reality tv is crap, but...

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

reality tv is crap, but...

Postby Man On Bike. » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:38 am

how about a show called vegan challenge, where contestants have to go a week without eating any animal products, but the catch is that they have to stick to their normal food outlets.

i think it would highlight how difficult it is to find products that dont contain animal.

can't even get a jar of tomato salsa without milk in it... Image
Man On Bike.

Postby bronco » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:10 pm

I dont think it's that hard to find vegan food, unless you are looking for something specific.
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:23 pm

I think if it shows that it's difficult to find vegan products it will put people off becoming vegan. That's a real shame.
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby Man On Bike. » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:32 pm

bronco wrote:I dont think it's that hard to find vegan food, unless you are looking for something specific.
it depends where you look. there are places that dont sell anything vegan
littlegirlbunny wrote:I think if it shows that it's difficult to find vegan products it will put people off becoming vegan. That's a real shame.
or, conversely, it would highlight the issue and encourage food producers and food outlets to change
Man On Bike.

Postby fredrikw » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:06 pm

I agree with LGB, it sounds like a terrible idea and will put people off considering becoming vegan.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Man On Bike. » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:28 pm

why would it put people off?

given that the effect of the programme partially depends on the intentions of the programme makers (and their understanding of the subject), it would certainly be possible to make a programme that could potentially inlfluence change on a widespread scale

look at jamie olivers school dinners for example... that highlighted how difficult it is to get healthy food for school children, and didnt put people off eating healthy food... in fact many more school kids are eating healthier food now partly as a result of jamies efforts...
Last edited by Man On Bike. on Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Man On Bike.

Postby tempehmomma » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:42 pm

I don't think it would be a good idea. If some people who have been eating animal products their entire life went "cold turkey" for a week without consuming animal products they might feel physically weak/fatigued from not getting proper nutrients in their diet.

This idea is about as good as my idea for a new combat sport. :roll: :lol:
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8408
tempehmomma

Postby fredrikw » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:45 pm

Man On Bike. wrote:why would it put people off?

because they would only see the problems in becoming vegans, isn't that obvious? the whole point with your show would be to challenge people to become vegans when at the same time restricting them in getting food. the counter productivity is so obvious it's almost hard to argue for it... :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby runner » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:59 pm

in a dutch show they asked a butcher to eat vegetarian all week, first problem was that he did not stick to it second one was that he was talking negatively about all alternatives.

it's much better to show a healthy vegan that does not have to look for all products, because he/she knows what products are vegan (how many)..
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:31 pm

How about a reality TV show in which a bunch of gourmet cooks have to take it in turns to host dinner parties for the others, and there's a variety of strict diets to cater for in the group, such as a vegan, a muslim, a person with a gluten allergy, etc. I'd watch that...
Hiking Fox

Postby Man On Bike. » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:49 pm

Cycling Fox wrote:How about a reality TV show in which a bunch of gourmet cooks have to take it in turns to host dinner parties for the others, and there's a variety of strict diets to cater for in the group, such as a vegan, a muslim, a person with a gluten allergy, etc. I'd watch that...
Well done for coming up with something else... that would be a good idea too I think
Man On Bike.

Return to Culture