Ever accidently eaten "meat"?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Ever accidently eaten something non-vegan?

Yes - blaaarrrggh Yuk Yes.
84%
No - I don't make mistakes
16%

Total votes : 25

Ever accidently eaten "meat"?

Postby barnz2k » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:46 am

reading a few old posts and something came up about Quorn. I never buy it so never looked into it, but think I had a Quorn "vegie burger" at the pub recently.. turns out its got egg in it.. great..
Also someone gave me the wrong gyoza a while ago and i bit into chicken one before going WTF is this.

What do you do if you have accidentally eaten something non-vegan? If its serious (aka the chicken) and I realize it when eating it. I instantly feel like throwing up.

ahh sigh.. Tell me I'm not the only idiot.
barnz2k

Postby Gelert » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:53 am

Although I've never accidentally eaten meat since going vegan, I've slipped up on the other stuff far more often than I'd like.
Gelert

Postby bob_summers » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:57 am

yeah... nightmare. i was vegetarian at the time, but still. i'd been out for curry with some meat eaters - ordered too much, so we got doggy bags to go, which somehow got switched. next morning i thought cold curry would be an ace breakfast. chewed, and chewed, and chewed... like eating rubber. fucking dead sheep in my mouth. you don't make that mistake twice :(
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby XkillerX » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:01 am

live and learn, barnz2k, live and learn.

frankly i'm not too positive about the 100% veganism of accidentaly vegan goods i buy, of course there are times when i get really down for several days dwelling in my mind: was that really vegan?!
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby JP » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:40 am

i have eaten meat twice during vegan days (excluding maybe some E number amount at some stage maybe).

First was a mexican place, and i went to such a great length in explaining that i dont eat dairy that i think we forgot the meat bit :lol:

second one was just a while back when i was in an all you can eat chinese restaurant, tucking into fantastic large chuncks of seitan and tofu and suddenly one of them tasted weird, like it was off, the texture was horrible, and the taste pretty overwhelmingly disgusting. Turns out it was a piece of chicken, maybe someone dropped it to the vegan food tray. Anyway, from now on if someone talks about how good chicken tastes like, i can tell them to fuck off.
JP
Site Admin

Postby The Duke » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:50 am

We ordered chick pea dhosa to share as a starter.

It was kind of rich and chewy and very oily.

So what, Indian food can be like that.

Closer inspection showed it had chicken strips in it.

I guess the wrote someting like "Ch dhosa" when we ordered!!!

That one got two of us!!
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Ambi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:32 pm

I was with my dad and relatives from Israel and wasn't careful enough at a Chinese place. I ordered a tofu dish, good juicy tofu, nice spicy sauce, two kinds of mushrooms... crap, that's one kind of mushroom and tiny bits of pork (I think). I tried to just eat it since it was there already and my mistake, but I couldn't do it. That's the only time I've eaten meat since I was a child.
Ambi

Postby wannalift » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:03 pm

JP wrote:First was a mexican place, and i went to such a great length in explaining that i dont eat dairy that i think we forgot the meat bit :lol:

second one was just a while back when i was in an all you can eat chinese restaurant, tucking into fantastic large chuncks of seitan and tofu and suddenly one of them tasted weird, like it was off, the texture was horrible, and the taste pretty overwhelmingly disgusting. Turns out it was a piece of chicken, maybe someone dropped it to the vegan food tray. Anyway, from now on if someone talks about how good chicken tastes like, i can tell them to fuck off.

ha, pretty much the same experience here. it has happened a few times eating burritos. the other time was at a chinese restaurant. they didn't even own up to it. next time i should just make myself puke on the floor on the way out.
wannalift

Postby barnz2k » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:50 pm

it sucks, but glad its not just me lol.
Im begining to be reluctant to buy from anywhere that isn't a veg*n restaurant.

