Fit For Life(r's) Speak Up

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Fit For Life(r's) Speak Up

Postby Renecarol25 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:03 pm

I know a few people who are doing this diet.. After rolling my eyes and saying it was complete nonsense I don't really feel like going back to those people to ask questions. Anyway I thought it might be a good way to get my weight under 140 fast.. I certainly wouldn't want to eat that way forever. Anyhow I have some questions so if you are doing this diet. speak up!
Renecarol25

Postby JO » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:00 pm

Hello ReneCarol:

Fit for life -- here's my hasty reply. Though I don't call my regimen "Fit for life", I do pretty much adhere to food combining principles.

In a very general way, they -- whoever the food-combining people are -- have said that digesting different types of food separately is more efficient and leads to weight loss -- although I don't know why inefficient digestion would lead to weight maintenance or gain. Nevertheless, I have found what they say to be true with moderate to slightly excessive calorie consumption, but eventually the consumption/expenditure formula kicks in, even if one does not mis-combine foods.

Vegan food combining is different from omnivorous food combining though, because many complex carbs are high in protein and legumes play such a big role. I don't really worry about keeping them separate. What has worked for me is a daily plan of fruit for breakfast (or vegetables), then salads, grains, legume-dips, soy milk, nuts, and more salads, scattered throughout the day.

THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO AVOID SWEETS and refined carbs throughout the rest of the day, and not eat like a [vegan] wolverine at night.

Comments, anyone else?

JO
JO

Postby Renecarol25 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:44 pm

Can you give a sample days meal? I plan to eat as many of the same foods that I have been eating. For instance, I would changing eating a smartdeli turkey / rice cheese sandwich with soy yogurt and fruit to having a small spinach, broccoli, carrots, etc salad with a couple slices of smart deli turkey slices and a soy yoghurt. So bread and rice cheese being replaced by salad/veggies. For my carb meals I could do various pasta vegetable combos with spaghetti sauce and bread. I haven't been eating a lot pasta lately so it'll be nice to have those "carb" meals. I think the diet will help me (for the most part) stay away from obvious no-no foods like pizza. Though I suppose a cheese-less veggie pizza would okay on occasion. What do you think? And how much fruit should I eat during the fruit phase. Lately I've been eating a bagel with better'n'cream cheese with a banana or some other fruit in the morning. I guess starting monday I'll be giving that up cause that's an obvious no-no too.
Renee
Renecarol25

Postby JO » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:24 pm

I've noticed how much weight you lift -- the menus below may not have quite enough protein. I usually try to have a pound of raw veg over the course of the day. It's do-able.

Yesterday was a pretty good day, eating-wise.

Breakfast: Two gigantic apples
Lunch 1: Tabbouli (this is bulger wheat salad with parsley etc) (14-oz tub of it, about 450 calories or so, protein & fat okay)
Lunch 2: 3 little pkg edensoy
Dinner: "fantastic" (brand name) vegan sesame miso raman, and gigantic salad (eating it is time consuming so a salad could be made at the beginning of the day -- eat half during day and have the rest at dinner or something) of romaine (~4 oz), sprouted wheat/lentils/azuki, zucchini (one small), and broccoli (one small stalk) w/2 T olive oil and pepper
Later: peanut butter on whole wheat pita bread

So was the day before, come to think of it:
Breakfast: Orange, two bananas
Lunch 1: carrots (the little ready to eat 1# bags)
Lunch 2: pasta w/marinara sauce (NO cheese, just garnish with hot pepper flakes and dried oregano)
Lunch 3: 3 little pkg edensoy
Dinner: Hummos w/celery

--
JO
JO

Postby Renecarol25 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:51 pm

So far today I've had 2 apples and 2 bananas and its not even 9am yet. All I have left to eat is an orange and a kiwi. I should have brought more fruit. I don't know how fruitarians do it.. cause I don't know if I'm going to have enough energy to run 5 miles on nothing but fruit. For lunch I have a salad (spinach, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, sunflower seeds) with a vinagrette dressing. Also have smartdeli (veg turkey slices if I get really hungry) and o'soy yoghurt.

Comment on what you said about fit for life. I've read that fit for life is meant (preferable) to be followed on a vegan diet. Though some people adapt it to fit their vegetarian or pseudo-vegetarian diets. So I would think if the makers (for lack of a better work) of the fit for life diet intend for it to be followed on a vegan diet then they very much intend for you to separate your vegan proteins from your vegan carbs. Just my two pence.
Renecarol25

Postby JO » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:32 pm

I wouldn't rely on fruit! My food combining days -- I'm sorry to say -- started with the Beverly Hills Diet in the mid-1990s, which is all about fruit (in its initial phase) and I don't think this was designed with endurance athletes in mind. I don't know how many times I set off for a distance run (4 miles or more) when that pineapple I had for breakfast would cause a blood sugar crash and I would have to pretty much crawl home after only 2 miles.

On weekdays, I usually do an early a.m. workout and then have some fruit when I get to work, knowing that I'll be able to have something more substantial a few hours later. Sometimes I don't bother with fruit on the weekends.

JO
JO

Postby Renecarol25 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:54 pm

Thus far I have had exactly what I brought in to eat today. I forgot to mention the onions in the salad earlier. I'm doing okay with the diet now. I think it'll get easier each day.
Renecarol25

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating