Feeling Nauseated... Help?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Feeling Nauseated... Help?

Postby dannanelson » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:45 pm

I switched from a vegetarian to vegan diet about 1 month ago, and almost immediatley I noticed that I started feeling nauseated 2-3 times per day, usually 4 or 5 hours after eating (when I would typically start to get a little hungry again). I also noticed that when I feel so sick, also get very sleepy. Frequently this also happens after a work-out or long run.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I eat a balanced diet with plenty of grains, fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, and soy. I also drink lots of water (and no, I'm not pregnant...)

Any advice is appreciated!

Danna
dannanelson

Postby puppydog » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:35 pm

this is not normal. see a doctor.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Fruitbat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:46 pm

seeing a doctor is probably the only sensible thing to do. it could be caused by a food allergy or intolerance but it is strange how it affects you after training as well. good luck
Fruitbat

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:48 pm

I would also say talk to a doc, but I also want to ask, how many calories are you getting? How much water?
Fallen_Horse

Postby clare155 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:12 pm

I also agree to check with a doctor - I did as I found myself feeling sick in the mornings and thought I was pregnant, but it turned out it was low blood sugar that was causing that feeling. I found that by eating fruit throughout the day I lost the sick feeling.

So that may have something to do with it, but as ever it is better to check it out with your doc!
clare155

Postby Gelert » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:22 pm

This could be some intolerance to a new food your eating or something, but I would strongly recommend you see your doctor if you're at all concerned.
Gelert

Postby dannanelson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:30 am

Calories? Between 2200 and 2400
Water? Gee, its been about 95 degrees Farenheit here, so I am drinking lots.... somewhere around 7 or 8 pints?
dannanelson

Postby fredrikw » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:36 am

have you increased your water intake since going vegan? how about your salt intake? if you drink lots of water, don't eat food with any salt in it and perhaps exercising as well when it's very warm, you can easily get low on electrolytes (salt), and the symtoms is exactly what you describe.

but all this is of course just guessing from a novice, best is to seek professional help.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby abbie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:07 pm

i find if i eat high fat foods i feel nauseas a few hours later :cry:
When others asked the truth of me, I was convinced it was not the truth they wanted, but an illusion they could bear to live with. Anais Nin
abbie

Return to New Vegan