considering trying raw

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

considering trying raw

Postby mollygidget » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:26 pm

i've been realizing my diet has just gotten crappier and crappier lately. as in, heavy on the vegan junk food, thai takeout, and my major vice, soda. so i think i'm going to try being raw (with a couple of minor exceptions like taking my dad out for fathers day dinner and my birthday) for at least a few weeks.

it's going to be a really really hard transition, so any encouragement/advice you guys can give me would be awesome.

especially looking for advice on:
1. i'm always tired. how am i supposed to get energy in the AM?
2. my stomach feel kinda weird if i don't have any carbs in it- what do i do about that?
3. how long is it going to take for me to start feeling good about eating all raw stuff?
4. what's a good dressing for salad that's raw?

wish me luck!
"molly, get your leggings"
mollygidget

Re: considering trying raw

Postby soniczip » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:05 pm

mollygidget wrote:i've been realizing my diet has just gotten crappier and crappier lately. as in, heavy on the vegan junk food, thai takeout, and my major vice, soda. so i think i'm going to try being raw (with a couple of minor exceptions like taking my dad out for fathers day dinner and my birthday) for at least a few weeks.

it's going to be a really really hard transition, so any encouragement/advice you guys can give me would be awesome.

especially looking for advice on:
1. i'm always tired. how am i supposed to get energy in the AM?
2. my stomach feel kinda weird if i don't have any carbs in it- what do i do about that?
3. how long is it going to take for me to start feeling good about eating all raw stuff?
4. what's a good dressing for salad that's raw?

wish me luck!

well, good luck mollygidget :D but look, you don't need to go raw to give your diet a better direction. there's also the alternative of a balanced vegan diet, including raw food of course :wink:

to partially answer your questions for example:

1. how many calories are you eating for feeling so tired. my breakfasts consists of about 850kcal and i don't feel tired at all:
my breakfast today:
(1) 250ml tropical juice
(2) 3 slices of medium tuscan bread with fig jam jam
(3) 250ml soya milk
(4) 1 kiwi + 1 pear + 1 banana

2. as long as you don't consider junk food pasta, rice, and other grains, why limit yourself to only raw food?
my lunch today:
(1) 125gr eliche with sauce (chopped tomatoes + courgettes + fennels + onion + garlic + extra virgin olive oil + salt + pepper)
(2) 2 peaches + 1 apple + 1 banana

3. if you really want to go raw and raw only, i'm not the right person to give you an exact answer. but i'd say, do it gradually not to abruptly upset your digest system.

4. i can't answer here: i use my delicious extra virgin olive oil
my dinner yesterday:
(1) salad with lettuce + 2 tomatoes + 1/3 of a cucumber + 62.5gr tofu + some onion + extra virgin olive oil + vinegar + salt + pepper
(2) 3 slices of medium tuscan bread
(3) 1 orange + 1 apple + 1 handful of cherries + 1 banana

plus: a lot of water instead of sodas :!: :!: :!:

i hope i could give you another perspective :wink: good luck anyway, no matter what your choice will be :D
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby mollygidget » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:17 pm

thanks!

i know raw just to avoid junk seems a bit extreme. i'm looking at it as a sort of detox kind of thing- raw for a couple of weeks and get in the habit of being much healthier. i'm one of the people that can't switch to health-ier eating, i think i need to do it to an extreme to have it work. otherwise, by tomorrow night, i'll be right back to eating a pint of soy delicious ice cream. and that's no exageration.

and besides, at least raw bans soda from my diet, so i can get that out of my system for a bit.

hopefully, i'll like it enough that i'll stick to it for the most part, but never 100%- there's not really any places for raw foodists to eat around me, and i don't want to deprive myself of really awesome vegan treats every so often.
besides, it's summer, and eating light (like all veggies and fruit) in the summer seems right somehow.

but for right now, it's about getting through the next 2 weeks, and seeing where to go from there.
"molly, get your leggings"
mollygidget

Postby Veganitaliana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:25 pm

Check out Dr Doug Graham's 80/10/10 diet. You need lots of carbohydrates (80%), protein(10%) and fat (10%). Here's a few of his salad dressing recipes:

- 8 oz of blackberries with 2 tbsp of raw, mechanically hulled tahini blended together.

- 8 oz mango with 8 oz raspberries blended together.

- 4 oz. celery with 1 lb. apricots blended together.

- 12 oz. tomatoes, 6 oz. California avocado, .25 cup cilantro blended together.

-4 oz. of cucumbers blended with 1 oz. of pistachios.

-4 oz. fresh-squeezed orange juice with 1 oz. pecans blended.

Enjoy!
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Gandhi

Faisons de la Terre un immense jardin, et non un abattoir...
Let's make the Earth a huge garden instead of a slaughterhouse... Stéphane Groleau www.veganquebec.net

Since raw is good enough for every other animal on the planet, it is good enough for me. I'd much rather be like any one of them than most humans anyway.
Veganitaliana

Postby Montana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:42 pm

mollygidget wrote:i'll like it enough that i'll stick to it for the most part, but never 100%- there's not really any places for raw foodists to eat around me, and i don't want to deprive myself of really awesome vegan treats every so often.

Never say never :)
I'm trying high raw right now, my goal isn't 100% but who knows.
I know how you feel about places to eat, there isn't even a vegan place for me, let alone a raw place.
All of the vegan treats that I've made are raw. Except for the nuts.

Veganitaliana, thanks for the dressing recipes.
Montana

Postby billyoffspring » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:49 pm

How veg-friendly is Billings? I'll be passing through there next week.
I refuse to turn my back on these words I've etched into my soul; this oath I take to protect all life and never cheapen my own.
billyoffspring

Postby Montana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:21 pm

billyoffspring wrote:How veg-friendly is Billings? I'll be passing through there next week.

Hi Billy
Billings is not very veg-friendly at all
Veggies are the small bowl of rabbit food eaten just before the big steak.
Montana

Postby billyoffspring » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:05 pm

I guess I'll stock up in Missoula then. :)
I refuse to turn my back on these words I've etched into my soul; this oath I take to protect all life and never cheapen my own.
billyoffspring

Postby Montana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 pm

billyoffspring wrote:I guess I'll stock up in Missoula then. :)

Oh, I thought you were wondering about restaurants.
We do have a couple stores that I shop at.
Good Earth Market and Montana Harvest.
The Good Earth Market has the best selection, and many things are labeled vegan on the shelf tag.

Missoula or Bozeman might be good places to stop along the way also.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Molly. Please forgive us.
Montana

Return to New Vegan