In need of support for a newbe

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

In need of support for a newbe

Postby vcat79 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:25 pm

About 5 months ago, I decided to cut out meat and had no problem. Then I decided to go vegan and have been struggling with being successful thus far.
Like any lifestyle change, I understand they can be hard. Anyone have any advice as to how I can make the transition a little easier. I am struggling with the dairy from time to time, and I really feel this has to do with habit and sometimes my depressed mood. I really get down on myself when these times happen. And it doesn't help that everyone else around me would be more than happy to see me fail because then they don't have to look at themselves.
I exercise 5-6 times a week doing aerobic activities, weight training, yoga, and pilates. I probably spend a total of 10 hours a week in the gym. I am wondering if my training has anything to do with my struggles. Maybe not getting enough of a specific food group and then I crave dairy products? I feel addicted in a way. And like I mentioned above, I become disappointed in myself. It has been a rollercoast ride. Any advice?
Victoria
Congruence is key to living a life of true happiness...
vcat79

Postby october_lost » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:01 pm

vcat79, look at the positives, do you feel your getting anything out of the conversion? I certainly felt much fresher and was loosing weight easily.

What alternatives to dairy are trying? There maybe something in that which needs exploring.
october_lost

Postby huah » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:26 pm

Are you getting enough healthy fats? When I first switched, I didn't realize that most of the foods I was eating had absolutely no fat whatsoever. Consequently, I had the worst ice cream/cheese cravings and had a number of guilty ice cream binges before I figured it out. For some reason, lack of fat always led me to dairy, and lack of protein to meat (although that was much easier to identify).
huah

Postby vcat79 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:29 pm

Thank you for the suggestions.
Victoria
vcat79

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:32 pm

OK two things to help :)

Firstly dont go down on yourself because it just ends up in a spiral of negativity. The fact of the matter is that you have decided to cut away from it but in a society not set up for non-dairy consumers you may indeed make mistakes at first. Dont worry about it just make a note and move on :D

Secondly I would say find a soya milk that you like, buy some swedish glace or toffutti ice cream or woteva vegan ice cream you have available and make sure you get plenty of healthy fats and plain old calories. If you are well-fed the your body wont crave anything and if you are well-stocked up any psychological cravings should be satisfied by vegan versions of the same things - soy chocolate milk, hot chocolate, ice cream sundaes, fake cheese on pizza etc etc etc.

Good luck :D
Fruitbat

Postby vcat79 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:17 pm

Thank you! I think everyone is on to something. I appreciate the support.
Victoria
vcat79

Postby XkillerX » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:24 pm

first of all: YOU DID IT!!! YOU ARE VEGAN!!!!!! :P :lol: :wink:

you should be the happiest person in the world about it - i know my heart starts dancing and singing every time i heard somebody made the transition and decides to stick with it!!!

as for food: make sure to get a LOT of different things!

veggies: there are way too many to count. try to get something different every day (even the ones you like). try to pick ones that arent loaded with chemistry.

fruit: fruit rocks! just pay more attention to veggies, since most fruit today is produced to be sweet not nutritional! grrrr :evil:

nuts: walnuts, chestnuts, indian nuts, brasil nuts, chickpeas, peanuts... experiment to find the ones your tummy is ok with

legumes: ohhhh so perrrdy! 8) (gotta love all of them)

"junkfood": if all else fails, keep fridge loaded with vegan "junkfood". at least things like that exist in america. hungry for milk go for soymilk (cinnamon soymilk mmmm). hungry for cheese head for tofu. hungry for icecream HEAD FOR THE BLENDER!

supplements: get Veg1 from vegansociety. or anything else you like from anywhere else (like always veganessentials.com is stock and loaded with every supplement you could ever imagine). watch out for b12, iodine, selenium, D (if you dont get out in the sunshine too much), iron, omega3... that's about it... shouldnt worry too much though. just eat a lot and keep
changing what you eat... never stick to same old-same old.

if your family doesnt support you, educate them about WHY VEGAN.

if your friends show no support, educate first, if they still bring you down get rid of them. plain and simple. they're not friends anyway.
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby vcat79 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:30 am

Thank you!!! Awesome suggestions. Your support is appreciated.
Victoria
vcat79

Postby xbojanx » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Forgive yourself for giving in, but never give up!

And be frequent on veganfitness, that also helps :)

Greetings and congratulations
Something more than ink.... On a page, on a shirt, on the back of my hand.
xbojanx

Postby Fruitbat » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:04 pm

xbojanx wrote:And be frequent on veganfitness, that also helps :)

thats a godo idea - get so into the threads and so busy posting you compeltely ignore cravings all together ..... :lol:

no seriously do use this board I found it hugely helpful when I was a newbie vegan just as the board started up.
Fruitbat

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:09 pm

When I first went vegan, I realized that I needed to increase the volume of food I ate to get the same ammount of calories.

Instead of eating the same volume of food as before, you might have to increase the size of your portions and eat an extra snack to make up for the loss of fat calories due to dairy.

I drizzle everything with olive or flax oil. That helps too.

You've done the hard part: making the switch. Now all you have to to id figure out how to make it work! Look at this as an opportunity to get to know yourself better.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby erske » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:52 pm

xrodolfox wrote:When I first went vegan, I realized that I needed to increase the volume of food I ate to get the same ammount of calories.

Yeah! :D increase your volumes! And enjoy it!!! :D The best part of beeing vegan is the abundance of great tasting food you get to eat! :D :D :D
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Return to New Vegan