What foods are always in your shopping cart/ fridge/ pantry?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby ChrisJ » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Great list. I'd add fresh red chillis - vit C, great taste, add colour, etc. And garlic.

Feel free to ignore this bit if it's against the 'basics' spirit of the thread, but if I were nominating some essential flavourings/seasoning/spices, apart from salt and black pepper, I'd go for whole cumin seeds, a jar of 'lazy' ginger (keeps for quite a while in the 'fridge), a block of fresh coconut (ditto), lime juice, dried parsley, oregano, turmeric, coriander leaf and basil, a small tub of vegan 'parmesan' and a bottle of soy sauce.
Together with the other ingredients mentioned you're then able to produce a big range of 'styles' of food, even if you're not being completely authentic; S Asian, Thai, Chinese, Italian, N African, etc.

Of course I'm surprised no-one's mentioned olives yet... :)
Something profound.
User avatar
ChrisJ
Active Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:17 pm
Location: Gloucester, UK

Postby Man On Bike. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:58 pm

Olives are a luxury IMO. Not really essential for everyday nutrition, but f--king lush nontheless.
Man On Bike.
Active Member
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:19 am

Postby skinnydog » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Shouldn't olives be under protein? I thought they were a complete protein, or have I been wrong all these years?

I'd add Cider viniger. Very good stuff.
User avatar
skinnydog
Active Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: UK

Postby passionforcompassion » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:26 am

I'd add oats under grains! I use oats a lot.

maple syrup might not qualify as a staple, but it sure it handy to have around.


Edit: Never mind, oats are in the original post. I use them for a variety of things. (i.e. grinding into flour, putting into baked goods etc.)
User avatar
passionforcompassion
Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:33 am

skinnydog wrote:Shouldn't olives be under protein? I thought they were a complete protein, or have I been wrong all these years?


Actually olives have almost no protein. :(
Fallen_Horse
Active Member
 
Posts: 1788
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:07 am
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA

Postby Man On Bike. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:49 pm

passionforcompassion wrote:I'd add oats under grains! I use oats a lot.

maple syrup might not qualify as a staple, but it sure it handy to have around.


Edit: Never mind, oats are in the original post. I use them for a variety of things. (i.e. grinding into flour, putting into baked goods etc.)
When I saw this I was thinking WTF, I eat porridge every morning, how could I have missed oats off the list FFS?! :shock:
Man On Bike.
Active Member
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:19 am

Postby tempehmomma » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:13 am

Dark leafy greens, Dark leafy greens, Dark leafy greens.

Collard greens
tempehmomma
Active Member
 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Postby Nepenthe » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:23 am

Cocoa.


Granted, it's not technically "essential"...but it is for me!

=)
Last edited by Nepenthe on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be worn out is to be renewed.
-Lao Tzu
User avatar
Nepenthe
New Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:29 pm
Location: NY USA

Postby skinnydog » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:35 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:
skinnydog wrote:Shouldn't olives be under protein? I thought they were a complete protein, or have I been wrong all these years?


Actually olives have almost no protein. :(


NOOOOOO!!! I wish i'd never had asked. I'd rather live in ignorance than have one of my favorate foods become 'useless' :cry:
User avatar
skinnydog
Active Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: UK

Postby Man On Bike. » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:53 pm

skinnydog wrote:NOOOOOO!!! I wish i'd never had asked. I'd rather live in ignorance than have one of my favorate foods become 'useless' :cry:
they're not useless, they contain plenty of good fat
Man On Bike.
Active Member
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:19 am

Postby skinnydog » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 pm

ok, that'll do me fine :D :wink:
User avatar
skinnydog
Active Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: Basic foods that vegans should try and have in the kitch

Postby Dann » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:40 pm

Man On Bike. wrote:Protein:

Lentils (green, red, yellow)
tinned Kidney beans (because dried beans take ages to prepare)
tinned Chick peas
Tofu*
Seitan*
Tempeh*
Nuts - peanuts, walnuts, cashews etc
Peanut butter
Various other tinned beans*: black beans, black eyed peas, gungo peas, butter beans, borlotti beans, white haricot beans



Tinned beans?

Rookie question. Does that mean canned? :roll:
And so it is
User avatar
Dann
Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Tampa Florida

Re: Basic foods that vegans should try and have in the kitch

Postby -laura- » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:23 pm

Dann wrote:
Man On Bike. wrote:Protein:

Lentils (green, red, yellow)
tinned Kidney beans (because dried beans take ages to prepare)
tinned Chick peas
Tofu*
Seitan*
Tempeh*
Nuts - peanuts, walnuts, cashews etc
Peanut butter
Various other tinned beans*: black beans, black eyed peas, gungo peas, butter beans, borlotti beans, white haricot beans



Tinned beans?

Rookie question. Does that mean canned? :roll:

yup :)
-laura-
Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:57 pm
Location: Hull England

Re: Basic foods that vegans should try and have in the kitch

Postby Dann » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:41 pm

-laura- wrote:
Dann wrote:
Man On Bike. wrote:Protein:

Lentils (green, red, yellow)
tinned Kidney beans (because dried beans take ages to prepare)
tinned Chick peas
Tofu*
Seitan*
Tempeh*
Nuts - peanuts, walnuts, cashews etc
Peanut butter
Various other tinned beans*: black beans, black eyed peas, gungo peas, butter beans, borlotti beans, white haricot beans



Tinned beans?

Rookie question. Does that mean canned? :roll:

yup :)


If ya don't know tinned beans mean canned beans.................................................................................................................................
You might be a Redneck.

Thanks Laura. :oops:
And so it is
User avatar
Dann
Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Tampa Florida

Postby Man On Bike. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:54 pm

In the UK we say 'tins' rather than 'cans' for food, because, the steel cans are lined with... guess what... tin, due to its corrosion-resistant properties.

However, drinks cans are just called cans. Nevertheless, some people do refer to cans of beer as 'tins', despite the fact that they're made of aluminium.
Man On Bike.
Active Member
 
Posts: 1673
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:19 am

PreviousNext

Return to New Vegan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest