Fat loss tip of the day: Caffeine.

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Fat loss tip of the day: Caffeine.

Postby Shinobi » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:50 am

Of all the supplements available nowadays only two have a firm foundation of scientific support, one of these supplements is creatine and the other is caffeine.

Caffeine is a stimulant, meaning it speeds up bodily processes. The effects of caffeine include heightened concentration, faster reaction times and higher endurance levels. Caffeine also speeds up the body’s metabolic processes, which means that fat will be oxidised at a higher rate. It acts as an appetite suppressant, contains anti-oxidants, and numerous studies assert that moderate caffeine use is safe.

It is the extra endurance and metabolism boost that we are most interested in for our fat loss purposes. Simply put, if you can run for 30 minutes on a treadmill under normal conditions if you take a dose of caffeine you will be able to run for longer. The stimulant effect delays the onset of fatigue and is also thought to provide a mild lactic acid buffer.
While endurance athletes most often use the drug it can also be of use in the weights room to give you a mental and physical boost.

The way to use caffeine as a performance enhancer is to drink one cup of coffee or take the equivalent in caffeine pills thirty minutes before exercise. Personally, I’ve tried pills and cups and prefer the effect of drinking a cup as I feel the effects are more pronounced, but some who don’t like the taste may want to use a pill. To get the most benefit from the drug, use it only for exercise purposes and cut it out during the day. If you are a regular caffeine user and you want to try using it for exercise you might want to quit for a week before you start in order to lower your resistance to it. If you find yourself becoming tolerant to the effects gradually increase the dose by ½ a cup. It’s also best to cycle caffeine so use it for a few weeks then cycle off for a few weeks. A ratio of 1:2 on/off would be wise.

Now the drawbacks, caffeine is a diuretic meaning it will cause the body to lose water and dehydrate. For this reason, you must take in extra water before, during and after you exercise sessions. Aim for around 600ml or a standard drink bottle of water for every cup used. Remember that you should be drinking like a fish anyway so this amount is on top of the recommended 3 litres a day plus 1 litre per 30 mins of exercise. Caffeine also inhibits iron absorption and tends to leach calcium from bones. If your iron and calcium intake is adequate moderate use is perfectly safe. It may be best to separate your iron rich foods and you caffeine dose apart by a few hours. Another concern is that caffeine will raise your heart rate and therefore should not be used during exercise by people who are overweight, have high blood pressure, heart murmurs, high pulse rate or any other abnormality of the cardio-vascular system. I think people who are overweight should do cardio without drugs, as the fat will drop off just fine. Fat comes off more easily for people with high body fat however when body-fat levels come down to around 12% the fat becomes more stubborn. This is where caffeine can be help to assist your body to burn those stubborn layers of fat that obscure your hard earned muscles. Remember that caffeine can inhibit the effects of creatine so it’s not a good idea to consume coffee during a creatine cycle.
Shinobi

Postby Pete » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:00 pm

What I'm about to say is total hearsay (I think I read it in some muscle comic or maybe Testosterone on the net?), so it could well be rubbish, but I read that coffee has something in it that negates the effects that caffine gives you in the way of fat burning & you need caffeine pills if you want the fat burning effects? May be a crock, I don't know, but maybe someone out there has stumbled across some details? (or indeed you might know better Shinobi?)
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby H » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:30 pm

I read that the reason caffiene gives you a 'high' and speeds things up in your body is because your body reacts to it as a toxin and speeds up to get rid of it. Is this right? I've given it up recently and feel much better for it. I'm also drinking more water because I'm not drinking the tea and overall have much more energy than before.
H

Postby Pete » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:03 pm

H said
...I read that the reason caffiene gives you a 'high' and speeds things up in your body is because your body reacts to it as a toxin and speeds up to get rid of it...

That's not true, you do get clinical, repeatable reactions. It's a drug, it has a physiological, measurable effect on the body.
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby Strix » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:46 pm

Is creatiine supposed to burn fat too? I took a liquid creatine for a six-month period and my performance improved a lot. It was a formula for running, but I don't know if that was just a gimmick because all their liquid formulas looked like they were mostly, exactly the same.
I lost fat, but I wasn't sure if it was the creatine which actually burned it or if it was the fact that I was running like a mad woman that did it!
Strix

Postby Shinobi » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:55 am

Most likely the running. Creatine works by increasing the creatine stores in the muscle which are used during anerobic, high-intensity burst activity like weightlifting or sprints. AFAIK, there are no studies showing any significant benefit with creatine supplimentation for aerobic activities.
Shinobi

Postby Strix » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:15 am

Shinobi wrote:Most likely the running. Creatine works by increasing the creatine stores in the muscle which are used during anerobic, high-intensity burst activity like weightlifting or sprints. AFAIK, there are no studies showing any significant benefit with creatine supplimentation for aerobic activities.

Well, I figured it was the running; but I have no doubt the creatine gave me the boost of "energy" to run faster, harder, and longer which, in turn, contributed to the fat loss. I took this brand http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mm/xtra.html, but not this product. I believe they have discontinued the running formulas. These have pretty much the same ingredients though. At first, they had a vegan one and then that was gone and the only ones available had honey and royal jelly. Anyway, it's not the same as "loading" with powdered creatine. I found it worked it great. The liquid running formula was not for muscle gain; it was for endurance and performance. Too bad they discontinued it. Last I heard, it wasn't selling well; and that was a couple years ago.
Strix

Postby justin » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:42 am

I would be very surprised if creatine had any effects on fat loss, it may help to preserve muscle loss slightly when dieting or increas endurance for cardio while dieting.

Caffeine is overated IMO, though it does work.
I have used Caffeine pills before with Ephedrine back in the days when it very popular. Caffeine helped me by also surpressing my appetitie slighlty aswell as thermogenic, and metabolic effects.
Problem with caffeine is you develop a tolerance quite quickly and effects subside as a result.
justin

Postby Shinobi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:53 am

That's right Justin. That's why you cycle it. What's ephedra like? It's banned in Oz but pseudoephidrine is legal in Codral. (A cold remedy.) That stuff gets me whacked. Is ephidrine similar in effect?
Shinobi

Postby jillbren » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:33 pm

:D

I used to think I ran better on caffeine, and I HAD to have a mug of coffee before I worked out. It sounds crazy. I gave up coffee about a month ago, and at first I was really lethargic, but now I have more energy than ever. I do not think one should become a caffeine addict to work out better. You can do it on your own.
jillbren

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness