Fox

Postby ninearms » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:41 pm

Hippies.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby spike » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:44 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:
JohnBarleycorn wrote:Bands like Crass, The Levellers etc are the only ones who fulfill my definition of punk. And several vegans in Crass, of course !

An ex flatmate of mine went to the festival the Levellers hold every year, a couple of summers ago. Her van and all passengers were thoroughly searched for drugs by police on the way in, along with every other vehicle in the queue. They said they had been called there and asked to do so by the Levellers. I wouldn't call that very 'punk'!

They might have been lying...
spike

Postby SpugFab » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:46 pm

spike wrote:They might have been lying...

Lol - that's exactly what I was thinking.

"Believing the police - that's not very punk :?"
SpugFab

Postby bob_summers » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:25 pm

i think the levellers sold a song to a car company too.. pontiac maybe?
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:09 pm

Their song 'Beautiful Day' was used in an advert for one day, but then pulled. Haven't been able to find out the story behind that, other than they hadn't given permission. Haven't heard any other songs being used.

Their Festival 'Beautiful Days' has no corporate support or advertising. Its supposed to be drug free, so that its safe, but I can't imagine them asking the police to make it drug free. They certainly have no trust or faith in the police. Especially after the battle of the beanfield (Beans are vegan, of course) !

JohnBarleycorn

Postby ninearms » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:13 pm

They were signed to Warner though, and their festival does put on major label acts. Not punk.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:39 pm

They started off on China Records, and are back with them now.

Haven't been to their festival, so don't know who plays at it, other than Billy Bragg and Three Daft Monkeys.

JohnBarleycorn

Postby ninearms » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:51 pm

China Records is a Warner Music label. Has been since 1997.
ninearms
Perked Member

PreviousNext

Return to Culture