Too fat to be a cyclist. Too skinny to be a weightlifter.

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Big Good Wolf » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:04 pm

Not much in the way of training recently. 10 and 14 hour shifts at work last week then helping to get a friends lorry ready for a steam rally at the weekend.
Odd bits of weightlifting, mountain biking and running over the last few days with a new PB on the skipping this morning, 1198 in 10 minutes.

The same food as usual, most of it has spent part of its life inside a tin or a microwave or both. :roll:
Apart from Saturday when one of the stalls at the steam rally was selling off fruit cheap before they went home and I ended up eating more cherries, peaches, raspberries and strawberries than you would think it was possible for one person to eat. :lol:
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:05 pm

Ummmm . . . cherries, peaches, and berries . . .

Good job on the rop skipping PB, that is a lot of jumping :shock:
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Big Good Wolf » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Still nothing regular or organised with the training, but I managed a new PB on the Farmers Hold.
38 seconds with 75kg in each hand.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Kryptonite V » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Congrats on the PB :D

Big Good Wolf wrote:Still nothing regular or organised with the training

BGW, you need some kind of plan. Otherwise you'll always become distracted and not work out consistently and efficiently.
buzz wrote:looks like BEACH SEASON IS UPON US!
Kryptonite V
Radioactive Member

Postby Big Good Wolf » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:40 pm

Yeah, I know. I keep putting off starting a training programme because I don't have a proper routine in the rest of my life to fit it around.
Most weekends I go straight to Moggy's after a Friday day shift and straight back to work for a Monday late shift so that's effectively four days I'm not at home with whatever equipment I've got here, although it does mean I've got the sleepers and rowing machine.
Other weekends I go to steam rallies which is usually straight from work on Friday again, but back home on Sunday night, so that's three days away from home with no training at all.
All the training routines I've seen are three days a week or one day on, one day off or something like that. I simply can't fit that in with my irregular lifestyle.
I think I'll just have to do a full body workout twice a week at home and fit in other stuff as and when I can.
As a first attempt at starting a routine, this morning before leaving the house at 9.30 am I did;

Skipping, 1105 in 10 minutes
Bench Press, 8+8+5x50kg
Dead Lift 3x7x110kg
Dumbbell Snatch, 3x10x16kg

After getting home at 11pm;

Push Press, 3x5x40kg
Upright Row, 3x10x30kg
Bent Over Row, 3x10x50kg
Squats, 3x10x25kg rucksack bearhug.

Todays food;
Three vegetable pasties
Belgian bun
Chips
Bananas
Brazil nuts
Moggy's excellent Sosmix Rolls.
Lots of orange squash.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby Big Good Wolf » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Well, I've come home before going to the steam rally this weekend which gives me a rare chance for a Friday training session.

Skipping, 827 in 10 minutes. Lots of tangles. I seem to find it a lot harder to pick my feet up after a days work.

Bench Press, 3x10x50kg
Dead Lift, 5x115kg, 2x5x110kg
Dumbbell Snatch, 3x10x18.5 each hand.
Push Press, 10+6+6x35kg
Squat 20x35kg
Cable Front Pull Down, palms up, 3x10x25kg
Cable Front Pull Down, palms down, 3x10x25kg

Redibrek with sultanas
About half a loaf of bread with Tartex or Marmite.
Bananas
Brazil nuts
Banana Nesquick
Lots of orange squash
Moggy's "What's that burning smell ?", "Oh shit ! The sausage rolls !", black on top, but otherwise excellent Sosmix rolls.

Oh, and I've found some railway sleepers for £12 just up the road so I'll probably buy a few next week.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby Joe C » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:17 am

Nice lifting there, BGW. :D And I'm intrigued by all the skipping. Is there a skip-off scheduled between you and Spug that I somehow missed? :razz:
Joe C

Postby Big Good Wolf » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:58 pm

I'm still waiting for Spug's numbers to go on the skipping challenge table.
In fact, I'm still waiting for anyone else to have a go. Now's the time to do it with a guaranteed place in the top three.

Tried some odd object lifting while at the steam rally on Sunday morning.
Push press, squat and dumbbell snatch with various bits of heavy recovery equipment plus a run round the field both mornings. No idea of the weights or distance, I just went for as many reps as I could.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby Big Good Wolf » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:12 am

I'm starting a new job on Monday. It's exactly 10km away by the shortest cycling route, along the river bank then mostly on cycle lanes or shared cycle/foot paths, or I can take a slightly longer route with only about 1.5km on the road by going further down the river and back along the nature reserve cycle path.
I'll be on permanent late shift five days a week and with no steam rallies until next May that gives me a regular five days at home, two days at Moggy's routine.
So, I've got the free time, I've got the weights, bench and rack, I've got the bike and the skipping rope, I've got all the support I could want on here, all I haven't got now is the excuses.

I've read so many suggestions for workouts on here and elsewhere that I am thoroughly confused as to what I should be doing so I'm starting with a three times a week full body programme which I will almost certainly alter as I go along.
Starting this morning I did;

5 minutes skipping
Squat 5x5x40kg
Deadlift 5x5x100kg
Bench press 5x5x45kg
Clean & press 5x5x25kg
Cable pull down25x20kg
Push press 5x5x20kg (Triceps bar)
Dumb bell snatch 5x5x15kg
1.7km cross country run

I'm keeping notes so I can alter the weights for my next workout. The cable pull downs were way too easy, that's why I carried on and did the full 25 in one go, whereas the deadlifts were pretty much on my limit.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby The Duke » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:11 am

Nice to see you training again GBW.

I suspect your weights will now increase dramatically.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Big Good Wolf » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 pm

I never really stopped training, I just never got in to a routine.
I called in at the new job today to ask about my starting time on Monday as I am doing the first week on days until I get the hang of the job.
Things aren't going quite to plan as it looks like I will be on alternate early and late shifts. I knew there was a chance of this as it depended on the existing staff swapping around and it hasn't happened.
This isn't too bad as, although I prefer lates, I have been thinking about taking up Judo or Jujitsu and the training sessions are always in the evening. If I'm going to be on alternating shifts long term, then now's my chance.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby XkillerX » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:36 pm

brasilian jujutsu man!!! you know you wanna do it!!! :D :twisted:
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby Big Good Wolf » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:00 pm

Saturday;
Concept 2 rower, 5000m in 20.47 PB

Sunday;
Concept 2 rower, 5000m in 20.58

Monday;
100+ press ups before work. (lost count)
Got home from work, lit the fire, fell asleep.

Tuesday (today)
50+ press ups before work (lost count again)

After work;
400 skips in 3.47
Deadlift 5x5x100kg
Bench press 5x5x47.5kg
Squat 5x5x45kg
Hang clean & push press 5x5x35
Cable pull down 5x5x40kg
Overhead press 5x5x25kg (Tricep bar)
Dumb bell snatch 5x5x18kg

The bottom bracket bearings on my mountain bike have been wobbling and grinding for a while. I took them out and took them to a bearing suppliers to get some replacements. No luck there, so I tried on the web.
It turns out Pace used some odd imperial bearings that no one keeps in stock or even lists in their catalogue. I destroyed one of them removing it so I can't even put the old ones back in. I've got to get in touch with Pace now to see if they can supply them.
I bought another bike on ebay, as I have been thinking of upgrading the whole thing anyway.
I won the auction on Friday, but the guy's away until Thursday, so I've got no bike for almost a week. :cry:
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby ^toby^ » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:09 am

hi GBF, just wonder what is the reason behind the change of set/rep for squat?

5x5x45kg and 20x35kg?
'Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect Practice makes perfect' - Vince Lombardi
^toby^

Postby Big Good Wolf » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:56 pm

Er, I can't remember. That was back in August.
Probably because I got to the end of the first set of five and realised I had gone a bit light, so instead of stopping I just carried on intending to do the whole 25 in one go without a rest, but then failed after only 20. Or something like that.

No press ups this morning. I haven't got in to the routine of working day shift yet and got up a bit late.

Swimming after work. The first time I have been for years. Spent about an hour in the pool swimming two lengths then waiting till I got my breath back before swimming another two and so on. So that's about 20 minutes of actual swimming and 40 minutes of standing at the end of the pool.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs