Joe Weider: Capitalism at its finest

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Joe Weider: Capitalism at its finest

Postby J » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:42 pm

In baseball, boxing and bodybuilding we see the wonders of unregulated capitalism. A few powerful men kicking and scratching for every last cent as they destroy the greater group they are a part of. In boxing you fight for Don King, Bob Arum or one other guy or you better pretend you suck while just barely winning because otherwise you'll never get that big fight. In baseball, they juiced the ball and the players to make a short term profit and now they're trying to disband teams. In bodybuilding it's Joe Weider.

Sergio Oliva interview
http://www.iartonline.ca/articles/olivainterview.html
Serge Nubret used to be the big man when it came to running contests. Weider also put him out of the business because Serge did not want to run the contests the way Weider wanted to run them ­ his way with the placings predetermined.
--
It's politics, the Weider bullshit magazines. But they control everything. If you try and fight it they will do everything to get you out of the way. They control all the contests, equipment and bodybuilders. And bodybuilders have to go with Weider because where else are they going to compete? They have to bend and go with them.
--
Anything I have to say about Jones is good. He is the only honest man I met in bodybuilding. If he says "I'm going to pay you so much", he does. If he says that he's going to train you a particular way, and next year you're going to look a certain way, then you will look that way. He's the type of person you like to be around; the type of person you like to deal with since he won't screw you or use you. Totally different from those other assholes. And everyone who went down to Florida knows that. And it's too bad... if Jones was the one running all the competitions, there would have been a lot of changes. He should have been the one to run the Mr. Olympia and other contests.
--
BDJ: What are your thoughts on some of the past Mr. Olympias, in regards to political tampering? How about the 1979 Mr. Olympia between Zane and Mentzer?

SO: Mentzer all the way. There is no doubt about it. But don't forget, Mike came from the outside; Zane was with Weider. Don't let anybody fool you. Zane, Arnold, Columbu, Haney... all those guys were under contract.

--
And I could not do any better than eighth place because all those guys on the stage are the same ones endorsing his vitamins, proteins, magazines, equipment... I didn't do anything for him, because he didn't do anything for me. As a matter of fact, he took away from me. But I decided to come back for that contest. And who picks the judges? Weider. So, how can you win?

Paul Brodeur interview
http://www.mikementzer.com/brodeur.html
"Then bodybuilding started changing and I saw the politics and as I talked to other top bodybuilders they spoke about how Weider already has decided who is getting the promotional contract and that's who will be winning the contest, and other crap like this. A nice way to say it is that I'm not fond of Weider.
J

Postby sensless » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:08 pm

"And now for a suprise entry in this years Olympia, from France, Serge Nubret."

That is one of my favorite lines from Pumping Iron. Serge was a last minute entry, a suprise entry? He came in looking the part of the champion, fully prepared. Sillyness.

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Mary » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:22 pm

Neil has been looking for Pumping Iron for ages - he saw it when he was younger, and tells me it is really good - and very funny. Is there a site you can buy it from? (Yes, I know it features the dreaded arnie, but he was good for something!)
Mary

Postby sensless » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:18 pm

It was rereleased recently (last year or so), so you should be able to find it anywhere that DVD's are sold.

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby JP » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:29 pm

...alternatively, i'll send you a copy ;)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:48 pm

YAY! That'll really cheer the Neilly up. :D 8) Excellent!
Mary

Postby J » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:06 pm

Serge Nubret was told a week before the contest that it was already decided that Arnold would win. As a result Serge quit training and wasn't going to enter. At the last minute he changed his mind. He says he lost 10 pounds of muscle because he didn't train for the week before the contest. Anyway he still should have won.

Sergio Oliva was also better than Arnold. Weider took care of that by suspending Sergio.

Arnold should have come in about 10th during his comeback in 1980. Of course he won. Mentzer should have won and came in 5th and quit bodybuilding.

Who ever is endorsing Weider products wins. Furthermore Weider apparently thinks it looks good to have some really big names. Thus the same guy wins over, and over again. Arnold 6 or 7 times. Then Haney 6 or 7 times, then Yates 6 or 7 times. And now Coleman I guess. (Who's taking so much of some drug his face is seriously changing shape.)

And Weider doesn't want any drug testing for whatever reason so there you have it. The entire sport ruined by one asshole.
J

Postby JP » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:18 pm

coleman is a beast - he is not winnig because of endorsement, he is winning because no one else comes even close by todays standards. Dexter Jackson would be better in my opinion because he is not just a mass monster (though of course juiced up to his eyeballs, and doesn't keep it as a secret either).

I share your opinions on weider, but on the issue of drug testing it is not him, it's the whole IFBB bodybuilders included. There are no naturals in that fed, not even in local comps of EFBB, at least thats what i'm told and how it looks like.

I do hate weider mags with a passion, flex etc. I think the biggest single factor in what held me back in my gains is the fact that i kept polluting my mind of mags like Flex. Putting all the back issues in the recycling bin was a liberating moment :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby sensless » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:47 pm

I don't think that Serge Nubret should have beaten Arnold. Arnold's posing was more fluid and his muscle seemed thicker while retaining the proper shape on his frame. 1980 Mr. Olympia was a disgrace to the sport, just like Bev Francis getting the shaft when she competed.

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby muscle-militia » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:55 am

Sergio Oliva was GENETICALLY better than Arnold, but Arnie was more complete - solid detail through out.

As for the Serge Nubret and the loss of 10 pounds of muscle because he didn't train for the week before the contest. ! week out, due to the water cycle and diet from a 12 week pre-show you aint gonna loose 10lbs. I thought this was a defeated man talking, and hate to say it - excuses.

However I do wonder about the Mike vs Arnie in the 80's Mike never had the mass that Arnie had tho, still I had Mentzer 1st.

For me it is a love hate thing with Weider and Arnie. Where would our sport be without em? Yeah Arnie was gifted (…wins via Weider) but lets not forget, he was worthy of most of his titles. Just as Coleman today - and Cutler will have him soon.
But I too hate the exploitation of its power that Weider uses:
"O, it is excellent to have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant." William Shakespeare
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights