aching muscles

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby josh » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:46 am

It's just a light soreness, I just figured it was kinda weird since it the secound day after instead of the day after
josh

Postby Malcolms Billy » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:28 am

Peak of DOMS usually is about 48 hours after exercise, that's why you might feel a bit stiff the next day and think that it isn't so bad. Wait till the next morning.... :twisted: Is normal though.

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby hoffmeister » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:33 pm

Thanks a lot for the info. Well I usually get doms in the shoulders, the back and the body. Almost never biceps (and rarely triceps) though I train these muscules hard. I train every second day unless the doms are really strong.
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby Concrete Pete » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:29 am

One thing I have discovered which helps me is Thai Oil. Rubbing Thai Oil into the sore spots really warms up your muscles and releaves the aches pretty well. You can buy it from most good Martial Arts shops or suppliers on the net. It's not that expensive especialy if you can get it straight from thailand where it is very cheap. Normaly it is used by Thai Boxers, they will apply it before or after fights to loosen their muscles up and it also helps with bruising.

Hope that helps
XThe rolling stone gathers no mossX
Concrete Pete

Postby Weakling_noMore » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:25 pm

[quote="blackdaisies"]I personally like the soreness. I feel like progress is being made. I usually split my workouts though so even if my say my upper half feels sore, I could still work out my lower half.

I've been pushing myself with the weights more, so the stiffness is part of my life. I didn't know that it could be unhealthy though (except maybe last week when I couldn't move!)

:D I used to get DOMS all the time. Now they have stopped. However, when I go for rock-climbing, my arms still ache, on the route to the pinnacle of the mountain. So I have a rule. No exercise for three days prior to a climb.

Cheers,
Weakling_NoMore :lol: 8) 8)
Weakling_noMore

Postby Concrete Pete » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:07 pm

Also something else to remember is that doing different kinds of exercise will exercise different parts of your muscles. This can sometimes be a good reason as to why you get achey at times if you are training a little different to normal.
XThe rolling stone gathers no mossX
Concrete Pete

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:09 pm

pulling up an old topic here...

I have recently added a bit of weight training to my weekly routine...but even before that I am almost always sore. If I wait for the soreness to go away, I'd only work out about once per week! It really is frustrating because I always feel so fatigued. I do everything to attempt to prevent DOMS - stretching when warmed up, lots of water, hot baths, heating pads/ice packs, rubs/ointments...but it just doesn't help enough. I see a chiropractor about twice per month to help maintain my alignment since I was in a car wreck. That helps too, but it just doesn't "stick".

I am seriously so sore from my Sunday pole class that I didn't work out last night, nor do I think I'll be able to tonight :(

I certainly don't want to injure myself since I've had so many injuries (not related to working out) in the recent past. I guess I'm just concerned. Any input would be appreciated.
Rhiannon

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:15 pm

Are your aches muscle related, or connected to the car crash? That would affect how you train. I find that my muscles ache more around my period. Also, the more you train with weights (providing you are sensible and go up slowly) the less you will ache. Your body gets used to breaking down and building up muscles.

You don't just need protien to build muscles, you need the right balance of omega oils. Are you getting flax, pumpkin, etc, in your diet? And are you drinking enough water?
Mary

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:27 pm

The majority of my aches are muscle related...I'm pretty aware of the injury that I had from the accident and that is getting better and better. Working my back muscles actually really helps it. My soreness is more in my glutes, abs, legs and biceps.

I've started out with very light weight...I really like to be as nice to my body as possible :)

I do get my flax - I toss it on my cereal in the morning - and I drink tons of water.

ugh...I'm hoping it will just eventually pass and/or get better or easier to deal with. I do see I'm not really alone here, as far as DOMS is concerned...but man it can almost be defeating.
Rhiannon

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:47 pm

It will get better. In fact, I like my DOMS at the moment, as they tell me my body is working. But DOMS from heavy squats is a shock to begin with. First time I had them, it was painful to sit on the loo! Good news is that it doesn't happen that bad anymore.
Mary

Postby funfetus » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:29 pm

[quote="Mary"]It will get better. In fact, I like my DOMS at the moment, as they tell me my body is working. But DOMS from heavy squats is a shock to begin with. First time I had them, it was painful to sit on the loo! Good news is that it doesn't happen that bad anymore.

My experience as well. If you really wanna make sure you can't sit on the "loo" for a week, try a couple heavy sets of stiff-leg deadlifts when you've never done a single one before.

But yeah, after the initial oh-my-god-I'm-gonna-die period, the body seems to adjust pretty quickly. I only ever get really serious DOMS the first time I try a new exercise.
funfetus

Postby sensless » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:33 pm

I tend to crush myself at squatting and stay pretty sore for 4 or 5 days. The first month back doing squats I am a cripple for almost a week afterwards, but now the 4-5 days are just enough to make me stiff and need to stretch. I find that if I try to walk or jog after I'm done with my squat/leg routine that, even though it seems near impossible, it allows my recovery time and DOM to be reduced greatly.

John jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:18 am

That's interesting John. Cause when I did squats I was expecting them to kill me the next day, and they weren't as bad as I expected, despite me doing karate the same day. So maybe it was because of the karate...
Mary

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:10 am

Does sound like (DOMS) you can limit the pain my accelerating the repair with glutamine. DOMS is the micro-tears in the myofibril (actual fibres of muscle) n these bad boys are made of 2 proteins (Myosin and Actin) these are elementally Glutamine based. One way to tell if it is DOMS or bad form is where the pain is. Muscle has a point of origin and insertion point. For example, your bicep origin point is just below the shoulder. If it hurts here after your arms day it is a signature to bad form. The insertion point is at the elbow of your forearm - if it hurts here - ya doing somthin right!!!

However never train with DOMS if your goal is size as muscle only grows when repairing - you must let it repair first. If you hurt a lot and stop growing - you are over training!!

What system are you using for your training dude? :lol:
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:56 am

Isn't glucosamine made out of shell fish? Or am I thinking of something else?
Mary

PreviousNext

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights