new years resolution

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

new years resolution

Postby pinto » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi I am a unfit middle age female vegan with a new years resolution of getting fit. I currently weigh 75kg which is overweight for me, I would like to drop 5-10kg and get up to a great standard of fitness for tramping and mountain biking - at the moment I do a bit of both but puff and rest heaps.

I hope by starting this log I will stick with my resolution :)
So at the moment my aim is to go for a run every morning at 6.30am while my partner is having breakfast and before the kids are up and need their breakfast and the whole getting ready for school and work starts... School doesn't start back till next week though, so that will be the test for how it will work.

So far four days in a row keeping to my new resolution! 30min run then walks in the park across the road doing laps and going up and down hill. Shocked by how unfit I am, maybe I could fit in a short run in the evening as well :idea: But I need a routine I can stick with, hmmm
pinto

Re: new years resolution

Postby JP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 am

good stuff, all the best for it.

LETS GO!
JP
Site Admin

Postby pinto » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:26 am

Thanks JP I'm persevering, I've only skipped one day so far because of a very late night the night before. Amazing I have already noticed a small increase in my fitness, exciting. My runs are more run than walk now.
pinto

Postby hakko » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:06 am

That's great! I would just like to be a bit boring and mention something that you might already be very much aware of: joints etc build up much slower than stamina. Because of that, it's pretty common to perceive the progression going on, and start adding an ever higher pace or longer sessions, which the body in fact isn't ready for - showing off as an injured knee a week later for example.

I wish you all the best with your training, but be a little careful with increasing volume quickly even if everything feels great! Building up slowly is better in the long run. But it's also a matter of what you've done in the past, of course. I'm just a little worried because so many people end up with pain or an injury after being over-enthusiastic.

Training breaks down your body, rest is when you give it a chance to recover and get stronger.
hakko

Postby pinto » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:35 am

hiya, hey thanks heaps for the advice, it's much appreciated as I have never done this before so a total newbie :) I'll take it a little slower then. I do feel it a little in my knees on the steep hill I go up. Just keen to get fit now, it's fun.
pinto

Postby hakko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm glad you like it as much as I do :) But yes, the impact of landing puts a lot of stress on your knees and feet, and it takes time to build up strength to handle that. It takes longer for grown-ups than for kids, and the impact is even harder in case you happen to carry some extra weight. So just be careful and alternate walking (where the impact isn't as hard) and running while your body adapts.

Also pay attention to running technique, a good rule of thumb is to shorten the stride, as it puts much less stress on your body than speed-walking with long steps. Ideally, you want your foot to land just below your body, not in front of yourself.

Have fun, listen to your body and enjoy your new fit life!
hakko

Postby pinto » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:38 pm

Cheers I'll pay attention to those things, thanks again
pinto

Postby kallefs » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:42 pm

If you can run for half an hour I would say that you're in pretty ok shape!

Hakko is right with mentioning the possibilities of injury. If you can I would suggest taking a day of your running and doing strength training for runners. There are a lot of stuff if you just do a search for it. Might I also suggest maybe switching out running ang go for a swim or bike ride once a week?

Anyway, I'm glad that you are enjoying your new regime and looking forward to following your log.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby pinto » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks! I'm not running solidly for 30min yet still a bit of walking involved but less of it. Yeah and cheers advice is much appreciated!
I'm going mountain biking with my family tomorrow, that's one of the reasons for getting fit there are so many cool multi day old rail trail rides and bush rides etc around my country I would really love to do. I do a bit of tramping too with a group of mates but would like to be able to do more and not be limited by lack of fitness.
Swimming is a good suggestion cheers. I finish work early one day a week so I might make that my swimming day!
Thanks for the support guys!
pinto

Postby pinto » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:33 am

Went for a cool bike ride around the bays today wasn't as hard as I was I expecting I might make that a weekly ride, early in the morning though to dodge those cars.
Been googling strength exercises too for doing in the evening - especially ones for knees. Wish I'd started this years ago!
pinto

Postby pinto » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:58 am

Quiet week last week as a very dear animal friend of mine passed away so I didn't feel like doing anything most of the week. Did some youtube exercise stuff on weekend and I went for a swim. Raining this morning so I went for a run in the evening instead and did a few knee exercises when I got back.
pinto

Return to Training Logs