First time Marathoner

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

First time Marathoner

Postby jillbren » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:19 pm

Hey, I have just started training for the LA (Los Angeles, Calif, USA) Marathon in March. I am training with a group called L.A. Leggers..

Currently, I run about 25 miles per week.

What nutrition tips can anyone give me to help me with my training so I do not burn out on the long runs. I have along time until the Marathon - the group increased milage by one mile every week.

Anyone here live in LA and doing the marathon?

Also, any marathon tips of any kind are appreciated.

Thanks, Jill
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
jillbren

Postby fredrikw » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:11 pm

Carbs, lots of them, preferably slow (low GI). Apart from this, eat a balanced diet. Don't forget to get sodium (salt), when doing real endurance workouts, especially when it's warm, you lose a lot of salt when sweating.

Remember also that you need to add fuel to your body if going on for more than one-two hours, that's about how long the stored glycogen in your body lasts. Focus on high GI-carbs, low GI takes too long to digest and can cause stomach problems. Also take some fast carbs directly after workout.

Good luck with your marathon!
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:14 pm

jillbren, I left you a post in your other marathon post. Did you see it?
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby jillbren » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:40 pm

Strix,

I did see it before, thanks. I guess I have decided to do it !!!!
-Jill
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
jillbren

marathon tips

Postby trivegan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:15 pm

definitely go with low GI foods, avoid simple sugars. I generally find solids hard to take on long runs but I use gels a lot -e.g. Clif shot, Gu or Hammer Gel- Hammer Gel is best I think. You might be able to use energy bars though...

Here is a site with nutrition and fueling recommendations for endurance athletes (good advice with a grain of salt, they are pushing their products after all) http://www.e-caps.com (click on knowledge and then Supplements and Fueling Guide).

Since you have a lot of time definitely experiment with calorie intake on training runs to see what might work best for you on race day. For long events I like to take in something every 45-60 minutes, drink plenty of water and alternate water intake with electrolyte replacement drinks which are usually available at water stops (you could also use a handheld bottle or a fuel belt)

consider a long distance event a journey and be prepared to adjust your pace in response to how you feel.

with the long runs....if you are tired at 15 miles in a marathon you are unlikely to finish very well if at all so go easy on yourself and enjoy the journey the first 15-18 miles. The last 10 or so will test your mental strength, you have to get used to running through fatigue and imagine yourself succeeding.

run your first marathon to finish. no unreal expectations no harsh judgements

Good Luck!
trivegan

Return to Vegan Runners