Les Mills Disco Diva Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Les Mills Disco Diva Log

Postby Rochellita » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:03 pm

Time to start with a fresh log, my old one was getting too long.

My energy levels seem to be on the up again fortunately, after probably a good four weeks of not managing or being motivated to exercise much.

So this week has not started badly at all. All the new releases for Les Mills Body bla bla are out and so far so good. Very disco indeed and I'm enjoying all of them

Today we were treated to a freaky disco version of Woman in Love by Barbara Streisand in RPM. Strangely appealing actually.

Monday 2 October

(repeat from old log)

Body Balance

Tuesday 3 October

(back to back)
Body Attack

40 mins/ max HR 181, avg 143/ 421 cals

This is a Body Attack choreography, today's class was abbreviated at 40 minutes so we missed the last 2 tracks. Class normally last 55 mins. Definitions from the Les Mills website. I'm including the choreography for each class at the start of my log so that its clear what each class entails.

1. Warmup
The focus in the opening track is on big, simple aerobic moves to get the body warm.

2. Mixed impact
This track will take you through an increasing range of moves and footstrikes, preparing the body for the aerobic action ahead.

3. Aerobic
Step up the intensity and range of movement and get into your personal training ‘zone’ ahead of the peak track to follow.

4. Plyometric
This is where the class hits its first intensity peak, putting the body under load through quick-fi re plyometric exercises often used in sports training.

5. Upper body conditioning
Time to bring the heart rate down and recover, as well as building strength. The focus here is on shoulders, chest, triceps and core conditioning work for toning and shaping the upper body.

6. Running
Loosen up again with some free and patterned running and get the legs ready to fi re again.

7. Agility
It’s now time to test your speed and agility with a big mix of moves and have fun with some class interaction.

8. Interval
Challenge your cardio systems with a series of work-recovery blocks.

9. Power
The final peak where you dig deep and push through powerful moves for maximum effort. Enjoy the group dynamic at the heart of BODYATTACK.

10. Lower body conditioning
Time to recover the heart rate while conditioning the lower body for great shape, condition and tone.

11. Cooldown
stretch.

RPM

Totals include walk home: 77 mins/ max HR 174, avg 129/ 665 cals

This is an RPM choreography. Definitions from the Les Mills website.

1. Warm up
Warms up the legs and increases core temperature. The pace is easy and resistance light.

2. Pace
Speed and intensity increase as riders work toward top personal pace. The road is flat until we encounter a small hill designed to warm up the climbing muscles.

3. Hills
The first set of hill climbs, designed to increase leg strength and endurance. Riders are coached through the positions, resistance and intensity.

4. Mixed Terrain
Recover at fi rst; then stay in the working zone through a series of short climbs, fast descents and sprints.

5. Intervals
This is like a cycling time trial where we look to cover the most amount of distance in the shortest time. The road is flat and you’ll be making short attacks out of the saddle and then finding race pace in the saddle.

6. Free Spin
Imagine a fl at open road where you ride at your top pace with light resistance.

7. Mountain Climb
The last working track. The road starts easy and then becomes steeper as we climb to achieve our individual athletic potential.

8. Ride Home
Finish the journey and ride home together. Recovery is the name of the game.

9. Stretch
A final stretch to complete the workout and assist recovery.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:07 pm

good to hear you're up again :)

you should get payed by lesmills ;)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Rochellita » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:11 pm

fredrikw wrote:you should get payed by lesmills ;)

Well, my gym has just been bought by godamned Richard Branson and will soon be a Virgin brand gym. This probably means that they will most likely wipe out all the Body bla bla classes and replace them with their extremely crap own brand classes like VCycle, VBox etc. So I am making the most of these classes while they are on. I fucking hate Virgin, and I'm going to hate paying membership to them. Thing is IMO there is no gym with better facilities in Manchester.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:31 pm

ouch, that's bad news... isn't there another les mills gym nearby?
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby littlegirlbunny » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:38 pm

Oh thats a bitch :(

Have you thought about GL14? Not been there meself, but Malcolmsbilly bought a bit of literature home. Seemed ok....

Course, there is always sugden ;-) (come train on Sundays! it would be great :D)
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby Rochellita » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 am

littlegirlbunny wrote:Oh thats a bitch :( Have you thought about GL14? Not been there meself, but Malcolmsbilly bought a bit of literature home. Seemed ok....

GL14 is a bit too small, intimate and lacking in facilities for my taste. I spend a lot of time in my gym, so I'm quite picky :roll:
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:27 pm

sorry to hear about your gym :( but glad to hear you making a comeback :D good luck
Fruitbat

Postby littlegirlbunny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:52 pm

GL14 is a bit too small, intimate and lacking in facilities for my taste. I spend a lot of time in my gym, so I'm quite picky

And i guess there isn't very much nationwide which could compare to the one you are at now, nevermind in manchester!

Its a real shame about the virgin thing :x - have you experienced their classes before? How come they are so bad? Will the same instructors stay despite the takeover?
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby Rochellita » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:22 am

littlegirlbunny wrote:
GL14 is a bit too small, intimate and lacking in facilities for my taste. I spend a lot of time in my gym, so I'm quite picky

And i guess there isn't very much nationwide which could compare to the one you are at now, nevermind in manchester!

Its a real shame about the virgin thing :x - have you experienced their classes before? How come they are so bad? Will the same instructors stay despite the takeover?

yeah, my gym is pretty posh I guess and I'm spoiled :wink:

I spent a few unhappy months as a Virgin gym member here in the UK, and probably a month or so in the Virgin gym in my hometown a few years back (Virgin seem to have the market monopoly in South Africa). The UK gym was awful, but the SA one was fantastic though if I compare their own brand classes they are vastly inferior.

I imagine that the staff at my gym are pretty anxious about the changes. I know the freelance instructors are anxious- most of the freelancers teach the BTS (les Mills) classes but are being kept in the dark. One of them expects that Virgin will offer a lower rate of pay if they do keep the BTS classes.

Wednesday 6 October

BodyPump

56 mins/ max 217 (I think my HR freaked out, I doubt that was an accurate reading) avg 123/ 416 cals
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Oh that's a bugger! I'm seriously considering changing to GL14 what with my all time fav mad-as-a-bucket-of-frogs BC instructor having given up most of her classes at my current gym in favour for teaching more at GL. :( I do agree that the weight lifting area there doesn't amount to much, and that the pool is more for chilling than any halfway serious exercise, but still... I'm contemplating using the notorious Sugden for when I want to do some serious weights (well, as serious as mine are ever gonna be that is! :roll: :oops: :? ), and use their silly weights for the disco stuff (still no squat cage btw, they still have a smith machine :roll: ) and GL for the cardio stuff. I could never ever pay Virgin a penny ever again - if it was Virgin or no gym at all I know what I'd rather do! :evil: :evil:
Malcolms Billy

Postby Fruitbat » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:41 pm

if u train with sugden billy you wont be playing with wot you perceive as little weights, for long :lol:
Fruitbat

Postby Rochellita » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Thursday and Friday- off

Saturday 7 October

Body Combat- woohoo, wasted after putting 100% in!

65 mins/ max HR 176; avg 135/ zones: 25 light; 21 hard; 18 moderate
618 cals

Sunday 8 October

Fuelled myself well for the two classes today, I've made the mistake in the past couple of weeks of not taking any isotonic drinks in with me and I crash after the first class and often don't make the second. This time I was fine.

BodyPump New release, much tougher than previous ones I think, but I can definitely increase my bench for sure by the end of this release, I'll need to work hard to make increases in teh other weights because the intensity has increased.

61 mins/ max HR 163 avg 118/ zones: 39 light, 6 hard, 10 moderate/ 435 cals

Body Attack Heavy on the legs this release, lots of plyometrics, great fun though!

(incl power walk home) 74 mins/ max 178; 138 avg/ zones: 40 light, 10 hard, 23 moderate/ 734 cals

One thing I noticed today is that tricep push-ups are getting easier, I never thought they would. My triceps are really weak in general.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:42 pm

good weekend :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Rochellita » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:37 am

Monday 9 October
Attempted to go to the gym, but JP and I spent a rare evening at home at the same time, normally one or both of us seems to be out and about.

Tuesday 10 October

Body Attack
Teacher decided to do take out the press-up track which normally gives us a little break...

42 mins/ max HR 175; avg 136/ zones: 23 light, 5 hard, 14 moderate/ 413 cals

RPM 51 mins/ max HR 165 avg 131z/ zones: 23 light, 13 hard, 14 moderate/ 461 cals
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Rochellita » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Wednesday 11 October

Body Balance
60 mins

Only good thing about this was the great Nina Simone track, otherwise the teacher was uninspired and tired, and her Body pump class which I did afterwards was equally lacklustre. It must be tough having to teach when you are so obviously exhausted, but as these instructors are often freelancers they don't miss classes unless they can barely walk or talk , n my experience.

Bodypump about 55 mins, forgot HRM in my rush to get out the door.

Only good thing about this was the bizarre dance version of Midnight Oil's 'Beds Are Burning' to do squats to. I'd forgotten that that is a great little song.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Next

Return to Training Logs