Skipping challenge.

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Skipping challenge.

Postby VeganGraham » Thu May 17, 2007 9:36 am

How many skips can you do in 10 minutes, 3 minutes or 30 seconds ?
Count the number of turns, not the number of jumps, so if you want to do doubles, they count as two.
I've just bought one of these for under a fiver from Tesco which makes it easier to keep count.

30 seconds
Code: Select all
hoffmeister        96
spug_myers         90
Muay Jin           84
vorshlumpf         79
Drummer Boy        75
Ralst              72
Big Good Wolf      64

3 minutes
hoffmeister         470
vorshlumpf          428
Big Good Wolf       399
Cookie              146

10 minutes
hoffmeister        1388
Big Good Wolf      1198
The Duke            550

As a comparison, the British Rope Skipping Association records are 94 in 30 seconds or 439 in 3 minutes. They don't list a 10 minute event.
The International Rope Skipping Federation no longer lists world records on their website.
Last edited by VeganGraham on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby The Duke » Thu May 17, 2007 9:44 am

None!
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Re: Skipping challenge.

Postby SpugFab » Thu May 17, 2007 9:49 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:I've just bought one of these for under a fiver from Tesco which makes it easier to keep count.

How do you find that rope? Does it turn well?

Maybe I could use my pedometer to count the skips.
SpugFab

Postby VeganGraham » Thu May 17, 2007 9:59 am

I only just bought it last night and this morning is the first time I have used it.
I've been using the cheaper, non counting version for the past week or so, which I much prefer to the old fibre rope type. Apart from the shape of the handles, there's nothing to tell them apart in use.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby SpugFab » Thu May 17, 2007 10:37 am

I'll maybe pick one up and give it a go then, the counter challenge is appealing.

I think we should scrap the 3 minute challenge and go with one lasting 3 mins 50 seconds instead.

That's how long Eye of the Tiger is.

You know it makes sense.
SpugFab

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:30 am

Well if no one else is going to have a go I'll just use this thread as a record of my own PBs. :P
Just done 1198 in 10 minutes.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby The Duke » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:00 pm

BGW

Do you think it is helping you?

If so, how so?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 pm

Short answer;
Yes, it's increasing my heart and lung capacity, which I see as my weak point.

Longer answer;
Yes. Although I have only recently started lifting weights and I am thinking of working towards entering a strongman competition, I am not entirely sure that is the way I want to go. I am aiming more for an overall increase in strength and endurance.
I can see why a dedicated cyclist would not want to add 10kg of arm and chest muscles, it's just another 10kg to carry around that does very little to make the bike go faster.
I can see why a strongman would not want to spend time on 2 hour bike rides training for 75 second strongman events.
I don't want to train any one aspect to the exclusion of any other. At the moment weights, skipping and cycling suits me fine.
I want to increase my heart and lung capacity (or do "cardio" as I now know it's called) and I find skipping a good way of overcoming my lack of self discipline.
I can work hard up hill on the mountain bike, but then there is always the temptation to take it easy once I'm on the flat. Without a training partner to race against, I'm sure I'm not pushing myself as hard as I should.
Moggy's rowing machine is different. I can set it to show two little boats on the screen, one is me now and the other is a previous row over the same distance so am sort of racing against myself. Any slacking and the earlier me gets ahead.
Skipping is a bit like that. I've got to keep going hard at it for the full 10 minutes, there's no opportunity to slow down and select a lower gear like there is on the bike.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby ralst » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Hey BGW, I'm in on this!

59 in 30 seconds (good enough for second place :P) I'll have a go at improving that in the next few days, then try for the 3 minutes challenge.

- Eric
ralst

Postby ralst » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:07 pm

Got 72 in 30 seconds last night :D

- Eric
ralst

Postby drummer boy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:39 pm

Hey, I just saw this! I guess I should browse some of the other forums more often :wink: I'm definitely in! I love jumpin' rope and I especially love jumpin' rope fast :D

You can put me down for 75 in 30 seconds. I have to do these the old-fashioned way for now, I don't have one of those fancy rope-counters. I have to start my stopwatch, start jumping, and look down at my stopwatch when I think 30 seconds have gone by :x So today I did 75 with 29 seconds on the stopwatch. That means I lost a second at the end. And I probably lost a second at the beginning while starting the watch and then getting set for jumping. So I think I'm good for 80 pretty soon, I just have to figure out a better way to time it. I guess the solution is get someone else to time it and I just do the jumping :)
the journey of a thousand miles begins with just one rep

http://panjabiradio.org/archive
drummer boy

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:04 pm

Straight in to the top of the list. Good going, Drummer Boy.
Somehow I managed to miss the New Post icon against this thread. Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you for a week.
Most mobile phones have got a countdown timer. If you set it to 40 seconds, put it where you can see it, start skipping at 30 seconds to go, then listen for the alarm, that should do the trick. Otherwise you could use any clock with a display big enough to read from a few feet away placed in front of you and just keep an eye on it while skipping.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby Muay Jin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:14 am

Aha, I've just discovered this thread BGW, prepare to be SHAMED... possibly tomorrow when I awake after a night out.
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Postby Cookie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:54 pm

I bought one of the Tesco counting ropes. Hoping that it will help improve my bounce for tkd, as well as burn calories and help with fitness. Only problem is that I need to get coordinated first- only 146 in 3 minutes :oops: :oops: :lol:
Cookie

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:50 pm

146 in 3 minutes. Straight in at number 2 on the table and top woman so far. 8)
No need for the :oops:. At least your not all talk and no action like spug and jin. :P
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness