Roller Racing

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Roller Racing

Postby Man On Bike. » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:57 pm

anyone here done roller racing before?

I took part last night, it was awesome

but now i can't walk properly....

i need some new legs
Man On Bike.

Postby bob_summers » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

never tried it no. how does it work? is it wheel speed, cadence, or what?
i assume everyone rides the same bike, otherwise you could just turn up with a massive gear and blitz everyone, right?
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Man On Bike. » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:13 am

Identical bikes, identical gears, singlespeed freewheel, first one to 500m wins
Man On Bike.

Postby the crazyest vegan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 pm

sounds good =P might have to look up some of that down hear, i have a decent burst that i could put to good use in that.
the crazyest vegan

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:14 am

Hmm..i don't think the bikes are as important as synced rollers..? Or you all use the same pair, and do it ITT?

Rollers sprints sound like a good way to kill yourself tho! What sort of times were you posting?

I think i do a 500m in under 39 seconds on the track..tho of course i think it'd go a lot faster on rollers. ;)
Dave Noisy

Postby Man On Bike. » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:58 pm

Dave Noisy wrote:Hmm..i don't think the bikes are as important as synced rollers..? Or you all use the same pair, and do it ITT?

Rollers sprints sound like a good way to kill yourself tho! What sort of times were you posting?

I think i do a 500m in under 39 seconds on the track..tho of course i think it'd go a lot faster on rollers. ;)
Well I did 500m in about 27 seconds during qualifying. No air resistance, and less friction due to only one tyre being in contact with something.

I don't know what ITT means but yes we do use the same pair of bikes

The bikes are important! They don't have to be the same but (IMO) they should have the same tyre pressure and (probably) the same gear

Man On Bike.

Postby Man On Bike. » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:59 pm

On a track race obviously you'd choose what gear suits you... but it would be a bit unfair to have different gears on a roller race, because people would faff about changing them or moaning that theirs is too low/high
Man On Bike.

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 am

Oh - that's interesting... You're held up on the rollers - that's no fun!

You're definitely not covering 500m in that time tho..hehe.. The world record would likely be above 27 seconds..haha..
Dave Noisy

Postby Man On Bike. » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Dave Noisy wrote:Oh - that's interesting... You're held up on the rollers - that's no fun!
it is fun!

and

“Roller races were fantastic nights of dancing and entertainment but faded in the late 1950s, overtaken by television and ‘nights in’. Somehow, the London Messengers have now stumbled across the recipe and it works.” - Rapha

Roller racing should make a comeback. It would hugely benefit the NHS by helping to reduce the ‘obesity epidemic’ and reducing alcohol-and-violence-related hospital admissions. People having fun and burning off the calories on a Saturday night instead of getting angry and fighting eachother or getting alcohol poisoning...
Man On Bike.

Postby vegcrow » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:58 pm

This reminds me of UCLA's initiation ritual for new riders. They set up a bunch of rollers and get the new riders spinning, then each rider has to take a shot every thirty minutes, while pedaling, until they fall... last one upright 'wins'... :roll: :twisted:
vegcrow

Postby bob_summers » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:02 pm

ddalavi wrote:This reminds me of UCLA's initiation ritual for new riders. They set up a bunch of rollers and get the new riders spinning, then each rider has to take a shot every thirty minutes, while pedaling, until they fall... last one upright 'wins'... :roll: :twisted:

dunno about you lot, but i need a shot of something strong before i can balance on rollers...
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby the crazyest vegan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:46 pm

ONE shot every 30 mins?? is that a typo?? make it interesting please, how about a shot every 10 mins right before a bunch sprint?? i like my rules =P
the crazyest vegan

Postby vegcrow » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

the crazyest vegan wrote:ONE shot every 30 mins?? is that a typo?? make it interesting please, how about a shot every 10 mins right before a bunch sprint?? i like my rules =P

30 min. is what I heard. I guess it's because they're freshmen, perhaps?
vegcrow

Postby the crazyest vegan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:29 am

maybe, but they must be n00bs =P
the crazyest vegan

Postby Man On Bike. » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:44 am

I'm desperate to do some more roller racing, despite the suffering I endured last time
Man On Bike.

Next

Return to Cycling Forum