Pogo Cafe, hackney :(

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby JP » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:00 am

aye, fair enough mate...

please do email that stuff to them as well though, places like that are desperate for constructive criticism!
JP
Site Admin

Re: Pogo Cafe, hackney :(

Postby bob_summers » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:13 am

i can agree with most points you make MOB, i live a couple of miles up the road and probably only visit a handful of times a year.

tho' not really fair to compare price with the 'macdonalds for adults' - wetherspoons exist to close down local businesses on terms of price..

[quote="Man On Bike."]If I ate meat or eggs I could get an awesome breakfast WITH TEA/COFFEE from the Wetherspoons down the road for 2-3 quid and I wouldn't still be hungry afterwards.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Man On Bike. » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:12 pm

You're right of course... wetherspoons do employ 'microwave technicians' rather than cooks
Man On Bike.

Postby mem » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:58 pm

Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but I love Pogo.

Their volunteer staff have never been anything other than excellent, they're always friendly and polite, and the food is delicious (the desserts are especially excellent).

I guess you just caught it on a bad day. Shame, really. If you're ever in the area again I highly recommend you give it another chance!

(edited for spelling)
mem

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:38 pm

I think if is fair enough for Man On Bike to post a negative review, because he:

- asks other people what they think (and therefore opens the way for other people to write positive reviews)

- makes it clear his expectations were high before going, from reading lots of excellent reviews, and that it might have been a one-off bad experience.

Therefore, the review was actually quite balanced.

Personally, I haven't been to Pogo for a year, so I have no recent experiences to report, and it might have changed a lot since I was last there.

From what I remember, I enjoyed the food (especially the cheezley toasty and the cakes), found the portions generous, but ...the big grilled window looked horrible and ugly, and no effort had been made to make the place look welcoming and cosy, by having curtains, plants, nice lighting etc. I also didn't like the way they used a cheap and nasty brand of soya milk in the tea.

Hopefully these small niggles have been sorted out. I cartainly gave them feedback, in person. In fact, I did some volunteering while I was there.
Hiking Fox

Postby WhenDanSaysJump » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:34 pm

I personally liked Pogo better in 2004/2005.

Not sure whether it was just the OOH factor because I hadn't been vegan as long then, or whether there has been a tangible dropoff in the quality of their munch.

Either way, it'll always hold a special place in my heart, and their milkshakes are the shiznit.
WhenDanSaysJump

Previous

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews