fatty yummy protein bars

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

fatty yummy protein bars

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:49 pm

I'm on a vegan seefood diet: If I see food and it's vegan I'll eat it! I'm trying to do the healthfood thing, but without much success, as I'm waaaaay too much into junk. So don't expect any healthy recipes from me - and I don't have a clue about caloric breakdowns, so if there's anyone else on the board who'll want to do that for us and deliver the shocking outcome then you're most welcome to do so :)

Anyway, them protein bars. You need:
150 grs marge
150 grs sugar
2 big fat tbsp crunchy peanut butter, as much as you can get on a tbsp
300 grs oats
big handful of each raisins, seeds (I add sesame, pumpkin and sunflower, handful of each)
1 (or more) scoop protein powder
1 banana

Here goes:
Preheat oven to 200C/gasmark 6
Mix the oats, raisins, seeds and protein powder in a large bowl
Melt the marge, sugar and peanut butter together in a sauce pan, over low heat, stirring constantly
When melted and the sugar has dissolved completely, remove from heat
Mash the banana
Add mixture in suace pan and banana to dry ingredients and mix well
Transfer mixture to baking or roasting tin (small one will do), and press it down with the back of a spoon
Bake for 15 minutes
They will come out soft, but will set when cooling down. If you bake them any longer you will able to brick a window with them!
Leave in tin until cooled down.
I've found it quite useful to cut them already into bars when they were still warm and soft, cuts a lot easier!
Makes about 10 bars.

Enjoy! :D
Malcolms Billy

yes

Postby i live in omaha » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:41 pm

holy geez i'm making these tonight.
"No More just looking out for myself when the price paid is the life of something else.
No More, i won't participate." - Youth of Today
-- hello, my name is david --
i live in omaha

Re: yes

Postby Malcolms Billy » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:28 pm

i live in omaha wrote:holy geez i'm making these tonight.

There goes your BF% ! :lol:

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

yes

Postby i live in omaha » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:51 pm

that's fine, i'm on that seefood diet right now too.
"No More just looking out for myself when the price paid is the life of something else.
No More, i won't participate." - Youth of Today
-- hello, my name is david --
i live in omaha

Postby Rochellita » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:56 am

I can vouch for Billy's protein flapjacks- tasty even if they are a fat bomb!
They have saved us from starvation in many situations:)

Billy can you try them without the marge using a mix of flaxseed (that gooey egg replacer recipe of 2 T ground flax blended with 1/2 cup water), applesauce and say almond or cashew butter?

Rochelle
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:57 pm

Rochelle wrote:I can vouch for Billy's protein flapjacks- tasty even if they are a fat bomb!
They have saved us from starvation in many situations:)

Billy can you try them without the marge using a mix of flaxseed (that gooey egg replacer recipe of 2 T ground flax blended with 1/2 cup water), applesauce and say almond or cashew butter?

Rochelle

Glad I'm appreciated 8) But why don't you try em out, and report back to us; you're 'Almond and Cashew Woman' after all! :wink:
Malcolms Billy

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:25 pm

Rochelle wrote:Billy can you try them without the marge using a mix of flaxseed (that gooey egg replacer recipe of 2 T ground flax blended with 1/2 cup water), applesauce and say almond or cashew butter?

Just wondering now: what would be the advantage of almond or cashew butter over peanutbutter? I might give it a try, but I'm not sure about the apple sauce idea :?:

See ya,
Billy :)
Malcolms Billy

Postby Rochellita » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:45 pm

I think almond and cashew butter is nutritionally superior to and healthier than margarine, I wasn't suggesting you replace the peanut butter.

R
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:11 pm

Rochelle wrote:I think almond and cashew butter is nutritionally superior to and healthier than margarine, I wasn't suggesting you replace the peanut butter.

R

Oh, alright, I thought that, as it's nuts too, you were suggesting I'd replace both the marge and the peanutbutter. Hmmm, the concept's becoming more interesting. I really don't like the idea of apple sauce tho, any other suggestions - anyone?
Malcolms Billy

Postby Mary » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:54 pm

I've just been inspired to try my own version of Billy's flapjacks. They are in the oven now.

I put in about three quarters almonds, followed by sunflower, flax, linseed, pumpkin seeds, and whooshed them all up. (It made a horrid rattle.) Then I mixed in an equal amount of figs to all those seeds. To make it stick together I added one large tablespoon of almond butter, one large tablespoon of threeseed butter, and a dollop of molasses, with a bit of water to make it soft enough. One scoop of soya protein for luck. Whooshed it all up again, then added porridge oats until it stopped being a gooey sludge. (Don't I make it sound nice...) Rolled it out on the tray, and am now baking it.

The raw mix was really nice, and about half of it got eaten before it even hit the oven. :roll: With molasses of course it is richer in iron, which is good. This time I am cooking it at gasmark four, but next time I shall experiment with dehydrating it. If you have a fan assisted oven you can dehydrate your food, as opposed to cooking it, by leaving the door open, and cooking at the bottom temperature. If the dehydrated version works I will let you know, because it will obviously retain its omega oils better

Oh yes, I think that the goo could be stirred into melted chocolate to make a gooey cablooey cake. (Technical term that - it means something that little kids like to paint their faces with and eat at the same time.) If that one works I will let you know later in the week.
Mary

Postby Mary » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:42 pm

Came out tasting like barm brack, oddly enough, or Bara Brith - whatever it gets called in England. Or in other words, Irish teacake. A bit crumbly, but moist, which is good, and definitely the molasses was a hit.

We all just munched on it, and half the cake is gone, so I will certainly make it again. Not anything like a flapjack though - sorry Billy! On the other hand, no fats other than those in the seeds, extremely unrefined sugar, plenty of protein, and damn, I want some more.

Tell you how the "raw" version goes. I might try a version with no oats in it as well. I am coeliac, but can manage a few oats. However, for those out there who are completely unable to process either form of gluten, I shall experiment further.

Sigh. The things we do to further human knowledge... :wink:
Mary

fat free.. ?

Postby brenda » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:42 pm

sounds absolutely delicious, you three.. Mary can you please recap your recipe, I've had a job following that, and I'd be very interested in anyone's margarine replacements. It's worth knowing that a lot of 'marge' in tubs here actually contains milk powder.

8)
brenda

Re: fat free.. ?

Postby Malcolms Billy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:40 pm

brenda wrote:It's worth knowing that a lot of 'marge' in tubs here actually contains milk powder.

'Pure' marge is suitable for vegans (tho I know that that it doesn't make it any healthier!).

Mary - no need to apologise for altering the recipe! I'm going to try yours out too, sounds very nice :P

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby Mary » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:02 pm

One quarter cup of seed mix. Seed mix is half pumpkins, followed by another half of following seeds in equal proportion: sesame, linseed, flax. Shake these up together.
One cup almonds.
One cup figs
Two cups porrige oats
Tablespoon almond butter
Tablespoon other nut butter (I happened to have three nut butter, but I imagine hazlenut, peanut, etc will work just as well.)
Tablespoon molasses

First woosh up the seeds. Then woosh up the almonds. Put them in a bowl. Now whizz up the figs (or dates, or apricot - I plan to experiment with dried fruit). Now add the molasses (dip the spoon in hot water to make the stuff run off.) Now add the different butters, now stir in the ground nuts and oats, adding hot water to make a stiff but sticky batter.

Roll it out nice and flat, and bake at a lowish temperature for about twenty minutes.

Ours is all gone now, and went down really well for breakfast. Flapjack it aint, but it was really yummy.
Mary

Return to Vegan Recipes