My soon to be home gym

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby hardcore iv » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:04 am

Thanks for the comments guys, and the branching off into disco/dishwashing discussion :)

Buying items separately is probably a wiser, though less convenient, option.

I've just placed a bid on this olympic bar, dumbell and weight set:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OLYMPIC-WEIGHT-SET-140KG-weights-barbell-with-dumbbell_W0QQitemZ280093706787QQcategoryZ44083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The powertec cage looks nice, but a bit too expensive.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby buzz » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Might be worth giving this character a shout http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Olympic-weight-p ... dZViewItem

Never used the angled plates myself, but reckon round are better if you have a choice.
buzz

Postby ninearms » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:57 pm

I've used angled plates - they're okay lifting from a rack, but from the floor they're a bit of a pain, especially on repped deads, because they only have to rotate a little and you have a flat side hitting the floor on one side and a corner on the other.
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby VeganEssentials » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:18 pm

ninearms wrote:I've used angled plates - they're okay lifting from a rack, but from the floor they're a bit of a pain, especially on repped deads, because they only have to rotate a little and you have a flat side hitting the floor on one side and a corner on the other.

I can't stand those things. Reps on deads, barbell rows, and pull from the floor....worst plates ever. You can NEVER re-set the way you want, and I like to roll the bar toward me a bit on deads to get it as close as possible, which cannot be done with those cursed things. Once I start DLing from the floor next month I'm going to have to travel across town to the one gym in the area that still has the old round plates.
http://www.veganessentials.com

And also...

http://www.vegancats.com

"You have become a fraction of the sum"
VeganEssentials

Postby Jonathan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:22 pm

Like the other says, angled plates are a pain in the ass. I have only used them a couple of times and for any repped lift from the floor you are better off with round :D

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby hardcore iv » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:47 am

Thanks for the link, buzz. I was outbidded on the angled plates and since everyone reckons they are crap anyway, I'll give that other seller a call.

What sort of combination of plates is ideal? I'm thinking something like: 2x25, 4x20, 2x15, 2x10, 2x5, 2x2.5 and 2x1.25. That adds up to 197.5kg of plates that should serve me well for a few years :D
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby buzz » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:49 am

hardcore iv wrote:Thanks for the link, buzz. I was outbidded on the angled plates and since everyone reckons they are crap anyway, I'll give that other seller a call.

What sort of combination of plates is ideal? I'm thinking something like: 2x25, 4x20, 2x15, 2x10, 2x5, 2x2.5 and 2x1.25. That adds up to 197.5kg of plates that should serve me well for a few years :D

No probs. Aye, i'd say that combo of plates is ideal. You might need more for rack lockouts and stuff, but can easy add at a later date, another pair of 15's and/or 10's maybe.
buzz

Postby jemmyducks » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:50 am

Forget washing dishes by hand! The mix for the baked bars I make is so thick that the stirring is a serious killer!
Personal Trainer and Nutrition Coach
San Francisco, CA

Check out my Training Log:
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20845&p=341210#p341210

If at first you fail, train, train again.
jemmyducks

Re: My soon to be home gym

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:01 pm

figured it was better to bump than start a new thread

Did some scaled sketching and despite the amount of stuff in the garage there is room for some sort of cage and a 7' barbell.

Issues

1) Heating last two edinburgh winters have been awful and this is a glorified shed. Hoping a space heater will be sufficient. I figure if they could heat Unit 20/train in it in the cold? then i can manage in a much smaller space.

2) low ceilingThe damn roof is only 80" high while most cages/racks are 82" high so the big question is

a) get regular rack and cut it
OR
b) get the sumo rack from New York Barbells for 300 pounds here http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/t ... -sumo-rack
OR
c) find a UK seller (the guys at discount supplements probably will if asked) for this rack which is only 76" tall http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro92560.html but more expensive than sumo rack. Could probably do more with it though.

