Too fat to be a cyclist. Too skinny to be a weightlifter.

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Too fat to be a cyclist. Too skinny to be a weightlifter

Postby kallefs » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:54 am

An 8h cyclocross race :) Well done by the way.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby bob_summers » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 am

Saw this on STW, fantastic result! Sounds like it was a demanding course as well... nice one.
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Either I got it wrong first time, or they've updated the results. I was 2nd/7 single speed, 9th/98 solo male overall (SS, vets & open).
http://www.timelaps.co.uk/assets/upload ... 0/2011#8hr Singlespeed Male
I did a practice lap on Friday in 30:47, which included missing a turn as the course wasn't fully marked, so I had to double back to take the correct route.

This was an 8 hour event with any lap not completed within the 8 hours not counting.
30 minute laps was an unrealistic goal, so I settled for 15 laps at 32 minutes as my target, with 14 laps at 34 and a bit minutes as a fall back plan.

I set my GPS to show total time, current lap and last lap times, so I could keep track of how I was doing.
I did my first lap in 32:40. Allowing for the run at the start and the inevitable first lap traffic jams, I was on schedule.
I kept pressing on. Every lap I thought "I can't hold this pace for eight hours", but I was gaining a minute or so each lap on my target, which meant I could afford to slow down later if I had to. Somehow, I didn't have to.

A lot of the course was twisty, stone surfaced single track which I found almost effortless to ride, almost like a big BMX pump track. I often found myself freewheeling and having to brake behind other riders who were pedalling.
This meant I could treat the single track as recovery sections and save the big effort for the hills.

I had a friend riding in the pairs category mixing up my drinks between her laps, so I always came back to a full bottle for a quick swap.
I lapped her twice, the second time she shouted after me that I was 2nd, although I didn't know how big the gap was between myself and 1st and 3rd
In the end, I was 6 minutes behind 1st and a lap ahead of 3rd in the single speed category.
I would have been 2nd in veterans or 7th in open.
I would have been top quarter in the teams of 4. :D

During the race I was drinking a 750ml bottle of Torq every two laps and about one Torq gel per lap.
I find all that sugar makes me thirsty, but the drink is so sickly I have to force myself to drink it.
I stopped at one point and gulped down about half a litre of water in one go.
I think, in future, I'd be better off with two 0.5 litre bottles, one for torq and one for water, or maybe double up on the gels and just drink water.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby VeganGraham » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Frostfire » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Great pics and SUPER great to see a vegan uniform on the podium (even though you have pretzel-medals). Well done, these events you do are just insane. Insanly awesome that is ;)
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby vegan hal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 pm

haha! pretzel medals. and pretzels are usually vegan.

Well done BGW! you did awesome!
vegan hal

Postby baldy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:31 am

Well done, certainly time to change your training log title!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks everyone.
Frostfire, even better than the podium place is that well over half the field, including relay teams of four, got lapped by a veteran in a Vegan Cyclists jersey. :D
Baldy, I can't find my scales, but I'm guessing I'm not much over 90kg at the moment. Still comfortably in the Overweight range on those BMI charts. 8)
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Five cyclists riding up a hill.
Can you guess which one's on a single speed ? :D

Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby Frostfire » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Nice photo, and nice one for getting picked up by the Vegan Society on their fb page! :)
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks, I posted it there, then a couple of hours later, they reposted it themselves. I was on the front page twice with over 70 likes. I've never been so popular. 8)
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Smooth work mate!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby HumanGazelle » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:17 am

Nice one BGW! And good adaptation of the Vegan Runners style lettering - it makes it look like a proper sports brand 8)
HumanGazelle

Postby IronGirl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:40 am

Great work BGW. Brilliant to see the Vegan colours up there on the podium. Well done, thoughly deserved after all your hard work this year.
IronGirl

Postby VeganGraham » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:01 pm

No proper training or racing to report recently.
I set myself a target of 10 000km on the bike this year and I have logged every ride on Endomondo, BikeJournal and FetchEveryone, somehow ending up with three different totals.
It soon became apparent that I was falling behind schedule with no chance of catching up.
I pressed on anyway and reset my goal as 9000km.
I just went over it today.

9000km on a mountain bike so far this year.
Over half that logged on a single speed.
Estimated ~40% off road.
Estimated ~30% in the dark.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs