vegan contraception

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby cookey » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:12 pm

What an interesting discussion!
I used to use condoms when I was younger and it didn't occur to me to question if they were vegan or not. I came of age at the beginning of the the AIDS scare in the 80s and it seemed very important to protect yourself. I've got two children neither of whom were conceived on purpose but have changed me and made me grow in ways I could never imagine. I'm so glad I had them. I went to see about being sterilized while I was still pregnant with my second child, I hated being pregnant. I was 27 at the time and was sterilized after the birth when I was 28. The doctor did initially try to convince me to have depo injections or a coil with hormones, but they could see I was determined and agreed. I think the youngest you can be sterilized here in the U.K, on the NHS is 27. If you want a reversal later, you have to pay for it.
I've never regreted the decision, but I also don't regret having my children. Although I'm sure that adopting would also be special.
Although many of you here may not share the feeling, a lot of people do have the natural urge to have children and its obvious why that is.
Good luck to all you guys out there who are saying no to sex! After giving up drink, drugs, and having minimal sugar and chocolate, its one of the few (rare)pleasures that I have left!
As for persona, my second child was conceived within my first month of using it, so watch out!
cookey

Postby cookey » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:09 pm

It was free on the NHS. I was in and out within the day. The worst thing for me was having to not eat and then feeling sick afterwards! With me, they put in an air drain through my belly button which they hadn't told me they were going to do. So as I was coming round, I turned over in bed and heard this farting noise coming from my chest where they'd stuck the other bit! Pulling the air drain out was a bit of a horrible sensation. You probably need a day or two off afterwards to receover. I was in work the next day but did feel a bit odd. The worst thing for me was really the anaesthetic and feeling all woozy. I think they gave me too much! I have a very small scar at the bottom bit of my belly button and one just below my pubic hair line.
It's done with keyhole surgery and they only put clamps on the tubes.
Probably the best thing would be to talk to your G.P about it.
Obviously you need to be very sure it's what you want. I knew it was, because I really wanted to look after the children I already have.
I don't and didn't have a partner and one of the (female) doctors asked me what I'd do if I met the "choclate biscuit" of men! A good Question I thought! My last boyfreind really did want children and it was an issue with us. But I wouldn't have wanted more children whether I'd been sterilized or not, and the the fact that I was, just made it more clear.
cookey

Postby cookey » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:51 pm

I haven't found my periods more painful personally. But generally I think painful periods seem to improve if you have children. I read in a book about PMT that it can make that worse. I'm not sure on that either. I do get bad moods, but I'm not sure it's due to that and I couldn't that say it's any worse than before. But then I was pregnant twice in the 3 years leading up to it and before that I was living a bit of a crazy party life!
I feel really reasured knowing that I can't get pregnant, so if you're sure then go for it!
cookey

Postby janette » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:17 am

i use a copper IUD. i used to use a combo of free condoms and herbs (if there was an 'accident').
janette

Drugs Are Never Vegan in the US

Postby VEGANPOTTER » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:38 am

In the US it is required that all drug(not supplements) are to be tested on animals. So if it is made in the US and requires a prescription an LD 50(the amount of a drug neccessary for body weight to kill half the animals it is tested on) had to be done as well as many other cruel tests. This is also the case for drugs being imported from other countries. So hypothetically a country could have the cure for AIDS but if they wouldn't allow the US to sell it unless they wouldn't test...present FDA laws would not allow the use of that prescription drug. Terrible huh!!!
Beyond that even if there were a vegan form of contraception that allowed the raw technique I don't think it should be done. Its natural to menstruate and it shouldn't be prevented. We'll see the real side effects in 30yrs or so. I just don't think its worth the risk. Sure women hate their periods but is it worth the unknown side effects(or the known ones for that matter). Your hormones are at a certain level for a reason...women changing there hormones for contraception is really no differen't than men or women changing their hormones(in small increments) with weak steroids. They are both hormone changes for person gain are they not???

Is it really that bad to wear a rubber??? Especially since there are now 2 vegan companies that sell them. Support them and not a company that has to test or pay someone else to test for them. The thing that sucks is that you could come up with a disease ending drug but if you want people to have access to it the Govt. will mandate that it be tested on animals.
"Beets, it's what for dinner"
VEGANPOTTER

Postby virago » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:15 am

I'd just like to add my experience to this thread rather than starting a new one. After being on the Pill for 4.5 years I changed to a copper (non-hormonal) IUD.
I only had it fitted last week and due to not ovulating for the past 4.5 years my cycle will be screwy for a while but I feel great so far. It lasts 5 years and does not use lactose/hormones as the BC pill does. It is more effective than the Pill and condoms and once it's fitted you pretty much forget about it. You need to check the threads (they curl around your cervix) once a month to make sure it's still in place and obviously it doesn't prevent STDs so it's only for monogamous long-term partnerships but I would really reccommend it.

The fitting is uncomfortable, make sure you've had a good breakfast and take some painkillers beforehand, and they tend to want to fit it on your period as your cervix is a little more relaxed and that way there's no chance you're pregnant.

The doc inserts a speculum, cleans your cervix and rubs numbing gel on it. They then sound your womb using a metal rod. This measures the depth of your womb and lets them know how far to put the IUD in. This is unpleasant, it causes your cervix to twitch which made me feel a little woozy, hot and unwell and caused some cramping of the uterus. Once done the IUD is placed inside you - more uterine cramping - the speculum removed and the doc gives you a quick internal exam to check it's in place. If you've never had one this involves two fingers inserted up into the uterus as they push down on your belly. It's painless and over fast.
I then laid on the bed for a while to recover, the cervix activity can cause fluctuations in blood sugar (hence my porridge breakfast) and slowly got up. I bled slightly more than usual and had some cramping but none so bad I had to take painkillers (but I am pretty stoical about pain)

I've checked my strings twice since having it fitted (it's best done sitting or crouching) and they've curled neatly around my uterus, which feels a bit like the tip of your nose. The copper IUD can cause longer, heavier, more painful periods but often your cycle regulates after 3-6 months. I haven't experienced this yet - as I said I'm still recovering from BC pills so I may not ovulate for ages - but I've had no spotting or cramps since finishing my period.

If anyone has any questions post/PM me, I am a big fan of this method of birth control :)
My vegan Etsy shop

[quote="Vegiburger"]The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

[quote="Clem Snide"]If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Postby The Duke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:39 am

This was a dumb thread to read while eating my lunch. :shock:
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby virago » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:05 pm

Why?
My vegan Etsy shop

[quote="Vegiburger"]The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

[quote="Clem Snide"]If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Postby FatPunkChris » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:11 pm

[quote="The Duke"]This was a dumb thread to read while eating my lunch. :shock:
[quote="virago"]Why?

Because he was eating fallopian tubes...
Back after 3 years of competitive eating.
FatPunkChris

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 pm

My wife also uses a copper IUD.
Vegan. It works (as good as tying tubes). It's reversible. No chemicals.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby virago » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:02 pm

Exactly. It's fab :)
My vegan Etsy shop

virago

Postby VEGANPOTTER » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:09 pm

Copper leaches and I don't think anyone should have copper in their bodies. Its a major problem even for potters...using excessive copper in a glaze is dangerous and even illegal in some cases. Also this is just for food and drink temporarily sitting in a copper vessel...no something that will be in you for years...I don't think these should be made with copper...they should be made with stainless steel or for forming properties silver(which would make the implant cost 4-5 times more but the actual implant should be a small percentage of the cost anyhow)
"Beets, it's what for dinner"
VEGANPOTTER

Postby Cookie » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Virago, would you be up for doing an update in a few months? I'd like to know if it is that good over time. Bit cheeky but I'm hunting for something different to use at the moment :D
Cookie

Postby virago » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:57 am

Veganpotter the copper that the IUD releases into the body is less than you eat in an average diet, absolutely tiny amounts.

Cookie: of course! I'll keep this thread updated

[quote]Because he was eating fallopian tubes...

Oh good, because if anyone finds the details of contraception or the female anatomy disgusting they should HARDEN THE FUCK UP ;)
My vegan Etsy shop

virago

Postby The Duke » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:20 am

[quote="FatPunkChris"][quote="The Duke"]This was a dumb thread to read while eating my lunch. :shock:
[quote="virago"]Why?

Because he was eating fallopian tubes...

FatPunkChris

I thought I was weird but you make me seem normal!!!

I salute you sir.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements