ORLYLOL tries to gain

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

ORLYLOL tries to gain

Postby ORLYLOL » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi all! I'm a noob here and will do my best to keep an updated log here.

A bit of background first. I'm a skinny guy that has been trying to get strong and bulk at the same time. I've always been a bit underweight. I'm 6'1" (about 185cm) and weigh in at around 162lbs (73.5kg). At my lightest I was 143lbs (65kg) while being this height and was mostly skin and bones. Since then it's been slow progress gaining. I've been lifting for a couple of years now, but only seriously in the last year or so and I've only been really dedicated to gaining in the last couple of months.

Truthfully, my dedication to weight gain came when my wife and I were watching the new batman film and my wife turned to me and said, "if you could get that big, that would be awesome..." (speaking of Bane in the film). So my quest for bulk began! My typical day for food is:

Breakfast: Cereal with toast and peanut butter or tofurky slices
Pre-Workout Snack: Builder bar
Post-Workout: Shake (Chocolate Soy Milk w/ 2tbsp (30ml) of peanut butter and 1 scoop pea protein)
Lunch: Varies, usually dinner leftovers and sometimes a burrito (black beans, rice, guacomole salsa)
Afternoon snack: Peanut (or Almond) Butter and jelly sandwich + banana
Dinner: Varies, my wife is an amazing cook and does a great job with making hearty meals
After Dinner: Another shake as above (not every day usually)

Throughout the day I'll eat pumpkin seeds, peanuts, almonds or cashews as well. Dinner and lunch usually have a ton of vegetables so I'm getting whole foods in.

My current workout routine is a 5 day program with 4 days revolving around a main lift and then ancillary work:

Monday:
Deadlift - 3 cycles (3 sets per cycle of 3 reps) starting at 70% of 1RM and going up by 2.5% each set. Second cycle starts at 72.5% and works up then 3rd cycle starts at 75% ending at 80% of 1RM
Seated rows - 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Shrugs - 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Upright rows - 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Tuesday:
I recently changed up this day from a pure bench day
Incline Flies: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Incline Press: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Flat DB Press: 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Bent Over Pec Flies: 4 sets of 10-12 reps

Wednesday:
This is my least favorite day of the week because it's arms. And I think arm workouts are stupid for the most part but necessary for proportion.
Preacher curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Standing BB curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Standing DB curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Tricep push down: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
One arm Tricep pushdown: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Dips: 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Thursday:
Back Squats: 3 cycles as above
Front Squats: 3 cycles as above
OH Squat: 3 cycles as above (though I'm still learning these so I don't add much weight)
Walking lunges with DBs: 3 sets of 12 steps

Friday:
OH Press: 3 cycles as above
Seated DB Shoulder Press: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Front Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Side Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Shrugs: 4 sets of 6-8 reps

I have a friend who is working on some programming for me so the routine might change soon. My current 1RM totals are:

Deadlift: 325lbs (147kg)
Squat: approx 250lbs (113kg)
Bench Press: 170lbs (77kg)
OH Press: 125lbs (57kg)

Hopefully my future posts will be shorter. Criticisms and/or suggestions are always welcome!
"There is much that is difficult for the spirit, the strong, reverent spirit that would bear much: but the difficult and the most difficult are what its strength demands." - Nietzsche

"In all seriousness a beard will add 100 lbs. to your total instantly." - Brandon Lilly

http://veganforklift.blogspot.com/
ORLYLOL

Re: ORLYLOL tries to gain

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Seriously this all looks spot on. Stick at it and let's see the gains!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby sergio » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:03 am

Good luck with your training. Gains will come!
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby ORLYLOL » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks for the input.

Today was squat day and I decided it was time to retest since it's been awhile. Managed to put up 265lbs (120kg), so I was pretty stoked on that! Had to rush through the rest of my workout so it went like this

Front Squat - 3x6 at 135lbs
OH Squat - 3x6 at 65lbs
Walking lunges - 3x12 50lb DB in each hand
"There is much that is difficult for the spirit, the strong, reverent spirit that would bear much: but the difficult and the most difficult are what its strength demands." - Nietzsche

"In all seriousness a beard will add 100 lbs. to your total instantly." - Brandon Lilly

ORLYLOL

Postby xJimx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:18 pm

If it works itworks, but personally given the numbers you're shifting I think you'd be better off with a more basic routine focusing on the main compounds lifts. Nothing wrong with throwing in a little isolation work at the end of workouts should you wish, but things like an arms day & a shoulder day are really geared towards advanced bodybuilders.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby ORLYLOL » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:41 pm

[quote="xJimx"]If it works itworks, but personally given the numbers you're shifting I think you'd be better off with a more basic routine focusing on the main compounds lifts. Nothing wrong with throwing in a little isolation work at the end of workouts should you wish, but things like an arms day & a shoulder day are really geared towards advanced bodybuilders.

I agree on the arms day, but I've noticed a difference in my back development vs. arms which bothers me. I would much rather never do an arms workout. As for shoulders, that day is mostly about the OH press which I find to be a sufficient compound lift. Other stuff is mostly as time permits. Some stuff has been added to accomodate plateaus I've hit as well.

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 pm

I should be getting new programming on Monday, so I'm interested to see what my friend comes up with. I trust him when it comes to this stuff as he was a Decathlete through college and has a lot of experience with lifting as well. Today was shoulders/upper back

OH Press (in lbs)
Cycle 1 - 75x3, 80x3, 85x3
Cycle 2 - 80x3, 85x3, 90x3
Cycle 3 - 85x3, 90x3, 95x3
Had to push press the last rep of the 3rd cycle so that was disappointing.

Seated Shoulder press with DB
35x6 (Caught myself arching my back so lightened the weight)
30x8x3

Front Raises
20x8x4

Side Raises
15x8x3

Shrugs (My grip strength is what I lack on these as I could do more weight)
185x6
205x6x3

Upright rows
80x6x4

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 pm

New week, new program! I should note that I've been doing the program in the first post for a long time so it's not like I'm jumping ship all of a sudden...

Active warm-up
Walking lunges
Mantis walks
Heel walks
Side Lunges

Deadlift (in lbs)
135 x 12
195 x 8
210 x 6
225 x 5 x 3

Rack Pulls
240 x 8 x 3

Power High Pulls
45 x 12
75 x 8
95 x 8

Wide-Grip Pull-Ups
BW x 9
BW x 5
BW x 4

Pretty disappointed on the pull-ups, but hopefully that will improve.

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Chest day

Active warm-up
Walking lunges
Mantis walks
Heel walks
Side Lunges

Plyometric Push-Ups
4 sets of 12

Flat BB bench
95 x 12
95 x 8
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5

Incline DB Press
35 x 12
35 x 10
35 x 8

Pec Fly Machine
80 x 15
80 x 12
80 x 9
80 x 6

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Didn't lift yesterday because I had a job interview that took up my whole afternoon and I had a to cram all my work into the morning.

Today was a conditioning day so I did Muay Thai for about 45 mins and then core work and stretching for 15. Tomorrow: Squats!

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Ugh, wrote a long post and it had logged me out...

FRIDAY

Back Squat
135 x 15
160 x 8 x 2
185 x 6 x 3

Back Loaded Lunge
80 x 12 steps x 3

Broad Jumps
BW x 5 x 3

Single Leg Squats
BW x 10 x 3 (each leg)

MONDAY

Deadlift
135 x 12
200 x 8
215 x 6
235 x 5 x 3

Rack Pulls
250 x 3 x 8

Power High Pullsp
75 x 12
95 x 8
105 x 8

Wide Grip Pull-Ups
BW x 9
BW x 6
BW x 4

These were to failure

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Today was conditioning day so lots of muay thai followed by 2 rounds of core circuit:

Plank
Side Plank (each side)
Hanging Leg Raises
GHD situps

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Chest day

Explosive Push-Ups
BW x 12 x 3

Bench Press
95 x 12
110 x 8
130 x 5 x 4

Incline Pec Fly
30 x 12
35 x 8
35 x 6

Pec Fly Machine
90 x 15
90 x 12
90 x 9
90 x 6

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Squat day!

Back Squats
135 x 12
165 x 8 x 2
195 x 6 x 4

Back Loaded Walking Lunges
90 x 12 steps x 3

Broad Jumps
BW x 10 Jumps x 3

One Legged Squats
10 lb db in each hand x 10 x 3 (that's 10 reps on each leg)

Legs felt like jelly afterwards, but I feel like I could have done more on the actual squat part.

ORLYLOL

Postby ORLYLOL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Deadlift
WU @ 135 x 12
210 x 8
230 x 6
245 x 5 x 3

Rack Pulls
265 x 8 x 3

Power High Pulls
85 x 12
105 x 8 x 2

Wide Grip Pull-Ups

Gave myself a huge blood blister on my palm during rack pulls then popped it on pull-ups

ORLYLOL

Next

Return to Training Logs