[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - Becoming a Broccoli Beast

Becoming a Broccoli Beast

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Becoming a Broccoli Beast

Postby athlegan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:56 pm

[quote="Lordmuppet"]My strict press really benefited from doing 1kg jump instead of 2.5kg. Why not buy your own fractionals and take them with you to the gym :) I used to do that.

I've had others tell me the same. Going to talk to the owner first though and see if he can't get us some. Else I won't mind being the weirdo with his own weights. :)
athlegan
Site Admin

Postby athlegan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Last week I hit 132.5 kg for the squat. Failed first session (5, 3, 3 reps) but managed it on Wednesday. Just barely though – it's not pretty at this weight.

I reset my presses to 50 kg, which I of course managed well, and moved up to 52.5 kg. Still good but they feel like they're progressing very slowly compared to all other exercises.

Bench up to 80 kg but I only managed the first set, after which I dropped to 3, and then 2 reps. Yesterday I failed at 80 kg again and more severely so than last week. I'm eating a lot today, having a long snooze and then we'll see if I can do better tomorrow or if it's time to reset.

Power cleans and bench are both coming along nicely, surprisingly. I'd expected them to stall but maybe their respective last reset did the trick – up to 90 kg and 150 kg respectively now!

Having a bit of a drop in motivation lately. Everything else seems like so much more fun – kettlebell training, bodyweight exercises, gymnastics, CrossFit metcons, olympic weightlifting, etc, etc. But I'm going to keep grinding and see where it takes me.
athlegan
Site Admin

Postby athlegan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:56 pm

I had to reset the squat, back down to 122.5 kg (previous 1RM being 121 kg!) and it feels very easy now. Going to take this opportunity to practice technique.

Bench also reset, after failing to get all reps at 80 kg. Down to 70 kg and it's very easy now too. I'm having some trouble finding people to spot me on the bench though, as I like to train in the middle of the day when my CrossFit box is pretty much empty. So while I do like the exercise I'm going to look for alternatives.

Deadlifts are coming on very nicely! 155 kg went up with no problem on Monday and even though I only got three reps at 157.5 kg on Friday that was a pretty bad day with shitty sleep and eating.

I managed all reps of cleans at 87.5 kg. Previous failure has been at 90 kg, so it'll be interesting to see if I can break through that this time.

Presses though. They're my bane and my strength is coming on sooo slow in them. This is the third time I'm up at 55 kg and only now do I think I have an actual chance to move on to 57.5 kg (no micro plates). We'll see next week.

No videos this time around but some graphs! :)

Squat:

Press:

Deadlift:

athlegan
Site Admin

Postby athlegan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:42 am

All lifts except the deadlift have been reset and even it has stalled twice now at 157.5 kg, so when I likely fail it on Wednesday I'll reset that too. Previous 1RM is 160 kg though, so there' some good gains so far.

FYI, since I do Starting Strength most lifts are three sets of five reps, except deadlift (1x5) and power clean (5x3).

I finally broke through my plateau with the presses! I've reset twice at 55 kg before but last week I hit 57.5 kg. So nice to see progress there.

Power cleans are back up at 90 kg (last reset) and I almost managed all reps last week. Pretty sure I'll nail it this week so I can progress and break through this number.

Squats are almost back up at my last reset (135 kg) and they are feeling lighter this time around. The goal of hitting three plates might be within grasping range!

Finally, the bench. I love the exercise but I train when there's almost no people around and we have no power rack/safety bar, so it's hard to really push the limits.

All in all: I can definitely feel my progress slowing down after some resets. Might be that I don't have much more to gain from this program? Also, I'm getting quite bored, having done the same routine for 13 weeks now. Buuut I'll keep at it until it's evident I'm not getting much more out of SS LP.
athlegan
Site Admin

Postby silver » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:08 pm

good progress :)
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby athlegan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:55 pm

[quote="silver"]good progress :)

Thanks! We'll see how much further I can take it with this program.
athlegan
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Training Logs