Do you Massage???

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Do you Massage???

Postby loveyourself » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:56 pm

I've noticed that quite a few of you are very dedicated to body building. I was wondering if any of you have used massage as a supplement to your work out routine?
"Only when you can be extremely pliable and soft, can you be extremely hard and strong." ~Zen Proverb
loveyourself

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:06 pm

can't live without it!! :)
Rhiannon

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:11 pm

I do yoga, which is even better than massage. :D Love it love it love it!

Mind you, Neil tells me I have never had a massage. He reckons it is the best thing ever.
Mary

Postby kettlebellnut » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:28 pm

I used to get a massage every month, then my massage therapist up and moves back to Ohio. :cry: I am still in mourning and haven't ventured to find someone new. After working with the same person for ~2 years, I haven't mustered the energy to start anew. :cry:

Rolfing is great, too.
kettlebellnut

pleasantly surprised

Postby loveyourself » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:33 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with Neil!

Massage is amazing and it brings about amazing results for athletes. I'm pleasantly surprised at how many of you actually do massage.

What type of massages do you receive?? Have you ever tried russian sports massage?
"Only when you can be extremely pliable and soft, can you be extremely hard and strong." ~Zen Proverb
loveyourself

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:36 pm

well...I'm fortunate to have a massage therapist for a mom :)

she's excellent...a healer, in the minds of many!

she does deep tissue/esalen style massage...really helps the lymphatic system to drain...I always feel renewed the next day!
Rhiannon

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:41 pm

I can't afford massage. :( Most I get is a loving rub on the back of my neck and shoulders. I massage Neil a few times every day as part of his physio, and it makes a tremendous difference. Not the same as a professional doing it though. And speaking of weight trainers, all the ones who won medals at the Olympics have masseurs and physios. I imagine, amongst other things, it releases the build up of lactic acid, and encourages muscles to repair by increasing blood flow.

My mum was a fantastic masseur by the way. I wish I had inherited her touch.
Mary

Postby Pete » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:01 pm

I am seriously considering doing sports massage maybe next year in college as it's one of the options I can do as an "add on" to the course I'm taking (depends how much trouble I have doing this course & how much time I've got spare etc)
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby tylerm » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:19 pm

Mary, I often don't have the extra $$ for a massage either. My step-grandfather told me he goes to a massage school about 20 minutes from where I live, and you get an hour massage for $30 US, which is about half the going rate elsewhere. He said they are always the senior students, about to graduate, and the massages are excellent.. you should check with any places around you like that, you may be able to get a bargain
tylerm

Postby sensless » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:49 pm

I have replaced massage with hot tub sitting. I like sitting in the hot tub for about an hour after a solid effort in the squat rack. I imagine that the massage would greatly increase recovery times, and would be a very relaxing thing to boot. Good idea for those that can afford.

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Heyutang » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:43 am

being a physio myself, of course I do think massage is really good, for just about everyone. There are so many kinds of massage, different styles for different people. Wow those prices in the US are really high, 30 USD per hour is cheap? I reckon British prices are very steep as well. In China however you can get a massage for 4 USD (or less) per hour, by blind masseurs- they are so good. And Chinese massage (tuina, it is called) is also very different as they massage the meridians and not the muscles. Really nice. And often the best kung fu masters are also the best masseurs, as they know the body and the meridians so well, and are so sensitive that they know immediately where the problem is.
What is that Russian sport massage someone mentioned here?
I am working on getting a job in a top Beijing hospital now, that would mean that I would be there for the next Olympics. I think that would be very exciting and all!
Heyutang

Postby loveyourself » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:18 am

Well, let me tell you about Russian Sports Massage. Not many therapists know this modality, but if you can find one you are very lucky indeed. This technique was refined in the former Soviet Union as an approach to overall sports training. This type of massage increases the matabolism, and circulation of blood and lymph. One massage is equivalent to one work out. It not only increases recovery time but can be helpful in losing weight, helping you look younger, and reducing celulite. Body builders find this modality beneficial because it increases muscle tone in a shorter amount of time. In other words this massage increases the amount of time it takes to make you look cut. This modality helps to fight fatique, increase stamina, increase rehab time, increase energy, and increase range of motion. It also makes you a better athlete. Many athletes see results the next day.

i feel i should clarify something this is not a nice yummy swedish or eselen massage. This is deep work and can be painful. Body builders get the bodies they have by making little tissue tears each time you lift weights. This type of massage helps to repair that damage so it can hurt a little, especially your first time. But if you compete this type of massage will give you an edge over your competitors, unless of course they recieve this type of massage. : )

About the massage schools, its totally true. You can find schools that offer an internship or clinic to their students. It enables them to get their hands on lots of bodies and you get a cheap massage in the process. Go to a reputible school though, make sure they know their stuff! Also you could try this type of massage out for 30 bucks at schools that offer it and that's an amazing price for this modality.

So I just wanted to throw that out there. Give it a try. The money you spend on taking care of yourself is totally worth it. And the results you get from taking care of yourself now and in the furture are priceless.
loveyourself

Postby sensless » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:45 pm

So is the Russian method you speak of similar to what is also referred to as a "Deep Tissue Massage"? The deep tissue massage can be a painful crossfiber rubdown along with other movements techniques that I don't know how to describe. It's benefits aren't usually recognized during the rubbing, but instead later in the day or the following day when your painful joints and areas of your body have become loosened and feel better thanks to the improved blood flow and released muscle tension.

There are always so many names for things that mean the same thing it can often become confused.

Regards,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby kettlebellnut » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:44 pm

How does Russian Sports Massage compare to Rolfing? I like really deep bodywork. Those fluffy spa massages just don't cut it.
kettlebellnut

russian vs other forms of massage

Postby loveyourself » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:44 pm

Russian Sports Massage follows the lymph flow. This is what makes it deeper then other types of massage and it's always why the results are better.

Rolfing is aligning the body to its healthy state. It's stacking your bones in verticle and horizontal planes by manipulating the muscles. By manipulating the muscles and relieving tension you are able to realign the body.

Deep Tissue Work is a swedish massage and maybe some trigger point work. This work incorporates the same exact strokes as swedish just deeper pressure. Trigger point is breaking down knots or bunched up fascia.

Most massage work except rolfing or structural, they follow their own rules to align muscles, follows the blood flow and works toward the heart. Russian follows the lymph flow and works toward the nearest lymph cluster. Which helps clean and filter your body of wastes a lot more proficiently.

Does this make sense? lol
loveyourself

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights