Back in the game!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Malcolms Billy » Tue May 02, 2006 7:54 pm

You thought BC was hard? Try boxing at my gym! I'm not knackered, I'm battered!!! :shock: :shock:
This class is SO hardcore, I always go in with a mixed feeling of total excitement and utter dread/despair. Just to give you an idea: we started off with a warm up that included push ups, sit ups and squat thrusts, then did some warming up boxing (i.e that is one person holding the pads and the other one punching, apparently in this country you're not allowed to 'proper' spar without head gear, strange :? ). A couple more rounds techniques, obviously alternating between your partner and yourself (holding the pads is a workout in itself!), then a what I'd call a 'superset of 100x jab/X, 100xupper cut and 100xhooks, X 2!!!!! So 600 punches in total then swap and hold pads for your training partner.
After that, a mini version of circuits, you'd have loved this LGB! Between your partner and yourself you have a step (bench) and a mat. On the bench you'd do respectively step ups, bench jumps and, next to it, star jumps each, while the other person does sit ups continuously on the mat, until it's time to swap. So you basically do (about) 2 minutes step ups, 2 minutes sit ups, 2 minutes bench jumps etc.
I was floored!!!

Managed to drag myself to the sauna and steam room to slowly kind of recover, then had to cycle home (I've got a bike again! :D), walk dogs and cook dinner. Now I'm rooted here in front of pute and will only move to go to bed! :wink:
Malcolms Billy

Postby Fruitbat » Tue May 02, 2006 8:49 pm

flip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that sounds awesome but nackering! i like the circuit bit! i think that was a sauna and steam very very very well deserved!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fruitbat

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed May 03, 2006 6:26 am

bronco wrote:
Malcolms Billy wrote:I wanna increase strength and enjoy working my upper body - back, shoulders, chest - a LOT more than my legs. Like DL's, love benching, mil press and rows, can do chins, lat pd's, don't particularly like lat raises. Like tri pd's and curls (oops!) and doing abs.

Hmm, how does this three split look:

day 1, legs & abs :
Legpress
Stiff legged deadlifts
Abs

day 2, push:
Bench
Military press
skullcrushers (or some toher triceps exercise if you prefer)

day 3, pull:
Deadlift
Barbell rows
Back extension
(and some biceps if you like ;) )

Then do either 5x5 or 3x5 on each exercise, depending on if you feel doing five sets take too much time. Try keep a linear progression on the weight of the first exercise for each day, this means adding 2.5 kg each week. In order to keep this progression for several week, you will have to start with a weight at least 5 kg lighter than what you could do 5x5 on if you pushed yourself. When the weight gets to heavy to do 5x5 you can either go down to 5x3 and continue the progresion or lower the weights by 5kg next week and start again.
For the other exercises I would just use a weight that you can do 5x5 on, and when you feel ready for it use more weight.

Does all this make any sense? I guess not, so feel free to ask for clairifications :D .

Nope, is all perfectly crystal, thanks! :)

bronco wrote:No? I thought you would have aquired a certain speedy elegance from all those bodycombat classes :D ?

No, I'm a lost case when it comes to that, LOL :lol:
Malcolms Billy

Postby littlegirlbunny » Wed May 03, 2006 7:08 am

you'd have loved this LGB!

Damn right - that looks like my idea of fun for sure :D :D

Next time i'm in manc on a tuesday....................??
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu May 04, 2006 7:29 pm

Okay, bronco, how's this then? :)

Warm up: 5 mins on Xtrainer (no need to comment on that one :wink:)

Leg press: 3x5 @ 45/55/65kgs - the leg press starts at 5 kgs, and has 10 kgs pltes increments, so I thought I'd go one set one plate lower than I normally would have, one the "normal" weight (at 3x8 that would of been) and then the next one up for the last set. 65 was pretty hard, but I reckon I can up that within a couple of weeks, so shall I just keep on trying to up the weights whenever I can - rather than aim for increasing weight every week - seeing as it doesn't have smaller increments, or small loose plates to put on top?
DL: 3x5 @ 47.5/50/52.5 kgs (note that last weight DL'd was 50 kgs!). Felt proper heavy, but doable with good form, so I'm happy with that :)
Abs: 2x without breaks: 20 sit ups on fitball/20 reverse curls/1 minute ( yep that's 1 minute!! :)) plank. Second plank was hard at the end, but I can see myself upping that time pretty soon too. Or do more sit ups/curls, any otehr suggestions? I'm not gonna make an idiot of myself by trying little bigs in the gym just yet, not as long as I keep rolling over! :oops:

After all that body combat!!!!! :D :D :D I love this class, really missed it this week! :D
Malcolms Billy

Postby bronco » Thu May 04, 2006 7:55 pm

Malcolms Billy wrote:Okay, bronco, how's this then? :)

Well looks ok but not exaclty what I had in mind: My idea was that you use the same weight for all three sets, and increase the weight each week.

Leg press: 3x5 @ 45/55/65kgs - the leg press starts at 5 kgs, and has 10 kgs pltes increments, so I thought I'd go one set one plate lower than I normally would have, one the "normal" weight (at 3x8 that would of been) and then the next one up for the last set. 65 was pretty hard, but I reckon I can up that within a couple of weeks, so shall I just keep on trying to up the weights whenever I can - rather than aim for increasing weight every week - seeing as it doesn't have smaller increments, or small loose plates to put on top?

Well, if you can make small increments thats good. If not, increase when you feel you can make it would be fine as well. This is not an exact science you know ;) .

DL: 3x5 @ 47.5/50/52.5 kgs (note that last weight DL'd was 50 kgs!). Felt proper heavy, but doable with good form, so I'm happy with that :)

Well, if it was proper heavy it might have been a bit too much for the first week, since you want to be able to increas the weights steadily for some weeks, so first week should be reasonably easy. By the way that was supposed to be stiff legged deadlifts, I think those would be more suitable cause they hit the hamstrings more. Regular deadlifts are on the backday :) .

Or do more sit ups/curls, any otehr suggestions? I'm not gonna make an idiot of myself by trying little bigs in the gym just yet, not as long as I keep rolling over! :oops:

I like weighted legraises :). Hanging legraises. Cable crunches. Also, I guess you could vary hte planks to make them harder. Not sure how you do them and not an expert on planks, but stuff like keeping one arm or one leg or both in the air makes them harder I believe.
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu May 04, 2006 8:00 pm

Ah, okay, so it wasn't as crystal as I thought then :oops: :oops: :oops: Oh well, now at least I have an idea what I can aim for! :wink: Cheers mate! :D
Malcolms Billy

Postby Fruitbat » Thu May 04, 2006 9:44 pm

good workout Billy - you nackered now? let us know about any DOMS :wink:
Fruitbat

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu May 04, 2006 10:05 pm

Fruitbat wrote:good workout Billy - you nackered now? let us know about any DOMS :wink:

well knackered, but hardly ever have any DOMS! ;)
Malcolms Billy

Postby Jonathan » Thu May 04, 2006 10:09 pm

Great to see you doing leg training Billy :D I think with deadlifting and leg pressing you will build a fine strength base :D

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby Malcolms Billy » Thu May 04, 2006 10:23 pm

Well my, thank you Jonathan! :wink:
Malcolms Billy

Postby littlegirlbunny » Fri May 05, 2006 7:34 am

Congrats on the planks! :D Nice one :D

Next time we meet up it should be around a plank 'no-holds-barred-max-time-PB test......you up for it :wink: :lol:

And congrats on the deadlifting :D
"life with littlegirlbunny is never dull"
littlegirlbunny

Postby buzz » Fri May 05, 2006 8:33 am

Good lifting MB! How did you find the sets of 5 in comparison to the sets of 8's??
buzz

Postby Malcolms Billy » Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 pm

littlegirlbunny wrote:Next time we meet up it should be around a plank 'no-holds-barred-max-time-PB test......you up for it :wink: :lol:

You're on! :D

Good lifting MB! How did you find the sets of 5 in comparison to the sets of 8's??

Loads better! :D

Didn't any gym training today as I skived off work and took The Family for a day out in Hebden Bridge. We've been there quite a lot lately, because it's nice for me and great for the dogs as they can go off lead most of the time.

Kiera posing by an old bridge:

Malcolm with the biggest smile I've ever been able to capture on camera :D

Having a drink:

Mal mooching by the river:

And Kiera having a splash:

Edited to add a couple more that I forgot! :)

Kiera on a mission in Indiana Jones like surroundings:

And Malcolm playing Captain Caveman (for those who remember the cartoon!) :)

Last edited by Malcolms Billy on Sat May 06, 2006 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Malcolms Billy

Postby albin » Fri May 05, 2006 9:52 pm

Great pictures. Malcolm and Kiera seem like really nice dogs. It is a shame that they can't make it to the Edinburgh meet-up.
albin

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs