Anti-Soy Propaganda

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Anti-Soy Propaganda

Postby Renecarol25 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:24 am

Can someone point me to a site that debunks the anti-soy propaganda? I don't believe that stuff but when someone who hasn't been veggie/vegan that long gets told something idiotic and comes to me for answers I want to be able to say more than "That's just lies the meat and dairy industry feed the public because they are scared of losing profits."
Renee
Renecarol25

Postby kettlebellnut » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:39 am

kettlebellnut

Postby veganmike » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:56 am

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy

Especially the article by Mr. and Mrs. Messina.
veganmike

Postby Renecarol25 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:44 am

I got a great link off VWL.
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04167/331753.stm
thanks for the advice,
Renee
Renecarol25

Postby J » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:58 pm

If I didn't eat soy already, I wouldn't now.

Nipple discharge, breast enlargement and slight decreases in testosterone occurred with the megadoses. But "we still couldn't find anything that was serious....

Uhh, I'd consider that beyond serious!
J

Postby Renecarol25 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:02 pm

Soy has a lot of health benefits that far outweigh the negative side effects associated with cosuming large amounts. Large amounts of anything can harm you. You could die from drinking too much water but we stop drinking water do we?
Renecarol25

Postby JP » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:09 am

emphryio wrote:If I didn't eat soy already, I wouldn't now.

Nipple discharge, breast enlargement and slight decreases in testosterone occurred with the megadoses. But "we still couldn't find anything that was serious....

emph, you left out the important part in the quote:

...with the megadoses. But "we still couldn't find anything that was serious, and we went up to doses that are probably 30 times what you could get from normal foods

They are referring to phyto-oestrogens found in soy - same little devils are found in many other food stuffs, from wide variety of plant sources to meat and dairy. You cannot escape them.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:46 am

Note the use of the word "MEGADOSES!" If you eat mega doses of potatoes you get arthritis. If you eat mega doses of apples you get wind. If you eat mega doses of anything it is bad for you. Mega doses of water can cause kidney failure!

Let me ask you a question. How many Chinese and Japanese men do you see walking around with breasts swinging about? (Sumo wrestlers aside...) These nations have been eating soy in large quantity for four thousand years, and it hasn't done them any harm! And there is far more hormones in meat.

Sorry to go off on one, but really! Mega doses are so high that you couldn't consume them except on medical advisement. Argh. Burble burble bletchit. I wish soy did give people boobs. Then we could get silly women to go veggie instead of having implants put in.

Oh yeah, and Séamus is eight - no sign of malformation on any of his bits, let me tell you. Boys at his school have breasts, cause they are overweight. Séamus has visibly cut arms, and damned good shoulders and leg muscles. No tits. I am telling the truth here! And although he has now developed modesty, there appears to be nothing wrong in the private department either. He came home from school crying a few months ago, because when he was getting changed for p.e. one of the other boys told him his "willy was too big." Maybe it's the soy...

Grrrrrrr.
Mary

Postby Pete » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:26 pm

In all honest you have to take with a pinch of salt all the "research" about soya, good or bad. The negative stuff is funded by the dairy industry & the positive is funded by the soya industry. It's a festering pit of pseudo-science & half truths.
So, no soya wont give you breasts & no it wont cure cancer. It's just a food, very much like lots of other food, but with a useful amino acid profile for strength athletes (as long as you haven't got an allergy to it).
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby kettlebellnut » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:10 pm

"willy was too big." Maybe it's the soy...

Now, if we could just get a study funded that would discover that Soy gave you a bigger willy there would be more Vegans almost overnight.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kettlebellnut

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:17 pm

Nobody would believe it. Don't think anybody believes studies anymore...
Mary

Postby J » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:29 pm

OK, ok.
J

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:36 pm

You don't have to eat soya to be vegan though. My famous Granny didn't, for over forty years. And I bet St David of Wales (another historical vegan) didn't. If you are happy getting your protein from somewhere else, do so! After all, who ever heard of a gorilla eating soya? And they get pretty damned big!
Mary

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:55 pm

IMHO the researchers didn't think it was serious because the effects were reversible and they had to feed the subjects 30 times the isoflavones they could get from soy foods to produce the results.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby J » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:38 am

OK since three different people pointed it out, instead of leaving it alone I'm going to point out that, how'd they determine it was "30 times" the amount you could get from food?

30 times what you can get from a bowl of soybeans? Glass of soy milk? How about 150 grams of soy protein shake? That might be close to 30 times what you'd get from a glass of soymilk/bowl of soybeans. And I'm capable of knocking down a 150 gram protein shake at one setting.

And like I care that it's reversible. :? I can just see myself staring at my boobs each night wondering if they're getting bigger.

Anyway it doesn't matter. I don't eat soy anyway.
J

Next

Return to New Vegan