Boxing fans?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Boxing fans?

Postby SpugFab » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:47 pm

Any boxers/boxing fans out there in vegan fitness world?

I'm having a quick surf waiting for the Woods-Johnson fight, looking forward to see Amir Khan again (although I thought he showed in his last fight that he needed to take his time and be patient, wasn't impressed at all).

Should really be up there (Bolton isn't far from Liverpool) but had forgotten all about it until today. I need to start reading "Boxing News" again :cry:
SpugFab

Postby tempehmomma » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:16 pm

I am a boxing fan but I do not have cable television. Professional boxing has become a bit of a joke. I think the match-ups in most weight divisions were more competitive in the late 70's, 80's and 90's. Promotors like Don "convicted murderer" King and Bob Arum have corrupted and f***** up the sport. It seems like fighters avoid each other and many of the top competitors seem to take forever before they finally have a match against each other. I miss the days of Lenard, Hearns, Duran, Aaron Pryor, Hagler, Tyson every other month, Meldrick Taylor, Alexis Argueo, Wilfred Benitez, Ray Mancini, Julio Caesar Chavez.
tempehmomma

Postby Tigress » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:25 pm

I like to watch any kind of fighting

Do you watch the Contender ? I have only seen a couple of episodes because I keep forgetting its on
Tigress

Postby tempehmomma » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:28 pm

Tigress wrote:I like to watch any kind of fighting

Do you watch the Contender ? I have only seen a couple of episodes because I keep forgetting its on

Wasn't that show a ratings flop? :? Subscribe to HBO and Showtime and watch some real fights. :lol:
tempehmomma

Postby SpugFab » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:50 pm

tempehmma wrote:I am a boxing fan but I do not have cable television. Professional boxing has become a bit of a joke. I think the match-ups in most weight divisions were more competitive in the late 70's, 80's and 90's. Promotors like Don "convicted murderer" King and Bob Arum have corrupted and f***** up the sport. It seems like fighters avoid each other and many of the top competitors seem to take forever before they finally have a match against each other. I miss the days of Lenard, Hearns, Duran, Aaron Pryor, Hagler, Tyson every other month, Meldrick Taylor, Alexis Argueo, Wilfred Benitez, Ray Mancini, Julio Caesar Chavez.

These fights are free-to-air in the UK tonight :D

WHAT A FIGHT!!!! :shock: :D :shock: :D

Woods and Johnson are true throw-back fighters!

The 80s were a great time for boxing. I was a bit young to follow it in the early eighties but when I got back into it in my late teens a guy at the gym loaned me 30 or so VHS tapes filled with fights from '83 onwards. Some truely amazing fights. The first Arguello-Pryor might just be my favourite fight. Love Mancini and fighters of his style (Bobby Chacon springs to mind). That punch that Hearns lands on Duran, Duran beating Moore, Duran beating Leonard, Hagler-Hearns first round. Tyson destroying all in his path to the title. I loved it all (even on crusty VHS :D)

Having said that there's some great fights going on in boxing just now. The main problem is with the TV coverage now, going to pay per view in the UK really hurt the sport.
SpugFab

Postby SpugFab » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:55 pm

I'm the same actually, have only seen a couple of episodes. Never seen the UFC equivalent either (although I've seen guys from it fight).

I really like the format though. Even the in-fight slow motion and dramatic music :lol:

I might make a bit more of an effort to watch it this week then. Maybe even check out what's been happening on the web.

Monday at 9 on ITV4 I think.
SpugFab

Postby PaulMarsh » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:16 am

Having watched two utterly uncompetetive football matches (Scotland v Faroe Islands and England v Andorra) to actually see soem competetive boxing last night was terrific.
PaulMarsh

Postby SpugFab » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:15 pm

PaulMarsh wrote:Having watched two utterly uncompetetive football matches (Scotland v Faroe Islands and England v Andorra) to actually see soem competetive boxing last night was terrific.

I've seen too many competitive games between Scotland and the Faroes. 6-0 is just fine with me. I'm planning on going to Scotland-France with some French mates (assuming I can get tickets), can't see that being as smooth.

I guess Calzaghe-Woods is on the cards now. Would be a good fight for fans over here, but the way Woods shipped the right hand from Johnson all night makes me think Calzaghe would have too much for him.
SpugFab

Postby Tigress » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:37 pm

spug_myers wrote:

I'm the same actually, have only seen a couple of episodes. Never seen the UFC equivalent either (although I've seen guys from it fight).

I really like the format though. Even the in-fight slow motion and dramatic music :lol:

I might make a bit more of an effort to watch it this week then. Maybe even check out what's been happening on the web.

Monday at 9 on ITV4 I think.

Ultimate fighter is on tonight. We are an episode behind the states - but its a good series as this one is full of fighters who didn't quite get their break in the fight world.

Last week's fight was a real bloodbath so its worth checking out :)
Tigress

Postby SpugFab » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:58 pm

I saw some of it last week before UFC62, but it's on Bravo and while at home in Liverpool I'm stuck on freeview :?

Really enjoying my MMA stuff at the moment. There's a good gym near me, it's under the Chris Brennan Next Generation banner. I'm psyching myself up to head along (but it clashes with a game of football and I tend to take the easy option).

Maybe tomorrow....
SpugFab

Postby Tigress » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:00 pm

Yuk to football...

get to class :)
Tigress

Postby SpugFab » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:23 pm

Tigress wrote:Yuk to football...

get to class :)

It's a fair point. One that my sister makes to me constantly.

I suck at football anyway, I'll visit them on Monday evening (officially just a scouting mission, but I'll take some kit along).

Should get home before contender :)
SpugFab

Postby Tigress » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:07 pm

I like your sister already

enjoy the class :)
Tigress

Postby SpugFab » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Tigress wrote:I like your sister already

enjoy the class :)

I like her too :lol:

She runs a couple of kickboxing clubs for a living along with her fiance, a former kickboxing champion who's recently got into grappling. In fact one of the main reasons I have to involve myself with MMA is to kick his ass should he slight her honour (admittedly an unlikely event, he's a great guy) - in the meantime I console myself with beating him at chess :? .

Sadly my chances of getting to class are evaporating before my eyes. I have a deadline of "tomorrow morning" which I can't miss. I reckon I'm out of here at 8 at the earliest (and before anyone says - I'm not wasting time on here, I'm waiting for code & data to build and run :wink: ).

I might drop in and have a look on the way home if I finish before nine.

I will start soon, I promise. Don't tell my sister...
SpugFab

Postby SpugFab » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:14 pm

spug_myers wrote:I reckon I'm out of here at 8 at the earliest

9 o'clock ticks by.

Sigh :cry:

There goes this week's Contender too.
SpugFab

Next

Return to Martial Arts