My JND Running Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

My JND Running Log

Postby jamesndawson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 am

At the encouragement of a member here I've decided to go ahead and start a training log. I hope I'm doing this right. If not, let me know. I suppose I'll aim to report about once a week.
Okay, so I started running Tuesday, Feb. 6. For now, it's a 2 mile loop. I ran-walked, I guesstimate 35-65, 50-50. Had some soreness, mostly in the quads, the first 2 or 3 days, Wed., Thurs., Fri. But that's pretty much gone now. At the advice of a few runners here, I'm only stretching post-run, 4 stretches. I'm skipping the neck part of that program, because I tend to stretch that part spontaneously throughout the day.
Today, Sunday, I think my run-walk ratio went up noticeably, but of course, no exact measurements, and I think there was a bit more spring to my stride. Of course, having done this before, I expected this.
My run schedule will be 4 days a week, Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sun, resting on Tues, Thurs. & Sat. We'll see how that goes.
I guess I should get a stop watch to gauge my improvement.
My goal is to get in decent shape and maybe do a few fun runs.
Last edited by jamesndawson on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Running Log: First Post

Postby Prime » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 am

Well done. Keeping track of your runs is a great way to see improvement and motivates you to keep training. If you have a smartphone there are some great apps for recording run data. I use Strava Run.
Prime

Postby Calum » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Yeah, lots of good apps out there. Maybe look at a garmin or similar later too :)
Calum

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:10 pm

^Thanks everybody. I'm a luddite so I've never had a smartphone and only have the vaguest idea what an "app" is, so this old-fashioned computer will have to do :) .
For the week of Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sun. Feb. 11, 13, 15 & 17. Still running the 2-mile loop. Other than running, I don't remember much about Mon. & Wed. Did see a significant improvement Fri., going much further before my first rest. Rests down to 1 or 2. Today, Sun., much the same, though maybe added a rest. No big deal. I'm running about 2 hours after eating, and I seem to feel a little stuffed still while running, so maybe I ought to wait another hour or 2.
James
jamesndawson

Postby hakko » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 am

I sometimes run before having breakfast, it works out well for me if I'm out for say less than an hour. Good luck with your program!
hakko

Postby jamesndawson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 am

^Thanks hakko. I just added another hour for digestion. Running before breakfast would be a little too aescetic for me.
Monday, Feb. 18. A bit sluggish. Regressed a little, but not too much. Wed., Feb. 20. I ran the whole 2 miles without a rest! Didn't think I was going to do it as I started out. Thought it'd be another sluggish day. Much of it's mental. Yes, legs were tired, but not terribly painful or anything. It helps to have interesting internal conversations to distract from the discomfort, and just the boredom. So, I'm optimistic for further improvement.
James
jamesndawson

Postby kallefs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 pm

Further improvement with the internal conversations? :D
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Re: My JND Running Log

Postby DC Runner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

I just want to jump in regarding the eating situation. I find I run best on an empty stomach - I feel lighter and I don't have an stomach issues or cramps. If I'm doing a longer run (longer than 90 minutes), I'll eat a clif bar 30 minutes beforehand.

Nice job on keeping at it and finding what works for you. I find it's also helpful to come up with a mantra and repeat it to yourself over and over. Really, anything to prevent the negative thoughts from creeping in.
DC Runner

Postby jamesndawson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks DC. Yes, I think an empty stomach is best to run on. The problem is finding the right balance between empty and too empty. I'll just keep experimenting.

Fri., Feb. 22. Regressed a little since last Wed. Two rests. Sun., Feb. 24. This time 3 to 4 rests. I think I'm running a little faster though between. I guess my excuse again is running too soon after eating, about 1 1/2 hour. I have some things I need to do and I wanted to get my running "out of the way", though maybe that's not the right attitude to have. But I'm not that concerned. Progress will come when it will.
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Monday, Feb. 25. Really, really sluggish. 3 to 4 rests, if not 5. Wed. Feb. 27. Much, much more energy today. I don't know where it comes from or goes to. Went the whole 2 miles without a rest at a noticably brisker pace. If I can do that twice more in a row, I'll add a block. I'm thinking of adding one more rest day, Saturday, so it'd be Mon/Wed/Fri run, Sat./Sun rest. We'll see if I can make progress this way. Running every other day would get me out of sync, as with my mind, I know I'd forget which day was which. I'm also increasing my msm-glucosamin supplements (vegan of course) from 2 caps/4 grams to 4 caps/8 grams a day. I'll definitely need it with the extra stress on my joints.
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:00 am

Fri., March 1. Rested a few times.
Took the weekend off, as planned.
Mon., March 4. Ran the whole 2 miles. Saturday noticed I'd developed a "sprain" in the left ankle. Discomfort lessened over time, though I still have it. Hurts most when going downstairs, but more annoying that painful. Hope I can keep up with my regimen in spite of it. I wouldn't want to fall back on my stamina.
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:06 am

Wed. Mar. 6. I thought I might be able to run with my slightly stiff left ankle, but when I tried, it was feeling just a bit too uncomfortable, so I thought it best to cut it short. Not even a mile that day. I was also feeling a little sluggish.
Fri. Mar. 8. This ankle problem is pretty persistent though it's just a bit better today. I ran the 2 miles, with about 2 or 3 rests, my first at about the 1.5 mark. In addition to my ankle, my right knee cap was getting a little sore too. Where is that vegan chondroitin when you need?
What I need to do I guess is peruse the injury prevention forum and get some ideas. I really want to keep this up and improve my stamina, but I'm also concerned about permanently damaging a joint or two.
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:19 am

Mon., Mar. 11
I was feeling so malaisish today I almost skipped it, but after taking some aspirin & a short nap I felt so much better I decided I didn't have a good excuse to. (I suspect the malaise may've been partly due to caffiene withdrawal. I ran out of my usual coffee, and what I've been drinking has been sort of low-grade.)
Anyway, I ran better than I thought I would today, though I did take 3 rests. The last one was pretty much due my usual right knee strain. My left ankle's better, but still not totally healed.
James
jamesndawson

Postby jamesndawson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Wed. Mar. 13. Actually, I can't remember how it went.
Fri. Mar. 15. Made it to the 1.5 mile mark before the 1st rest. Two more rests the remaining distance, but seemed to have more spring & speed between.
Mon. Mar. 18. Made it the 1.5 again, but it was a bit of a push to get there. 3 or 4 rests to the end, and the pace was a bit more labored than Friday. I feel I'm at an impasse, not progressing. The ankle and the knee discomfort are a significant part of it. Is the 2-day rest on Sat. & Sun. too much?
I'm thinking of extending my distance a little, but being easy on myself with resting. I used to do this when I was running a long time ago and ran/walked amazing distances. But I was in my 20's and the joint discomfort was hardly an issue, if any.
If I can just make a decent showing in a 5K, I'll be happy, but it still needs work.
James
jamesndawson

Postby kallefs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:13 pm

I would say that a two day rest is good and not too much, maybe even take some extra days if the pain persists. Are you sure that you are not running to fast? Maybe run a bit slower will get you longer before you need to rest, might want to try it once.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Next

Return to Training Logs