Too fat to be a cyclist. Too skinny to be a weightlifter.

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Too fat to be a cyclist. Too skinny to be a weightlifter

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:20 pm

35km ride around the Wyre Forest and surrounding area.
Sort of a cross between a training ride and just messing about exploring.

It got a bit muddy across one field, the wheels wouldn't go round.
Picture 018 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

It still stuck there after I got to the road.
Picture 019 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Konstantin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:35 am

That's a bike that's been places!!
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby benzilla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 pm

It looks like you might be the most qualified to post here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22413

:lol:
benzilla

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 am

It's been places where it hasn't been ridden. :D
I ended up half carrying,half dragging it across the field.
Bike cleaning that day was little more than getting up to speed and letting the mud fly off the tyres on its own.
Best done going down hill with my mouth shut, there were clumps of mud flying everywhere.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Konstantin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:05 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:Best done going down hill with my mouth shut, there were clumps of mud flying everywhere.

:D

I now understand why Ha, a raw cyclist, has no need for B12 supplements. Maybe he doesn't close his mouth.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

No proper training recently, but I've been keeping track of my mileage this month and I went over 500km yesterday, the 26th.
I've never kept track before and always guessed at about 6000km a year.
Looks like I should pass that easily this year, I'm on near enough 20km a day so far and half of that's in the dark. I'll be doing more when the days get longer.

There's an orienteering event within walking distance of home on Feb 6th which I intend to enter.
I had an unscheduled dismount on tarmac last Sunday, nothing too serious, it was wet and a fairly smooth surface, so I got virtually no abrasion, but a bit of swelling on my knee as I went down with quite a bump.
The distance for my age category is 8.5km, although I can't run at all at the moment. I think there's the option to enter for a shorter distance, so if I don't feel up to it by then, that's what I'll do.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:13 pm

24km round Clee hill on Sunday with a load of friends from Bikeradar forum, Bridgnorth Cycling Club and the Wyre Forest MTB Facebook group, 16 of us altogether.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/65922617
I rode to the meeting place and back again afterwards, so I did about 60km in total.

Titterstone Clee summit, with the golf ball in the background, a civil aviation radio transmitter.

631km on a mountain bike in January.
Shorter month with longer days coming up, let's see if I can beat that.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I've started a photo challenge on STW Forum with a different theme each week. The idea is to get people out on their bikes to places they might not normally go, then take a picture based on the current theme
I could do with a few more pictures on my training log, as there's not much training or racing going on, so here's my pictures for this week's theme of Public Art.

These two are on a canal bridge under the Kidderminster ring road.

Picture 049 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

Picture 050 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

This one's on a Severn Valley Railway bridge over the road in Bewdley.

Picture 052 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:17 pm

I love your STW challenge idea BGW! Hopefully will get out n get some pics myself this weekend :)

Those taken under the kiddy canal bridge are awesome - what great graffiti!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby VeganGraham » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:22 am

There's a whole row of those faces hidden in the glare of the second photo, but the tow path is too narrow to step back and appreciate them or get a clear photo.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:00 am

Last weekend, Sunday 6th February.
Orienteering in the Wyre Forest.

My first ever foot orienteering event.
Close enough to home that I walked to the start. I picked the second longest (blue) route, 5.6km.
It's a bit different to trailquesting. Trailquests only use public rights of way and the control points are normally on easily identifiable landmarks, like a telegraph pole or sign post.
Orienteering control points are in the middle of a forest and the only way to find them is to take a bearing from a recognisable terrain feature.
I was doing OK up until CP 14, when I got lost. I wasn't exactly lost, I was only about 500m from home, but I was in the wrong block of forest. By the time I had returned to a known point on the map and set off in the right direction again, I had wasted about 20 minutes.

Last in age category, 3rd from last overall.
http://www.harlequins.org.uk/results/20 ... sults.html
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Three hour trailquest around Smisby, Leicestershire.

First event of the Spring series.
I was doing OK until about half an hour before the end when I completely misjudged the time, distance, hills and headwind. Got back 19 minutes late for 80 penalty points.
15th/51 overall.
57km in 3:19
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/68460242
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby bob_summers » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 pm

i'd be well into trailquest if it existed here. seems to be like huntsabbing, on a bike, with no hunt ;-)
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:34 am

Ha ha, I'd never thought of it like that before, but yeah, you're right, even the CP markers are red & white. :D
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I've been logging my total cycling distance this year and I went over 1000km today. 8)
All on a 29er mountain bike and 676km of it on a single speed. :P
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs