Too fat to be a cyclist. Too skinny to be a weightlifter.

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Too fat to be a cyclist. Too skinny to be a weightlifter

Postby Orkje » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:51 am

Good job! 12-hour ss racing, mmmmmm :P
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back. - Henry Rollins
Orkje

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 am

If I'm going to be representing Vegan Fitness at the West Midlands Vegan fair, I really ought to have an active training log on here.
Here we go with a bit of an update then...

24 hour race at Catton Park, Derbyshire;
It was very muddy. Most riders were pushing through a lot of the course through the trees. I ended up breaking the drive belt and retiring at about 11 hours in. So many other people retires as well that I still finished 33rd/81 overall (no separate veterans class)

12 hour race at Gorrick, Surrey;
Got the worst cramp I have ever had and the worst pins and needles and bruising on my hands that I ever had too. Lost all motivation when I found I wasn't even in the top ten and retired at about 9:30. Still finished 18th/41 veteran.

3:30 hour trailquest around Govilon, Monmouthshire;
This one was steep. Proper Welsh Mountains. As usual, I planned my route before setting off and only made one significant mistake in not adapting the plan to suit the course.
I spent about 1/2 an hour riding up a steep hill to get a score of 30, then being unable to use the height gained to ride back down quickly because of all the blind bends on a narrow lane, yet missed an easy 30 point CP only about 1km along a disused railway, which would have taken me less than 5 minutes.
10th/35 overall

3 hour trailquest around Lowsonford, Warwickshire;
Fairly flat and fast, although a bit muddy on some of the bridleways.
7th/43 overall

3 hour trailquest near Church Stretton, Shropshire;
Another steep one, up Wenlock Edge and back down again. Everything seemed to go right, good route choice and good navigation for a change.
3rd/36 overall

I'm currently 10th/114 in the Autumn League after four events. Highest placed rider with only three results. Best four results from seven events count.

8 hour race at Aston Court, Bristol;
2nd at the last 8 hour and 3rd at the last 12 hour event on this course in the single speed class, with the two guys who beat me not entered this time, I thought I was in with a realistic chance of a SS win.
Up hill run at the start and as usual, I feel like I'm getting left behind as I see all the sprinters disappearing off in the distance.
Started off lapping in about 35 minutes. By lap 6 I was down to 40 minutes, although I managed to hold this pace for the rest of the race without getting any slower.
With no support crew and no other riders shouting to me, I had no idea what position I was in until I crossed the line at the end and a friend told me I had won.
I was really struggling for motivation during the middle part of the race. I feel OK at the start while I'm still reasonably fresh, and OK towards the end as I count down the last few laps, but from about 3 to 5 hours in I find it really hard to keep going.
I get loads of support from the marshals and other riders though. The marshalling is done by Air Cadets and they all know me by now and shout "Go Vegan" as I ride past.
A lot of other riders know me, either through seeing me at other races or through STW forum, and will give me encouragement as they overtake.
1st/5 Single Speed
I'd have been 4th/23 in the veterans class or 12th/51 in the open class.
Top 1/5 overall at 49 years old on a single speed with a cold. :P
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Orkje » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:15 am

Nice update! That's some seriously solid riding there!
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back. - Henry Rollins
Orkje

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:15 pm

First trailquest of the year last Sunday and I'm riding mixed pairs with Mary on the tandem for this series at least.
Three hours around Newchurch, Staffordshire.
Looking at the map beforehand, it looked a fairly flat area with not a lot of off road trails. Ideal for a novice tandem team.
I didn't know what to expect, so planned a route of about 40km. On a solo, I'd have been aiming for at least 50km.

All went well for the first hour or so, then I thought the front tyre felt a bit soft.
We carried on round a blind bend until we got to a safe place to stop and, sure enough, we'd got a puncture.
That's when we realised that as we were sorting out water bottles, patches, tubes and tools at the start, neither of us had brought the pump.
We were wondering if we could make it back to the start before it went down completely, when we remembered there was a transport yard just before the bend with the gates open.
We went back and found that, by an amazing coincidence, we had had a puncture within 50m of probably the only open workshop with a compressor in 100sq km of sparsely populated countryside.

We ended up back 8 minutes late after riding almost exactly 40km.
2nd/3 over 100 combined age mixed pairs. 27th/35 overall. http://www.midlandtrailquests.co.uk/eve ... .php?e=162
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/279938096

First event on the tandem and we'd had less than 100km practice altogether on it up to that day, so still a lot to learn.
I've converted it to tubeless and swapped the tyres since then.
We were using Maxxis Minion DH Super Tacky tyres and the drag on tarmac was incredible, even at 45psi. We'd stop pedalling 100m before a junction, intending to roll up to the stop line, only to have to start pedalling again 50m away.
I've fitted a pair of Maxxis Larsen DH tyres. Still heavy at about 1100g each, but closer tread blocks and a lot faster rolling.
I've bought a pump and bracket, so that can stay on the tandem and won't get left behind again.

The tandem's got solid, not QR axles. We went for a ride today and forgot to take a 15mm spanner. I need to make up another specific tool kit to leave on it, instead of swapping stuff between bikes.
We're getting more used to riding it now though. It's hard work up hill and not very manoeuvrable at low speeds off road, but it's a great way for the two of us to go for a bike ride together.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby kallefs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 pm

All in all it sounds like a nice day.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Yes, it was.
The fun started before we even got there. We drove there with the tandem on the roof of the Land Rover and it seemed like every cyclist we passed was looking at it with a "Hey, look. An MTB tandem !" expression.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am

Second trailquest of the year at Lower Quinton, Warwickshire.
Another reasonably flat area with not a lot of off road, so well suited to the tandem.
45km with 560m of climbing in 2:58.
19th/40 overall.
Currently 15th/51 overall and leading the mixed pairs in the Spring League after two events.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Five months since my last update and I'm still on page two. Looks like there's not many active training logs here, so I'll try to reactivate this one.

Three hour mountain bike orienteering event around Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, with Mary on the tandem.
Equal 11th/36 score, although earliest start gets the benefit, so we were ranked as 15th.

We were 18th/113 overall in the Spring series and top scoring mixed pair of any age.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:19 am

Three and a half hour mountain bike orienteering event around Govilon, South Wales on Sunday.
I haven't been riding as much as I used to lately and hill climbing is still my weak point, so I entered this more to enjoy the scenery than as a serious attempt at racing.
I planned my route beforehand, which included a big loop around The Blorenge mountain for a single control point, as I assumed it would be a high scoring one.
Once I got the score sheet and realised it was only worth 30 points, I should have changed my plans, but it looked like a good track on the map, so I thought I'd just enjoy the ride and not worry too much about the results.
The map was divided by the River Usk, with only two crossing points. After spending so much time on that one loop, by the time I crossed the river and got one more CP, I didn't have time to ride to the other crossing and back to the start, so I doubled back over the same bridge for more wasted mileage.
43km in 3:27 so just about back in time. 45 minutes stationary, which is terrible, I really need to get faster at reading a map and making decisions on the fly.
310 points, equal 3rd highest score overall, which surprised me. Maybe I should have taken it a bit more seriously.

http://www.strava.com/activities/96870923

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/results/report.php?event_id=476
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Midland Trailquests, organisers of the mountain bike orienteering events I normally ride, have got a winter series of Lanequests, orienteering on the road, for road bikes, but with the occasional bridleway shortcut available to give the MTBs a chance.
I rode the first event yesterday at Norton Lindsey, near Kenilworth, Warwickshire.
With little experience on the CX bike, other than a week's commuting, I didn't know how far I could ride in 3 hours.
I planned a route of about 60km, with options to cut short or add a bit on.
In the end, I did 70km in 3:06 for 5th overall, 3rd in age category.
http://www.strava.com/activities/98073120
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:54 pm

I've changed my shift pattern at work, I now do four on three off. Still about 45 hours a week, but it gives me a chance to get a long midweek ride in.
We rode up to Much Wenlock on the tandem a couple of weeks ago, so I did a route based on this, partly in reverse with a bit extra as well on the new CX bike.
http://www.strava.com/activities/98606007
82km with some fairly heavy going off road in places, which got me thinking I ought to do a 100km ride sometime soon and maybe have a go at a 100 miler.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby downhillingdemon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:44 pm

Seriously, BGW, isn't it about time you updated this?

Chop chop! :wink:
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Previous

Return to Training Logs