My hamstrings want a workout too

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

My hamstrings want a workout too

Postby i live in omaha » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:56 pm

So i want to work my hamstrings out without the use of an exercise machine (ie no machine leg curls, prone or sitting or whatever). Any suggestions?
"No More just looking out for myself when the price paid is the life of something else.
No More, i won't participate." - Youth of Today
-- hello, my name is david --
i live in omaha

Hamstring workouts

Postby VeganEssentials » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:01 am

My favorites (in no particular order) include:

- Squats (push from the heels and not your toes and you'll certainly feel it in the hamstrings)

- Stiff legged deadlifts

- Romanian deadlifts

- Good mornings (not necessarily a direct hamstring exercise, but still, it does some work on them nonetheless)

- Good old regular deadlifts (check my training log for info on just how much I love 'em!)

Between these things you'll have little to no need for any machine assisted hamstring work. I do some on occasion, and the two things I will sometimes do are standard lying leg curls or leg presses using the heels only (hanging the front half of my foot off so as to use little quad power and recruit more hamstring activity.) I do these single-leg, all the way until it hits my chest and can't go any lower for 2-3 heavy sets at most. Not a bad exercise if you've got to use machines.

Hope these suggestions help a bit!

Ryan
VeganEssentials

Postby Renecarol25 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:22 am

What about step ups on a chair or something with dumbells in each hand. That'll really work your hamstrings out.
Renecarol25

Postby funfetus » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:02 pm

I'll second the stiff-leg deadlifts. I don't even quite understand biomechanically why they work the hamstrings, but I did them for the first time the other day, and oh my god. It was a couple days before I recovered enough to sit on a toilet seat without pain.
funfetus

lunges

Postby nanoking » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:19 pm

I second Renecarol's lunge or chair stepping exercise. Lunges will hit your glutes too. Make sure to stretch out your groin and glutes before attempting. Muscle cramp/twitch city!

-NK
nanoking

yes

Postby i live in omaha » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:35 pm

i've been doing lunges but i wasn't aware that they hit the hamstrings too.

Awesome, thanks!
"No More just looking out for myself when the price paid is the life of something else.
No More, i won't participate." - Youth of Today
-- hello, my name is david --
i live in omaha

Postby nanoking » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:47 pm

nice encyclopedia of exercises at http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/

but beware their meaty forums and occasionally overblown articles.

-NK
nanoking

Re: yes

Postby JP » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:49 pm

i live in omaha wrote:i've been doing lunges but i wasn't aware that they hit the hamstrings too.

if you weren't aware, perhaps they are not good enough or working for you :wink:

I'd go with stiff-legged deadlifts. By far the best ham exercise IMO. I do like Good Mornings as well, but since you are hard pressed to move as much weight as you can with SLDL's, i would not use them as primary ham movement.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Renecarol25 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:07 pm

Then you need to use more weight. I just went up to 40# dumbbells on my lunges and believe me I feel it. I'm so ready to get back in the gym today. Yay!!
Renecarol25

Postby Pete » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:12 pm

Some form of stiff leg deadlift gets my vote too, just remember to start light & get the form sorted before you push them too hard & I'd also stetch a bit before doing them.
For back safety I'd do them from the ground, not while standing in a bench (as is commonly recommended) & don't go down so far you overstretch your muscles, mid-shin or just below knee is fine. About the height of a 45 pound (20K) disc on the bar is a good guide for those with an average build, raise it a little if you are taller or inflexible, use smaller plates is you are smaller or have excellent flexibility (that is just my personal opinion, others may have other views :?: ).
I always recommend that you lift the bar originally like a conventional deadlift, then start the first rep from the upright position, as most injuries I've heard of from this move seem to have come from lifting from the ground for the first rep or rushing reps during the set. Neither of which are a good idea on this move.
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby nanoking » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:38 am

I second Pete's advice. Just got back from chiropractor...

Oh so important to keep good form, keep neutral spine, and all that. If you experience any tingling (like the feeling you get when your foot falls asleep) in your shoulder blade area after doing SLDLs or similar exercises you might have rounded your shoulders and popped a rib or irritated a nerve. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything... :oops:
nanoking

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights