Diet coke & gum?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Muay Jin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:38 am

I got a fight coming up, I got reminded by Soy.bean ... i'd completely forgotten about the date of the fight, so now i gotta lose the weight the hard, hard way.
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:59 am

kelsey wrote:Not sure about that plamil chocolate havent tried it but ive smelt it and think it smells like cheap chocolate so that kind of put me off but hey cheap chocolate will be better than no chocolate when my craving kicks in!

Green & Black's have loads of variuos vegan chocolates and they are brilliant! Maya Gold is my absolute favourite, but they also have normal (dark) chocolate, nuts and/or fruit, mint chips, mint creme and so on.

(Damn, now I got a craving for chocolate! :evil: )
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby ktchncnt » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:58 pm

My best friend bought me some dark chocolate from our local Aldi that was vegan, and since it was Aldi it was pretty inexpensive and hit the spot for me. Mmm...I wish I had a car so I could go buy some more...in bulk.

Also, I tried So Delicious ice cream for the first time in the Very Cherry Chip flavor and almost went into a sugar happy fit. It was amazing. Cherry and chocolate? Yes, please. Only downside was that Trader Joe's only sold it in quarts so I just haaaaad to eat more than the normal pint I would've bought :)
"Women have all the same muscles that men do and should be free to develop them as they wish..."
ktchncnt

Postby kelsey » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:34 pm

-laura- wrote:you can get great vegan chocolate and ice cream, maya gold chocolate is nice, as is the plamil range and swedish glace make scrummy vegan ice cream, chocolate and caramel are my faves

Mwahhhh I just had the vanilla swedish glace ice cream it was so yummy had to have 2 bowls!
kelsey

Postby kelsey » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Thanx for all your sweet tooth tips guys and girls! They have been a big help these last few days.

I had some Maya Gold earlier and I found it was more satisfying than a bar of milk chocolate. I felt really full after not like with some chocolate bars when I eat one and could easily carry on eating more!

Anyway cheers.
kelsey

Postby cyan.id » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:48 am

Why don't you try diet coke and Mentos? 8)
cyan.id

my new addiction

Postby kelsey » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:14 pm

cyan.id wrote:Why don't you try diet coke and Mentos? 8)

Actually ive been meaning to write for a while and update everyone i gave up my diet coke addiction and sugarfree gum same day went vegan (FYI-5th october and still going strong!) after reading some disturbing stuff about sweetners. suffered terrible headache first few days but that could have been down to the caffeine in the diet coke there is shit loads in the stuff.

Someone wrote I would lose my sweet tooth which i didnt believe but sure enough 2 wks in it got replaced with a craving for savoury stuff!!! i now love crisps, samosas and veg pakoras lol. im addicted to doritos chilli heatwave crisps and kettle chips - especially the balsamic vinegar flavour!

As for the going vegan thing had no problems really except other peoples reaction to it. i was vegetarian anyway so people at work havent noticed but ive had to tell close family & friends and they've been quite negative towards it told me the usual crap like how vegans get sick a lot and are really pale blah, blah, blah!

But I can honestly say i have never felt better i have so much more energy, my skin is clearer and i lost about 7 lbs in the first 2 wks, not lost anymore since but i feel lighter though even so. People have commented on how well im looking, same people that are warning me about the dangers of a vegan diet lol.

Btw this forum has been so helpful to me so keep up the good work!
kelsey

Postby RAZ » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:08 am

I was just about to post and warn you of the sweetners in diet coke and the like. I think these sweetners should either be banned or the products should have to have health warnings on them.
It's wonderful to hear that it's all going so well for you! The feeling great thing is common among vegans. I think most agree they feel better as vegans than they did as non vegans.

Don't worry about those few who give you flack. Just remember, they probably don't feel as good as you because they aren't vegan, and it's hard to be kind and accepting when you feel bad yourself.

I hope you continue to enjoy your veganism and that you will enjoy it for the duration of your prolonged vegan life! :D
"Drink some concrete and harden up"
RAZ

Aspartame

Postby GregX999 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:13 pm

Yes, I agree with Raz. The sweeteners used in diet soda are basically poison. Do a google search for "Aspartame".