Tip btw to people having trouble explaining at a restaurant, or think they wont do it even if they say it, rather than just saying veg or whatever, say you are ALLERGIC to dairy and eggs. They can live with pissing you off or lying to you but if you drop dead because they didn't adhere to your request they're in big trouble! :D
barnz2k

Postby ChrisJ » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:37 pm

Not meat but I have dropped a bollock or two with dairy/eggs.
First, I went a month or so before I realised Quorn had egg and milk in it :oops: (well, I thought it was a f***in' mushroom didn't I?!)
Then I was in a Thai restaurant last year and I'd spent so long making sure the dish didn't have fish sauce in it I neglected to notice the fact that the fried strips of tofu arrived in batter. I was still rabbiting to people about how Thai people put fish sauce in so many dishes as I ate half a dozen of them... :oops: :oops:
While I was in Thailand I once went to a small restaurant and had a long conversation, mostly in mime, with the owner about which foods were veggie. (I wasn't a vegan at the time.) The basic menu was printed in English as well as Thai, so I wasn't too worried about the fact that no-one there had more than a word or two of English. I got on really well with them; I was nice to their kids, they were nice to me - even to the extent of putting extra pork in my Special Vegetarian Rice. :cry:
Something profound.
ChrisJ

Postby fredrikw » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:01 pm

barnz2k wrote:Tip btw to people having trouble explaining at a restaurant, or think they wont do it even if they say it, rather than just saying veg or whatever, say you are ALLERGIC to dairy and eggs. They can live with pissing you off or lying to you but if you drop dead because they didn't adhere to your request they're in big trouble! :D

This has been discussed here before, and I think that as a vegan saying you're allergic is a quite bad idea for the following reasons:
1. if they give you something that does contain milk accidentally you'll never notice this, and they will probably think it's safe to feed people with real allergies this food, because you have involountarily vouched for the contents.
2. if you're vegan for ethical reasons it makes no sense lying about the reason like this. veganism isn't about purity, but about social change, and it should be more important for you to be vocal about your ethical choice than to avoid every single piece of animal ingredient. you should make it clear to the restaurant that an ethical choice is as important as an allergy, not assume the same standpoint as the ones we're trying to change.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Bought a 'salad' roll once...the 'chicken' bit didn't print clearly on the label.

For a while I was spending time among vivisectors while gathering info about their trade. Had to eat some stuff to hide my intentions. Urgh, wish I hadn't mentioned it now..
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby vegangurl23 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:27 pm

see with me, i kind of have the benefit of telling them that i can't eat meat/eggs/dairy.

actually i didn't have a problem with eggs when i did eat them... but dairy and meat always seemed to upset my stomach a lot, which is what caused me to change my diet, and eventually became vegan.

however, i am vegan not only for these reasons, but its what got me started into thinking about it. i grew up with a bunch of meat eaters and sea food lovers, so the thought of ''not eating meat'' was like saying ''i'm anorexic''.

what gets to me though is that when i tell certain people that i can't drink milk or eat meat or whatever, they never believe me anyway, and they think that i'm probably just trying to diet.

when i tell them i'm vegan and explain why... they look at me like i'm psychotic.

the funny thing is i'd rather be looked at as a psycho then a anorexic bitch, that way if they do screw up on my order and i have a reaction to the food... i can make a big deal out of it.

this has happened to me twice so far.

once at starbucks where i asked for soy milk and they put regular milk in the tea. i saw them do this and when they gave it to me i said ''i hope thats soy''. they lied and said ''yes... green tea with soy''. i asked to speak to the manager after that and it turns out it was 2% milk that she ''accidentally'' grabbed instead of the soy milk.

the second time was at a smoothie place. i asked for a specific smoothie that just had ice, frozen fruits, and soy milk. i explained to her that i couldn't have the frozen yogurt because i was vegan. i saw her put it in anyway. when she gave it to me i asked ''is there any dairy in it'' and she said ''oh i put soy milk''. i walked out and never went back. this is not the first time i've gotten this comment either where people would be like ''i thought you were vegan... but it has dairy... isn't that soy milk?"

its not that i think that they are stupid. i just wish that certain places were a little bit more careful about these things, especially educating their workers who are not exactly at fault (unless they are willingly lying to me). if you are working in a food place... they should at least learn the importance of getting an order right, especially if it involves allergies or peoples values and beliefs.

so what do i do now? i make my own smoothes and green tea with soy haha.
"even though there is no such thing as perfect, there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve it"
vegangurl23

Postby ChrisJ » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:40 pm

You put soy milk in green tea?! :shock:
Something profound.
ChrisJ

Postby vegangurl23 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:43 pm

hahahaha yah. i use the green tea powder (which i grind myself) and then add it to a little hot water, then boil soy milk and put it inside. its like a green tea latte :)
"even though there is no such thing as perfect, there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve it"
vegangurl23

Next

Return to General Discussion