Drawback to both racks being that the way the bottom of it is set up (it has bars on the bottom that are fixed) means i can't deadlift in it and i'm working in a 8 foot by 7 foot space (until neighbours move out their stuff then i'll have almost double that space).

I think the solution is to raise the platform inside and outside the rack and deadlift from within it.

3) low ceiling = no overhead standing press This is very sad :cry:

Solution?: seated press
OR
Pressing outside in Scottish Weather. ugh but probably fairly convenient if i do it with a kettlebell. Then problems with progressing the weight without buying a million kettlebells.

Can do chin ups/pull ups in the house so that's not a problem

would really miss standing overhead press though :(

Thoughts/ideas?
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby xJimx » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:Heating last two edinburgh winters have been awful and this is a glorified shed. Hoping a space heater will be sufficient. I figure if they could heat Unit 20/train in it in the cold? then i can manage in a much smaller space.

Pressing outside in Scottish Weather. ugh

Thoughts/ideas?

HTFU my brother. My gym (not a home gym but a place I actually pay good money to use) is so cold in the winter & the ceiling leaks so badly that I need to literally de-ice the floor of the squat rack before I begin. Plus I like the fact I have an excuse to workout in a hoodie & a beenie, 'cos it's a bad-ass look that the chicks dig.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:48 pm

xJimx wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:Heating last two edinburgh winters have been awful and this is a glorified shed. Hoping a space heater will be sufficient. I figure if they could heat Unit 20/train in it in the cold? then i can manage in a much smaller space.

Pressing outside in Scottish Weather. ugh

Thoughts/ideas?

HTFU my brother. My gym (not a home gym but a place I actually pay good money to use) is so cold in the winter & the ceiling leaks so badly that I need to literally de-ice the floor of the squat rack before I begin. Plus I like the fact I have an excuse to workout in a hoodie & a beenie, 'cos it's a bad-ass look that the chicks dig.

he he he indeed! I was just worried about injury rate going up in the cold. That and I'm a delicate flower who has spent too long in Southern California ...
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:
1) Heating last two edinburgh winters have been awful and this is a glorified shed. Hoping a space heater will be sufficient. I figure if they could heat Unit 20/train in it in the cold? then i can manage in a much smaller space.

Yes it is an urban legand that unit20 wasn't heated, it in fact had a huge industrial gas space heater pointed at the squat rack for training.
Don't worry about heating too much though, I trained in Ireland in an unheated below zero gym, just wear a hoodie and you will be fine.
Winter is the time for serious bulking and laying the base for a good beach body the next summer, it is time to graft.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Mellos » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:00 pm

baldy wrote:Winter is the time for serious bulking and laying the base for a good beach body the next summer, it is time to graft.

Make that two winters and the summer in between and you got my routine :lol:
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am

my garage gym is up and running! Decided to name it Cú Chulainn after this dude http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BA_Chulainn

Squat rack is super light so i just move it back when i want to deadlift on the matting there

any questions fire away :)

extra info i forgot

I use the Bands for a lot actually heh! Rehab, assisted PUs/CUs, Squatting when i can't get to a barbell (e.g. travelling)

rack is rated to 250kg

It's this one [url]powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf415-squat-and-dip-rack-with-spotter-catchers.php[/url]

Bar is this one http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/powerhouse-5-foot-chrome-olympic-barbell.php rated to 272kg amazingly

bumpers are mostly from Strengthshop with few misc plates from other places thrown in

Bench up against the wall is on long loan from a friend.

There is also an olympic dumbell back at the house

edited to add no where to do pull ups in garage but there is an Irongym back at the house for that.

Rack can be made narrow enough for dips but i don't do dips these days
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby JP » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 am

just watched your gym intro vid, good stuff :D

just a thought, if you were sideways, you could fit 7ft bar in too no?

Some kind of pullup bar would be cool!

it looks like it will be FUN in the winter :D
JP
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Power and Strength