Did you know the NutraSweet company is actually owned by Monsanto?

Greg
GregX999

Re: Diet coke & gum?

Postby aliquis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:52 am

kelsey wrote:Hi there would anyone be able to help me?

I have not eaten meat and fish for a long time and now I have decided to take the next step and go vegan but I want to know if these things are vegan friendly cos I have a lot of them - diet coke and sugarfree gum?

I also have a very sweet tooth and love chocolate and ice cream so is there anything aside from fresh and dried fruit I can have to satisfy my sweet tooth?

Cheers,
Kelsey
Both coke and atleast wrigleys gums are supposed to be ok.
Dark chocolate, anything from plamil and soy icecream are ok aswell.
aliquis

Re: Aspartame

Postby aliquis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:00 am

GregX999 wrote:Yes, I agree with Raz. The sweeteners used in diet soda are basically poison. Do a google search for "Aspartame".

Did you know the NutraSweet company is actually owned by Monsanto?

Greg
Poison and poison...

Aspartame contains of two aminoacids and methanol. Your body will break it down and the aminoacids will be used as they always are, and 10% of the aspartame will become metanol, which breaks down into what in swedish is called ant acid (which is what may damage your eyes) and that breaks down to formaldehyde which is NOT good for your body.

Anyway he usual argument for the small risk of this is that regular juice may contain more metanol, but then it also contains etanol which the liver will try to break down at the same time, and therefor metanol breakdown will happen slower and because of that if may leave your body thru transpiration, urine.. afaik.

Anyway probably none of the artificial sweeteners are good for you, but then lots of people consume them and so long not much have happened.

First I ever consumed them, then I was told they was safe so I started, then there was two studies in 2004 and 2005 which wasn't that nice concerning aspartame so then I thought I should stop but it's so easy to pick up the occational sweet... Now I try to avoid it but sometimes I ignore it.

Acesulfame-K isn't that good either.
Sucralose seems to be ok for now, thought it has three chloride atoms within its molecules.
Saccarine and Cyclamate I won't consume (except in toothpaste..)
Stevia isn't sold as food within EU.

Since aspartame is 200 times sweeter than sugar you will only use 0.5 gram to replace 100 gram of sugar, and that amount will only give you 0.05 gram of metanol, you decide for yourself if you think it will hurt you.
Last edited by aliquis on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:03 am

ddalavi wrote:Oh my my, you poor new vegan! There are tons of sweetie-sweets to satisfy your cravings. Chocolate 'Soy Delicious' or 'So Delicious' as I believe it's called now will take care of the ice cream and the chocolate cravings in one swoop. There is so much more out there I don't even know where to begin...

Watch out with those sugerfree's... I read that all that stuff is carcinogenic in one way or another.
Thought fried potatoes and bread are to.. cinnemon aswell if I remember correctly, for instance. I'm not saying they are good for you thought ..

Also considering how well tested aspartame is and how much it has been used I think it's kind of weird all the complains on sweeteners from everyone is always regarding aspartame. I would say it just happened to get a bad reputation and everyone keeped on doing it.

Anyway I would prefer Stevia, I guess.
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:05 am

-laura- wrote:you can get great vegan chocolate and ice cream, maya gold chocolate is nice, as is the plamil range and swedish glace make scrummy vegan ice cream, chocolate and caramel are my faves
Are this the tofulines you are speaking of or something else? In tofuline I like the mocca (coffee) stuff the most.
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:16 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol#Health_and_safety

Not nice stuff, but it seems like the fatal dose is over 100mL, so around 2000 times more than what 100g of sugar substitute from aspartame would give you. And many sugar free products contains various sugar alcohols, acesulfame-k and aspartame in an combination making the amount of aspartame and metanol even smaller.

I still don't know what is the right thing to do =P

Sugar free sweets are probably "better" than soda atleast because often you don't eat that much, it's easy to consume vast amounts of sugar free soda thought, with lots of sweet taste.
aliquis

Postby fredrikw » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:41 am

aliquis wrote:
Are this the tofulines you are speaking of or something else? In tofuline I like the mocca (coffee) stuff the most.

yeah, Tofuline is called Swedish Glace outside Sweden. strange huh? :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to New Vegan