Cutters Corner

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby Jonathan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:05 pm

[quote="Wobbly Lifter"]This thread is a disgrace and should be locked! Bulking Forever! :lol:

I was just going to say that! :lol:

It's funny that I had never noticed this thread before - I do sometimes think that my mind blocks out what it does not want to see!

I vote for a bulkers corner versus cutters corner showdown - it would look very much like this:

:P

Jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby Gaia » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:23 pm

From this angle, a correctly placed head butt from the cutters corner would do the bulkers corner's groin some harm! :lol:
Gaia

Postby fredrikw » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:33 pm

come on now boys, you have your own playground
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4518
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Gaia » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:16 am

New Years is here, so is the cutting diet. Not looking forward to this. Been practicing for about two weeks now with 1 pound less for my efforts (which have been minimal physically, but mentally it has been alot). Have added cardio back into the routine (yoga and treadmill jogging), but haven't watched my diet too much.
Any ideas on fast meals that are low in carbs/high in protein? Already do shakes in between meals, so I need ideas for eating food so my body will still like me :) .
Any supplement ideas? I usually do carnitine towards the end. Tried creatine and it really screwed my body chemistry up, so no on that idea. I did glutamine for awhile, but noticed no difference, so I gave it up (and kept the money for buying the shakes).
All of this cutting is for a bodybuilding contest. What has worked for you in the past? for a BB contest? or a fitness contest?
Gaia

Postby jemmyducks » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Start each meal with a full glass of water. Then eat a ton of vegetables followed by whatever else you want. Finish with tea or something that will help cut your appetite.

How long do you have to lose how much weight?

Jem
Personal Trainer, Health Coach, Dance Artist
San Francisco, CA
jemmyducks

Postby Gaia » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:35 am

The last time I went on stage I was 143, and with the loss of 2 so far, I am still at 174. And the contest is in April. It is doable, but I cry every time I can't lift the weight I was lifting before dieting. I figure it is muscle lost, and last time I was sweating ammonia near the contest time when I would start to drop the weight real fast if I wasn't careful. My hardest point is starting which is now. Adjusting to not being to eat things I want and cardio. I am increasing my cardio by 5 minutes each week (35 this week and continue up to 1 hour. And it is in the morning before breakfast, or after I have a shake 1/2 hour before I go). My problem is usually around 160 when I plateau. I stay there for three or more weeks. I usually have to do something drastic (increase cardio or decrease calories/food) to get over the hump, and then go back to what I was doing. I did all this as an omnivore with chicken breast, brown rice, and all the vegetables I can eat. This is all new to me.
I have alot of discipline and can get over the appetitie part (although I whine an awful lot :D ), but my body likes to keep the fat on.
Gaia

Postby tempehmomma » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:26 pm

This morning 182.5 lbs down from 190 lbs a week or so ago. I've had a cold for the last 3 days. :lol:
tempehmomma

Postby jemmyducks » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 am

And does having a cold mean you don't eat or don't exercise? or both? Funny how getting sick can help the cutting cycle...

I made minor adjustments to my food and exercise program and have definitely got results. It's the slow approach and shouldn't leave me sweating ammonia! Then again, that would be shredded, and this is just fairly cut.

Gaia, there are some others, like Daywalker and Robert Cheeke who have experience preparing for body-building comp's; they can probably give you more advice than I can. One thing I heard Daywalker mention was a "re-feed" day once per week; it's a day on which you eat more than on the other 6, so your body doesn't shut down and go into starvation mode. I haven't personally tried it out though.

Jemmy
Personal Trainer, Health Coach, Dance Artist
San Francisco, CA
jemmyducks

Postby Gaia » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:59 am

Actually, I do that, but not as a rule. I sit down to eat and before I know it I've eaten more than what the food scale says that I am suppose to! So I call it cheating and it bothers me, but lately not so much. As long as I can keep lifting heavy and losing the two pounds per week, then I am happy. So far so good.
Gaia

Postby art to choke hearts » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:15 am

i read that if you keep yourself on a restricted calorie diet, your body will become very effecient at burning those calories or, go into starvation mode and hang on to every one that you eat. so, their theory was that you should have a day where you vary your calorie intake for sure. makes sense.
art to choke hearts

Postby CrashLikeThunder » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:24 pm

I've decided to move from the bulkers corner to the cutters corner for a while. I've put almost 2 stone (12-13kg) on in about 4 months which is great. I seems when I set my mind to it, I can bulk pretty easily. But I need to cut up. As my training partner says: "you're big but in a rugby-player kinda way".

So I'm gonna try this HIIT training thing starting Saturday, but I've decided NOT to diet. While bulking I've been adding more cardio for a few weeks and notice that I stay the same size but am getting a very gradually more defined physique. Like "wannalift", I think my body finds it hard to hold onto muscle if I diet.

So maybe somebody can help me here:
I wanna know what the best time of day (in relation to eating) is to do cardio so that you maximize fat loss and minimize muscle-depletion. For example, logic tells me that there's no point in eating a meal and then doing cardio because the body will just burn the carbs you've just consumed and not touch your storage of body-fat for energy. But on the other hand, doing cardio on an empty stomach surely puts you at much higher-risk of your body cannibalising muscle to create a source of energy.
Advice?
CrashLikeThunder

Postby mollygidget » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:43 am

haha the title of this thread threw me off for so long, but now i'm insanely glad i read it.

as one of the people that spent winter vacation somewhere that wasn't home, with no way to workout (i was with lazy friends) and eating everything in sight (3 vegan hotdogs with fries anyone?) i really need to cut down.

my major questions:

1. low fat/low cal trail mix: what to put in it other than nuts and raisins and granola?

2. fruit for breakfast- am i the only one who gets a really upset stomach when they just eat fruit? is there any really easy low cal/fat suggestion for something to go with it? (under 100 cal or so and can eat on the run, because i never have time to cook breakfast at home)
mollygidget

Postby VeggieMan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:25 pm

[quote="CrashLikeThunder"]
I wanna know what the best time of day (in relation to eating) is to do cardio so that you maximize fat loss and minimize muscle-depletion. For example, logic tells me that there's no point in eating a meal and then doing cardio because the body will just burn the carbs you've just consumed and not touch your storage of body-fat for energy. But on the other hand, doing cardio on an empty stomach surely puts you at much higher-risk of your body cannibalising muscle to create a source of energy.
Advice?

Nothing scientific here.
I think you're going to have to do some trial and error. I would start out by jogging for long periods of time first thing in the morning keeping your lacate threshold between 70-90% for say 45min. I don't know how much your body will canibalize muscle, but IMO I don't think it would be that much since this is low impact work and your body is going to go for the fat for long haul energy.

[quote="mollygidget"]
1. low fat/low cal trail mix: what to put in it other than nuts and raisins and granola?

2. fruit for breakfast- am i the only one who gets a really upset stomach when they just eat fruit? is there any really easy low cal/fat suggestion for something to go with it? (under 100 cal or so and can eat on the run, because i never have time to cook breakfast at home)

How about Cheerios, crasins or other dried fruit. Pretzles?

I never have just fruit. You could do toast or english muffin w/ PB or preserves. Toaster waffles.
Vegan Since Sept 2006
BMI: 24.4
200/180/175
VeggieMan

Postby fredrikw » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:29 pm

I would definitely not cut down on breakfast, rather the opposite. if I do't eat a proper breakfast the rest of the day is ruined energywise. I would definitely not go for a high-GI carb meal such as sugared cereals or anything like that. if you have trouble getting enough time in the morning for breakfast I'd suggest getting up earlier. rushing in the morning and only eat something that you can take on the run doesn't sound like you're going to get a good start in the morning food wise.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby pelicanAndrew » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Yea i eat big early in the day and basically don't eat anything besides fruits or veggies after 10 o'clock.
pelicanAndrew

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating