New and need guidance.

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

New and need guidance.

Postby dmd » Mon May 21, 2007 2:54 pm

Hi there,
I must make a change in my diet. I am overweight and have a very slow moving GI tract. I know from past experience that when I eat a whole foods diet consisting mostly veggies, fruits, grains, beans and nuts/seeds that I have lost weight and my GI runs...well, more smoothly. I also feel so much better. I love to run, lift weights and kickbox. I am drawn to this website because I need to understand how athletes get all the nutrition they need from a vegan diet.

I have purchased a book entitled EAT TO LIVE by Joel Fuhrman. In it he discusses a 6 week plan for weight loss that I hope would introduce me to a completely vegan diet and help me lose a quick and dirty 10-15 lbs. Does anyone here know of this book and it's author? Are his practices sound?

Thanks in advance~dmd :D
dmd

Postby gms » Mon May 21, 2007 6:40 pm

I have heard his book is good but sorry I have not read it. But I say that another web site for changing your diet it
www.drmcdougall.com
He has many cookbooks and even has a clinic is California.
Good luck
gms

Postby dmd » Mon May 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks allot! I have heard of the McDougall program....I had forgotten about him. I am going to try and borrow his book from the library. I wonder if he is vegan or vegetarian? Thanks again,dmd
dmd

Postby gms » Mon May 21, 2007 10:28 pm

You can get a ton of info from his web site. He is vegan (except he has a few receipes with honey.) If you are trying to lose weight his program is very strict with nuts, bread, and fats. Here is a link to a sample program from his site
http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
gms

Postby jemmyducks » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Sorry DMD, I didn't see this until now.

"Eat to Live" is, in my opinion, one of the best nutrition books currently available. I approximate the Eat-to-Live plan, which is essentially a guarantee for maximizing disease-prevention and weight-loss from the food angle. The other primary angle is of course exercise, which is why this is such a great website/community.

If you haven't already, I would definitely try his 6-week plan.

As far as exercise and getting enough nutrients goes... this is usually a question of eating enough food. Whole plant foods are as nutritious as eating gets; when you exercise more (especially if you want to increase muscle mass), you simply need to eat more whole plant foods at the same time. But if weight loss is your first goal (which is the way to go for reducing risk factors for certain diseases), then you would still want to keep your calorie intake moderate.

In my experience, it's very easy to get all the nutrition I need from a vegan diet. And by focusing on whole plant foods, I get to eat about twice what my friends eat! :)
Personal Trainer and Nutrition Coach
San Francisco, CA

Check out my Training Log:
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20845&p=341210#p341210

If at first you fail, train, train again.
jemmyducks

Thank you for you reply!

Postby dmd » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:51 pm

Wow, it took some time to get anyone on this site to respond to this thread. I think when a certain book is talked about on this site many feel that one might be going the way of the "wacky". I agree that ETL is a sound and wonderful book. Again thank you for your "nod". dmd
dmd

Postby inertia » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:07 am

Hey there. I'm a new member as of an hour ago, which is why I didn't reply to your question until now. But a great book you might look at is Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis. It has a whole section on vegan nutrition and athletic performance!
Please support the compassionate pirates. Support Sea Shepherd.
inertia

Postby soniczip » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:47 am

inertia wrote:Hey there. I'm a new member as of an hour ago, which is why I didn't reply to your question until now. But a great book you might look at is Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis. It has a whole section on vegan nutrition and athletic performance!

yeah :!: that book is one of my favourite as well 8)
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:58 pm

Third recommendation for Becoming Vegan- it is really good :D
Cookie

Postby strongerthansoy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:49 pm

i've heard that book is good too!
strongerthansoy

Return to New Vegan