vegan contraception

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby FatPunkChris » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:11 pm

The Duke wrote:This was a dumb thread to read while eating my lunch. :shock:
virago wrote:Why?



Because he was eating fallopian tubes...
Back after 3 years of competitive eating.
User avatar
FatPunkChris
Active Member
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:13 am

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 pm

My wife also uses a copper IUD.
Vegan. It works (as good as tying tubes). It's reversible. No chemicals.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
User avatar
xrodolfox
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Postby virago » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:02 pm

Exactly. It's fab :)
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.


Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
User avatar
virago
Active Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Postby VEGANPOTTER » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:09 pm

Copper leaches and I don't think anyone should have copper in their bodies. Its a major problem even for potters...using excessive copper in a glaze is dangerous and even illegal in some cases. Also this is just for food and drink temporarily sitting in a copper vessel...no something that will be in you for years...I don't think these should be made with copper...they should be made with stainless steel or for forming properties silver(which would make the implant cost 4-5 times more but the actual implant should be a small percentage of the cost anyhow)
"Beets, it's what for dinner"
User avatar
VEGANPOTTER
Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:12 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Cookie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Virago, would you be up for doing an update in a few months? I'd like to know if it is that good over time. Bit cheeky but I'm hunting for something different to use at the moment :D
User avatar
Cookie
Active Member
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Caradon, Cornwall

Postby virago » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:57 am

Veganpotter the copper that the IUD releases into the body is less than you eat in an average diet, absolutely tiny amounts.

Cookie: of course! I'll keep this thread updated

Because he was eating fallopian tubes...


Oh good, because if anyone finds the details of contraception or the female anatomy disgusting they should HARDEN THE FUCK UP ;)
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.


Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
User avatar
virago
Active Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Postby The Duke » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:20 am

FatPunkChris wrote:
The Duke wrote:This was a dumb thread to read while eating my lunch. :shock:
virago wrote:Why?



Because he was eating fallopian tubes...


FatPunkChris

I thought I was weird but you make me seem normal!!!

I salute you sir.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
User avatar
The Duke
Active Member
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:05 pm

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:32 pm

VEGANPOTTER wrote:Copper leaches and I don't think anyone should have copper in their bodies. Its a major problem even for potters...using excessive copper in a glaze is dangerous and even illegal in some cases. Also this is just for food and drink temporarily sitting in a copper vessel...no something that will be in you for years...I don't think these should be made with copper...they should be made with stainless steel or for forming properties silver(which would make the implant cost 4-5 times more but the actual implant should be a small percentage of the cost anyhow)

The point of the copper IUDis that it leaches coppar ions which removes the ability to swim in sperms. You can also get IUDs with a hormone as the active substance (makes the mucus really thick).
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
User avatar
Enhydra Lutris
Active Member
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Wales (UK)

Postby line » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:08 pm

I'm having a major dilemma about what type of contaception to use after birth, and if to use contaception at all, as I'm having a hard time deciding that my son should not have a younger brother or sister. Sadly I will not be allowed to adopt for years and years and years, as I'm not married + I'll probably be studying till spring 2014..

I have been considering copper IUD and I'm pretty sure it's not for me. It just seems a bit "wrong" and I'm afraid it will cause me a lot of pain during periods. I used to have the worst, most horrible pains every God Damn(!) month.
I have a package of Yasmine pills which I never got to start taking, as the period I was waiting for in order to start taking them never came... :?
While breast feeding one can not use any hormones. It may seem safe to have sex as long as there are no periods, yet there is no garantie that the normal period cycle doesn't start at any point between three or thirteen months after birth.. I may therefore have to get a Lady Comp in case I cannot resist to have sex with "dad" again.

BUT: I don't really trust any type of contraception, as my best friend a few years ago got pregnant while on the p-shot, and I got pregnant using a "regret pill" (what are they called in english?) this winter. Both methods are claimed to be safe/effective, and the shot is supposed to be 99,9% safe. Naturally I'm having a really hard time beliving that!
Member of the PPAF
(Peace Preserving Aerobic Forces)


Image
User avatar
line
Active Member
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: No*way, no war

Postby base_trix » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:06 pm

I've been with my guy for over five years and we still use condoms. Everything else seems like a lot of fuss.

Incidentally, does anyone know if semen is a source of B12? I suspect I'm being duped. :)
User avatar
base_trix
Member
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Bristol

Postby Dave Noisy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:46 pm

base_trix wrote:I've been with my guy for over five years and we still use condoms. Everything else seems like a lot of fuss.

Incidentally, does anyone know if semen is a source of B12? I suspect I'm being duped. :)

hahaaha - it actually is, tho prolly not a great idea to rely on it..unless you're getting freaky with a lot of guys a lot of the time..hahaha
User avatar
Dave Noisy
Active Member
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:04 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Postby virago » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 pm

This is an update on my IUD.
All going fab so far - my cycle went straight back to normal after being on the Pill for 5 years, I am now in phase with the moon as I was before which is quite nice.
The cramps aren't bad, stronger than I'm used to but not awful. I don't take painkillers for them but the less stoical may prefer to. Regular exercise helps. No cravings, no mad increase in appetite, no bloating...quite hormonal and oddly a few spots (haven't had spots since I was going through puberty :shock: ) but I think that's post-Pill hormonal fluctuations.
My period is now 7 days instead of 5, with spotting to begin and end and one insanely heavy day. I'm glad I've got a mooncup it makes my period so much easier. On my non-heavy days I keep it in for 8-12 hours, it's like not having a period :)
So, so far (and I don't see this changing) I would really reccommend the copper IUD. No hormones, no lactose, no fuss.
Oh, and get a mooncup/divacup/your country's equivalent, they're FAB!
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.


Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
User avatar
virago
Active Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Postby moggy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 am

Even when celibate (no single vegan blokes in the area), I was on the pill for health reasons.For me to be healthy enough to hold down a job, I dont have any alternative.
moggy
Active Member
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Wales

Postby virago » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:05 am

moggy wrote:Even when celibate (no single vegan blokes in the area), I was on the pill for health reasons.For me to be healthy enough to hold down a job, I dont have any alternative.


I know another vegan in a similar position, she takes the Pill to control her hormones and have a normal life. I'm lucky in that my pre-Pill cycle was regular and untroublesome so I'm fine coming off it.
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.


Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
User avatar
virago
Active Member
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, UK

Postby moggy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:20 am

virago wrote:
moggy wrote:Even when celibate (no single vegan blokes in the area), I was on the pill for health reasons.For me to be healthy enough to hold down a job, I dont have any alternative.


I know another vegan in a similar position, she takes the Pill to control her hormones and have a normal life. I'm lucky in that my pre-Pill cycle was regular and untroublesome so I'm fine coming off it.


Yes, its shitty, but it is the only way to lead a normal life- my doctor used to joke that my PMS was so severe I could kill someone and not be held responsible. I also had horrendous problems with lack of coordination. My PMS could last for up to 5 or 6 weeks, ending only when I would 'flood' and beginning immediately again once I stopped flooding(usually after about 10 days). When I was getting too many days when my coordination meant I was not safe to drive, thats when the doctor put me on the pill. I used to hate the thought of being on the pill, but once I saw what a difference it made, I wish I'd done it years earlier. I've now been on it 15 years.
moggy
Active Member
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 0 guests