Vegan Razors?

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan Razors?

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:11 pm

In the past I bought Gillette Quattro razors to shave with. Now that I have been thinking about it, Gillette testing razors on animals would be about the worst kind of animal testing. So I'm concerned, do they test on animals? Where would I get vegan razors? I went to Vitamin Cottage, but the only brand of razors they had were made of 65% recycled plastic, but the plastic was from Stonyfield Farms Yogurt Cups. I certainly don't want to support the Yogurt industry with my razor buying, as goofy as that sounds, but I don't know what to do. I am down to one razor and it's getting dull!!
Fallen_Horse

Postby bob_summers » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 pm

google should shed some light on things, as my knowledge on gilette is way out of date. they used animal testing to a horrific degree when i was first getting involved in AR in the 90s. i have no idea whether they still do - but i'd rather shave with a blow torch than use gilette, or any of the brands from their stable. fuck them.
personally i use sainsbury's (UK supermarket) own-brand razors, although i'd like to use a straight razor, once i can source a vegan strop...

for balance though, i should add that gilette don't appear on this list: http://www.uncaged.co.uk/crueltyfree.htm
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby buzz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:34 pm

bob_summers wrote:although i'd like to use a straight razor, once i can source a vegan strop...

Veganessentials have just started selling one!! Let the sharpening begin :)
buzz

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:48 pm

It's not the best, and i'm guessing not recycled at all, but i use 'generic' three-blade (Sensor Excel?) blades, you can find them at Safeway, Red Lion and other big chain stores will have their own brand..
Dave Noisy

Postby vCLaW » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:46 am

Gillette are now part of Proctor & Gamble, who definitely do a lot of testing on animals.
See http://www.uncaged.co.uk/pg.htm

Personally, I use an electric shaver.
Or you could grow a beard.
vCLaW

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:07 am

Ok so we are thinking most generic brands don't do any animal testing either?
Fallen_Horse

Postby VeganEssentials » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:15 am

For razors -

HOK2 makes the Wally and Spike razors - pretty odd looking, but they get the job done and as far as I know are still a completely vegan company (we just carry some of their razors, I've never verified all their skin care stuff)

Preserve makes some quality razors that are formed with handles made from recycled plastics.

There's also the Persona razors, which are a bit more commonly found, and their company does not test on animals. They apparently make private label brands for a ton of chain stores, so if you can find a listing on their items, you may find something in your area that has one of their brands available to you.

We do carry strops now in our store - someone pointed us in the right direction, and it was pretty cool to see someone make a vegan version as opposed to the usual leather.
http://www.veganessentials.com

And also...

http://www.vegancats.com

"You have become a fraction of the sum"
VeganEssentials

Postby aliquis » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:55 am

I don't know if any oils or animal testing or whatever is "vegan" but why make it harder than:

Image or Image

+

(I took expensive models just because ;D, the later one is philips bodygroom, you try to figure out what that one is for!)
aliquis

Postby XkillerX » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:15 pm

+1 for go electric. trust me. it's worth it.
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:53 pm

I can't stand electric. My hair grows back in 2 hours, and it hurts like hell during and after.

I tend to use generic brand copies of Schick Brand razors. I stay away from Gillette (unless it's a gift in the mail or something).
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby puppydog » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:15 pm

i do use electric but i don't get as close a shave as I do with a blade, so I use a blade about once a week or so.

i have a lot of mach 3 blades lying around, which i'll discontinue buying after i've used them all up.

In any event, i wouldn't recommend using the quatro. It's like a cheese grater running over your face. The mach 3 is a great razor.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:32 am

Let's not recommend Gillette products, k?

I've had the same problem with electric razors, and just plain felt gross...
Dave Noisy

Postby tylerm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:28 am

I recommend not shaving at all, grow a full beard and look like a wildman. That is what I do :D I haven't been clean shaven in probably 4 years or so, at the very least I have stubble and sideburns.
tylerm

Re: Vegan Razors?

Postby etherspin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:04 am

any update on razors? I heard schick were not testing anymore but didnt get email back about whether there were animal products in the lubricating strip. I use persona from vegan essentials but I get some knicks on my head (skinhead - shave every 2-3 days) and its not a super pleasant experience after the first shave with a blade.

anyone found other vegan brands, pre vegan I had no problem headshaving with gillette 4 blade razors except for the damn price!
etherspin

Re: Vegan Razors?

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:14 am

excellent bump. Anyone with suggestions for the UK too would be appreciated as, while i love VeganEssentials, I'd rather not ship a few things across the world if i can get them here.

oh and Mother's Market in southern california (not sure if it is a chain) had vegan disposables a while back i think
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements