Milk alternatives, but not soy?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Milk alternatives, but not soy?

Postby Ashilia » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:47 pm

I've been experimenting with a bunch of different soy milks, but I simply can not get over the icky aftertaste.
Are there other fake milks that taste pretty darn close to what real milk tastes like, and don't punch a hole in your wallet? And also, as I love tea, I'm looking for something that might work well in it. I've heard of nut and rice milks, but I have no clue how they taste, and I'm a bit cautious about trying new products after so many bad results.

Thanks.
Ashilia

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:11 pm

Short answer, no. You could try rice milk, but it's too sweet for some people.
Fallen_Horse

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Try fat-reduced soymilks as that tends to reduce the chalky after-taste in my opinion. Otherwise keep experimenting with rice milks, nut milks, oatmilk, quinoamilk atc though personally I find them all rather watery. IN the UK there is a soymilk callled "SoGood" soymilk which when I was a new vegan, seemed close to cows milk to me in taste but was a bit sweet.

The big question if you cant find any that you like- is do you really need a milk substitute?
Fruitbat

Postby No other way » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:20 am

rice milk is a bit watery but i love it.
No other way

Postby RAZ » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:00 pm

Oat milk is great if you're wanting one without a strong taste and that isn't sweet. It's nice in tea too. I drink Oatly.
"Drink some concrete and harden up"
RAZ

Re: Milk alternatives, but not soy?

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:17 pm

Ashilia wrote:I've been experimenting with a bunch of different soy milks, but I simply can not get over the icky aftertaste.

I love SILK brand soymilk. No aftertaste.

I never (even as an omnivore) liked cow milk or cheese, so I can't claim that SILK tastes at all like cow milk. If it did, I wouldn't like it. However, there is no aftertaste, and it is smooth and creamy and delicious.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Ashilia » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:52 pm

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I'll try rice milk, and if that doesn't work, the reduced fat soy milk.

Fruitbat wrote:The big question if you cant find any that you like- is do you really need a milk substitute?

With my routine being as it is, it's the most convenient for me to have some sort of cereal or oatmeal in the morning. For cereal, a milk substitute would be natural, and I really tend to dislike oatmeal made with water. I doubt that I won't eventually find one that I like, though.
Ashilia

Postby abbie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:38 pm

almond milk is AMAZING! makes a gorgeous hot chocolate!
When others asked the truth of me, I was convinced it was not the truth they wanted, but an illusion they could bear to live with. Anais Nin
abbie

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:08 am

Ashilia wrote:Thanks for all of the replies! I think I'll try the reduced fat soy milk.

!?!?!?!

Reduced fat soymilk tastes like urine. There is no reason to go low fat... ever. Go for full fat soymilk, which has negligible ammounts of fats anyhow. SILK brand has one that even has vegan DHA and a good balance of Omega fatty acids. Might as well get healthy fats on purpose, and it tastes good too.

Perhaps avoid the fats is your problem.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Ashilia » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:39 am

xrodolfox wrote:Go for full fat soymilk, which has negligible ammounts of fats anyhow.

I'm not as concerned about the fat content as much as the flavor, but eek at the idea of drinking something which remotely tastes like urine.
Ashilia

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:14 am

I don't think it actually tastes like urine, he was just making a point.

I haven't had a problem with the Light Silk, but it's up to your tastes.

And they make one with omega-3??? Where can I get this???
Fallen_Horse

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:40 am

Fallen_Horse wrote:I don't think it actually tastes like urine, he was just making a point.

I haven't had a problem with the Light Silk, but it's up to your tastes.

And they make one with omega-3??? Where can I get this???

... at your local grocer.

http://omega3.silksoymilkplus.com/

Nutritional Information
Nutritional Information wrote:Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup (240 mL)
Servings per container 8

Amount per Serving
Calories 110
Calories from Fat 45

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5g 8%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 120mg 5%
Potassium 350mg 10%
Total Carbohydrates 8g 3%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 6g
Protein 7g
Vitamin A 20%
Vitamin C 35%
Calcium 35%
Iron 6%
Vitamin D 30%
Vitamin E 20%
Vitamin K 15%
Riboflavin 30%
Vitamin B6 30%
Folate 20%
Vitamin B12 50%
Phosphorus 10%
Magnesium 10%
Zinc 10%
Selenium 8%

SilkIsSoy.com wrote:Is Silk Plus vegetarian?
Absolutely! Like all of our Silk products, our Silk Plus DHA Omega-3, Silk Plus Fiber and Silk Plus for Bone Health are vegetarian. In fact, Silk soy products are not made with any animal products; they are purely vegan. Additionally, all of our Silk products are made with soybeans that have not been genetically modified.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Oak » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:29 pm

There are loads of plant milks.

In the shops here you can get soya, almond, rice, oat, and quinoa just off the top of my head. Also you get mixtures of them too. I know lots of of people like this one called bonsoy to begin with. A mixture of barley and soya.

Oh just remembered there is a pea and sunflower milk too, basically enjoy all the different flavours and experiments. Some will be ugh and others will be Mmmm

Oak :)
Oak

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:01 pm

xrodolfox wrote:... at your local grocer.

Oh man I gotta look for this, but I don't think they have it around here. Too bad it's not light either. How much omega-3 does it have, do you know?
Fallen_Horse

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:15 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:
xrodolfox wrote:... at your local grocer.

Oh man I gotta look for this, but I don't think they have it around here. Too bad it's not light either. How much omega-3 does it have, do you know?

I'm sure they have it Colorado. They manfacture it there.

I've found it for $5 for two half-gallons before, even though it regularly runs an expensive $3.89 a half gallon. I get it at major stores like Bucsh's, Meijers, and Target, as well as in specialty grocers like Whole Foods and local Co-ops. I find it in the refrigerated dairy isle along side "lactaid" cow milk and regular cow milk.

Silk brand does have a "Light" version... but I still don't get the reason for it existing. Full fat all the way!
(Even though 5g for a full 8oz glass isn't much anyhow.)
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Next

Return to New Vegan