New member here from Colorado...

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

New member here from Colorado...

Postby scout » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:07 pm

Hi all...found this site today and looking forward to being an active participant. I'm a 35 year old female living in beautiful Colorado with my two beloved dogs...I've been mostly vegan for a few years now, and just started working out seriously three weeks ago. I'm basically focused on building my muscles as opposed to losing weight, although I could probably stand to lose about five to ten pounds. I'm 5"5 and weigh 135, so not sure if I actually need to lose the weight.

Anyway, I've been working out five days a week, starting with 20 minutes cardio, then about 30 minutes on the various machines, then 30 minutes swimming laps. The weight I'm lifting is pretty light right now, and I hope to gradually increase this. But I don't want to rush it and get burned out.

I'm also hoping to take up tennis again on a regular basis, so if there are any tennis players in Denver on this forum, let me know! :)

Look forward to getting to know everyone!

- Scout
scout

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:36 pm

Sounds like a good workout! Hi, scout, and welcome!

Doesn't sound like you need to lose weight to me. But sometimes, just the exercise will make you lose; other times, you'll gain muscle and look a lot thinner even if you gain or stay the same weight! That's always a nice one :D
Nice to meet you :)
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Kristi » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:05 am

Hi Scout & welcome! Whereabouts in Colorado do you live? It's a beautiful state. I've been to Denver & the surrounding area (Castle Rock, Littleton, Parker, etc.,.) It really is quite gorgeous.

Anyway, it's great to have you here!

-Kristi :D
"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened. " - unknown
Kristi

Postby scout » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:03 pm

Thanks Strix & Kristi for the warm welcome! I live in Denver - so I have a nice mix of the city, and the mountains less than thirty minutes away.

Strix, yes I am not too concerned about weight loss. I actually like a rather curvier, sturdy look. I'm also thinking about taking some kind of martial arts classes, as well. Basically, I'm really ready to see how far I can take my body strength-wise. Right at the starting line, though, so have a looooong way to go.

It's so nice that there is a forum for fitness-minded vegans. I get a little tired of everyone at the gym looking amazed when I tell them I'm vegan & getting the inevitable "where do you get your protein" question...but I'm not really complaining, because actually everyone at the gym has been so helpful with tips on exercises, the various machines, etc. So I encourage anyone who has not joined a gym/rec center to do so...people really are nice for the most part, and especially encouraging to the newbies (like me).

Speaking of which, it's time for me to hit the gym right now...actually, I should clarify that I use the weight-rooms in our city's rec centers. It's so much less expensive than a private gym, only a $100 a year, and you can use any rec center in the city. They all have pools and fitness centers. You can't beat a deal like that!
scout

Postby Rochellita » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:03 pm

welcome scout. I love Colorado, totally fell in love with it last time I visited.

I remember eating in a really great restaurant in Denver as well- Waterhouse or something like that, do you know it?
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby scout » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:06 pm

Hi Rochelle! Oh yes, the Watercourse is pretty much the restaurant of choice for Denver veggies. I eat there all the time! They have a great brunch menu, too, and even serve Bloody Mary's & Mimosa's at brunch...the ambience is nothing special, but the food is really something else. I also eat at Govinda's buffet, which is located at the local Hari Krishna house. Decent food, and all you can eat for about seven or eight bucks.

There's also a wonderful restaurant in Boulder called the Sunflower that has lots of gourmet vegetarian/vegan choices. I find that all the restaurants these days have at least a few veggie options. I also heard that P.F. Chang's will replace any meat in their dishes with tofu upon request.
scout

Postby Kristi » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:41 am

I'm pretty sure I ate at P.F. Chang's when I was in Colorado. Pretty massive place, that restaurant!
"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened. " - unknown
Kristi

Postby scout » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:26 pm

Yeah, it's a chain restaurant...but surprisingly good.
So many gods, so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and wind,
While just the art of being kind
Is all this sad world needs.

- Ella Wheeler Wilcox
scout

Postby Malcolms Billy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:30 pm

Hiya scout!

Nice one for joining! I've never been to Colorado, but I've seen pictures and heard that it's pretty amazing. Maybe, one day....

My dedication to weightlifting has taken a bit of a plunge, I have to admit. Usually happens over summer, when the weather is nice I much prefer to be out and about with my totally beloved, spoilt, so very handsome, sweet boy Malcolm, who is my avatar on the left. We've just spent the weekend doing big walks in Wales, which has totally knackered him out (not to mention myself, yapping away on the net seems to be the only thing I'm capable of right now :? ). Might make it to the gym tomorrow - but then, I might not!
So (at the risk of getting told off for turning this board into a 'dog lovers board' ;)). please tell us all about your beloved canines too! :)

See ya,
Malcolms Billy
Malcolms Billy

Return to New member introductions