Going vegan while dating an omnivore?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby sarah1 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:37 pm

If you have been with someone who is omni and then changed to veg*n I think its different from being a veg*n who goes out with a omni. At this stage, probably due to the AR side of me, I could never go out with a meat eater although most of my non-AR friends eat meat but they know not to go anywhere near McDs or BK with me. If your partner is open minded, thats great and I hope it suits you but the idea of dating someone who would eat animals is abit hard, I find friendship with meat eaters isnt to bad as many are ok about it and some are openly inqusitive, although the best bit about living with a omni is when they find veganism/soya/miso etc so 'weird' but within 6 months or so they are nicking all your supply.
sarah1

Postby estaphuam » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:21 am

It all depends on "how" vegan you are. I've always been in it for the animals, and I'm the kind who won't sit at a table if there's anything remotely dead on it.

But if vegans start rejecting omnivores, that steps on the whole higher life philosophy.
"And now beside thee, bleating lamb,
I can lie down and sleep;
Or think on Him who bore thy name,
Graze after thee and weep."
estaphuam

Postby sarah1 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:38 pm

It all depends on "how" vegan you are. I've always been in it for the animals, and I'm the kind who won't sit at a table if there's anything remotely dead on it.

Isnt that a strong negative reaction towards meat eaters? I get the little person inside of me rising up everytime someone says how cute a lamb is then orders a lamb curry.

But if vegans start rejecting omnivores, that steps on the whole higher life philosophy.

I dont reject them, or say to do this, I just think a partner should share similar interests to you and since veganism is a strong interest of mine it fits, same with alot of new mates I have being veggie/vegan, as you progress people you associate with do as well.
sarah1

Postby estaphuam » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:13 pm

I wasn't personally demurring what you were saying :) In actuality, I agree with everything you say.

For me, since I am not in a relationship, and was not in one when I became vegan, I would never consider an omnivore for a partner, nor am I too big on socializing around omnivores because it simply becomes impossible.

My concern about vegans rejecting omnivores stems from my behaviour as well. I found that even unconsciously I tend to shy away from a person eating meat. Is it fair? no. But is it natural? Most definitely.
estaphuam

Postby AbFab » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:06 pm

line wrote:Problem is that a lot of scientists claim (organic) meat, eggs and fish/seafood are primary ingredients in a healthy diet. Afterall, vegans have to take some supplements..
Not at all eating animals or their byproducts is more of a ethical and enviromental matter as long as there is "healthy organic free range meat" available on the market. The only experts claiming this is unhealthy for you to eat are the ones who have moral and/or envioromental issues about it. ..and I believe they all (both the pro's and the anti's) twist their facts to fit eigther their moral standards or whoever employed them.
Er, I don't take any supplements. I have soya milk, sure, that's been fortified veganly with B12, so if you count that, ok, but I don't take anything.
AbFab

Postby AbFab » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:09 pm

estaphuam wrote:I wasn't personally demurring what you were saying :) In actuality, I agree with everything you say.

For me, since I am not in a relationship, and was not in one when I became vegan, I would never consider an omnivore for a partner, nor am I too big on socializing around omnivores because it simply becomes impossible.

My concern about vegans rejecting omnivores stems from my behaviour as well. I found that even unconsciously I tend to shy away from a person eating meat. Is it fair? no. But is it natural? Most definitely.
Agree! I've been asked out in the supermarket a few times, I take one look in their basket, see the meat, and I'm like 'er, no', even before I've bothered to really check out the rest of him!
AbFab

Postby sarah1 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:08 pm

I've been asked out in the supermarket a few times

Oh, how I wish :oops:

see the meat, and I'm like 'er, no'

Just say you dont date omni's.
sarah1

Postby vegandragon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:02 pm

When my husband and I were first married we were both omnis. Then we went veg back in the 80's - with little to no support or information available - and didn't stick with it. Then a few years ago, I went ovo-lacto, and while he remained omni, he eats veg at home. I recently went vegan, which has thrown him a bit, but he's been pretty cooperative. Bottom line is - we love each other deeply, have been together a long time (about 20 years) and we've been through some pretty rough sh*t together - this isn't something that would get between us (or that we would allow to get between us). But if I was just starting out in a relationship with someone, I think I would be inclined to find someone who shared my views on food, but more importantly, I would look for someone who respected my views, whether they agreed with his or not. Of course, I would still try constantly try to get him to see my point of view... :)
VeganDragon
vegandragon

Postby LuxuryGreen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:51 am

I used to think that while being veg*n was a very desirable trait, I would not use it as a standard to date someone. That was before I made out with someone who had just eaten a McDonald's hamburger! I can still taste it *shudders*. I hadn't tasted meat since I was 7 years old until that night!

Now, I know I can only date veg*ns (hopefully vegan!). Unless I want to seem crazy by making him brush his teeth every time he eats...
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
LuxuryGreen

Postby sarah1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:01 pm

someone who had just eaten a McDonald's hamburger

I hope they got the treatment they needed.
sarah1

Postby estaphuam » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

LuxuryGreen wrote:That was before I made out with someone who had just eaten a McDonald's hamburger!

Priceless :D
estaphuam

Postby LuxuryGreen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:33 am

sarah1 wrote:
someone who had just eaten a McDonald's hamburger

I hope they got the treatment they needed.

Unfortunatly, I was too damn polite to puke in his mouth!
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
LuxuryGreen

Postby Muay Jin » Wed May 02, 2007 10:31 pm

You should of asked him what died in his mouth! haha
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Previous

Return to New Vegan