Building up to Tough Mudder!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Building up to Sparring!

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks! Yes i need to practice more shadow boxing and to work on my defence. need to move my legs more too! Do you have a fight coming up?
NatB

Postby hoffmeister » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:20 am

NatB wrote:Thanks! Yes i need to practice more shadow boxing and to work on my defence. need to move my legs more too! Do you have a fight coming up?
I heard (there are a lot of storys in boxing) that the cubans only train footwork the first year :)

I don't know when my next fight is, I'll probably get to know like two days before. That's how it seems to work here...
this is Sparta
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:40 am

My foot work needs work! Good luck let me know :)
NatB

Postby NatB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:34 pm

S&C class today but really wasnt feeling it

Usual half hour warm up with a twist. Jon integrated pyramid push ups and burpees. So 1 push up 1 burpee 2 push ups 2 burpees etc to ten

Then did 4 minute sets of:

10 clean and press with 15kg power bag, sprint with bag, 10 burpees, sprint with bag repeat

10 shoulder presses with power bag, sprints, 15 squat thrusts to middle left and right

5 clean press burpee, 5 clean and press, 5 press, sprint, 15 burpees

Finished with 5 miuntes continuous abs

Everyone said it was harder than usual but still wasn't performing 100%, turns out am coming down with a cold. Poo :(
NatB

Postby NatB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:45 am

Stinking cold this week so unable to train. Which is frustrating with Easter coming up and reduced gym access.

We had a leaving do for our gym manager this week and two of the staff guys, neither of whom had previously had fights, fought a boxing match as a tribute. It was 3x2 minute rounds.

Am use to watching pro and semi pro guys fight so was good to see two newbies as its easier to pick up their mistakes and store them away mentally. What came through the most was fitness. Riva came in hard with the big punches but was swinging too much and leaving himself open. He also gassed out too quickly as a result. In the last round he was so exhausted he kept dropping his guard leaving himself wide open.

Was amazed at both their abilites to take a punch (some big ones were thrown!) guess that the adrenaline screaming through your veins!

Made me realise Im on the right track with the fitness, just need to start taking on more boxing classes and just get out there!
NatB

Postby NatB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Average boxing session largely because I still have a cold. Was fine for warm up and shadow boxing but just couldnt focus for the combinations on the pads, brain didnt want to work. We did a very satisfying 5 x 3 minute rounds on the bags though which got some endorphines going after 3 days no training :)
NatB

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:23 pm

[quote="NatB"]Stinking cold this week so unable to train. Which is frustrating with Easter coming up and reduced gym access. /quote]

there are different views on whether or not to train with a cold. Myself I like to do a light session or two :)

There are those who think you are actually stronger (in max effort terms) when you have a cold!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby NatB » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree with you. Am at the tail end of it so its just lingering. Fitness was down a bit but i feel so much better now :)
NatB

Postby NatB » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:08 pm

So I did possibly a very silly thing yesterday and agreed to do the Toughest Mudder in UK in November with a mate. So now I have 2 training goals which I don't believe are mutually exclusive but need to try work out the best way to achieve both. Its 7 months away so not an unrealistic one. Biggest challenge will be the running with the old knee injury. Though working on strengthening my knee should also help with my boxing as its my legs that are letting me down anyway.
NatB

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Satisfying S&C class followed by gentle 2km run and 10km hill climb on stationery bike. Want to see how the knee reacts to running again and build up to longer distances.

Helped made less boring by the fact some of the pro MMA guys were doing drills in front of me in particular Jason Young who fights in UFC. Always good to watch elite sports people do what they do best!
NatB

Postby NatB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Pilates session followed by gentle 2.5km run (barefoot on treadmill - we do all training barefoot in our gym)

Leg was fine after yesterdays run think the foam rollering after is helping, though todays run was mainly to sweat out the Jager bombs, vodka shots, wine and beer from last nights excesses! Its a fine line juggling clubbing and training!
NatB

Postby NatB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:28 am

Awesome S&C class this morning. Ashley the coach is also our Osteo and helping me train for Tough Mudder so he slipped in lots of targeted workouts to help, reckon half the session was walking lunges! Jelly legs now!
NatB

Postby NatB » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Satisfying S&C Class (Jons Hell) this morning. Me and 13 sweaty blokes. Always great when you are cleaning and pressing bigger power bags than half they guys and they gas out before you :)

Followed it up with boxing class. Slightly frustrating as partnered with a guy who has also done the S&C class but was so gassed out his arms were shaking holding the pads. Newbies also hate holding them close to their face so you end up almost hooking on what should be straight punches and compromising form.

Stil was a good 2 hours workout and made me realise that Tough Mudder in 7 months should be easily achievable :)
NatB

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:02 am

Trained yesterday for first time in a week. S&C class followed by boxing. Really struggling with motivation and diet at the moment due to stress. Seem to be living off coffee, red wine and 2 meals a day. Need to get my focus back. :(
NatB

Postby NatB » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Gentle 3km run this time with trainers (on treadmill) want to see if it makes a difference with the ITB. Still have no appetite :(
NatB

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs