Building up to Tough Mudder!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: Nat starts here!

Postby NatB » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Better week. Did S&C class Tuesday Thursday Friday and Saturday mornings (had early meeting Wednesday). Today did yoga and 5km run. Cardio is improving massively just need to start doing evening fight classes to work on strength. Aiming for boxing tomorrow night.
NatB

Postby NatB » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:58 pm

So had a bit of a set back with the 5km run last weekend. Not a good idea with no ACL and worn cartiledge in one knee (result of an old injury, one good operation and one failed one!). I refuse to believe I am not invincible. My body let me know otherwise though, with an extremely painful ITB plaguing me for the rest of the week. Foam rollering and a trip to the Osteo helped somewhat. So its back to tried and tested, yoga last night conditioning today and will do pilates and conditioning tomorrow.
NatB

Postby NatB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Finally made it to boxing!

10mins skipping

10 mins warm up (star jumps, squats, burpees, push ups etc)

3 rounds shadow boxing with burpees and push-ups in between rounds

Hard session on the bags - several rounds of technical work/combinations then 3x 3 min rounds of hard punches

Pad work to end:

10 punches 10 push ups in 3 x 3min rounds

1 min straight punches + 1 min upper cuts repeat twice

fall in a sweaty heap on the floor and die :)

Even managed to back it up with a conditioning class the following morning!
NatB

Postby Rach » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Wow sounds like an intense session :)
Rach

Postby NatB » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:33 pm

hello! Yes was pretty tough! Find the conditioning has really helped with my boxing fitness and as we have been doing loads of legs like squats and burpees its helped put more power in my punches :)
NatB

Postby NatB » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Boxing again today. New trainer with a very different style. Was skeptical at first but really enjoyed the class.

Was a lot more technique focused. Usual skipping and warm up then some shadowboxing and footwork drills. Then did a number of drills in pairs one person practising various combinations while the other person blocked, slipped or ducked then countered.

Then proceeded to a number of rounds on the bags followed by sets of 15 of different push-ups (tricep push-ups, alternating arms on medicine ball etc) and abs to end.
NatB

Postby NatB » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:38 am

Conditioning Class with Tom or Functional Friday as he calls it. He's the only instructor I know to have taken a whole class lying down on the mat with his coffee in one hand an i phone in other but hes the best S&C coach there is!

10 min warmup of jogging around the mat interspersed with squats, push ups lunges etc

10 sprints

3x10 reps of walkout to plank and push up

3x10 squat jumps

Joint mobility exercises and stretching

300's which consisted of:

50 sprints

50 push-ups

50 weighted sumo squats

50 squat and press with dumbells

50 ab roll outs

50 tricep dips

To finish we did count downs so 10 crunches 1 burpee with a star jump, 9 crunches 2 burpees etc

stretches to cool down
NatB

Postby NatB » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Manage to back Jons Hell (conditioning) up with a boxing session. 2 hours solid workout no breaks.

Conditioning was usual half hour warm up - running, high knees, squats, lunges, burpees, stair climbers, star jumps, push-ups etc. non stop

Then 3 sets if 5 minute rounds a minute of each:

clean and press with 15kg power bag
alternating single arm presses with kettle bells
squat and press with medicine ball
clean and press with dumbells
jumps over the bench

finished with 5 minutes non stop abs

boxing was 15 minute warmup similar to above

3x3 minute rounds shadow boxing with 10 push ups and 10 burpees at the end of each

technical work on bags with various combinations repeated in 3 minute rounds

then pad work 4x1 minute round non stop punches with 30 sec break in between.

finished with 5 minutes of medicine ball presses and slams and 5 minutes abs

nearly had a sugar crash at the end. my gym annoyingly doesn't do vegan protein powders or soy milk. but they if you bring your own protein they will mix it in for you so had a fruit smoothie with pineapple juice, hemp protein, oats and mixed some of my own coconut water in. Was the bomb for a quick post workout fix!
NatB

Postby NatB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Training on hold this week as have moved in with my bestie to undertake god mum duties. Was hoping to squeeze in some squats and push-ups etc. but its just not been possible with the various demands of mum and baby. Seriously tempted to have a run around Clapham Common as the weather's glorious but think my ITB will hate me. Hoping to sneak off for boxing class Friday!
NatB

Postby NatB » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:34 am

Frustrating boxing session. Too many beginners in class (I know we all were once) and I got stuck with a couple of very excited but completely useless guys who didn't listen to any advice. I ended up just holding pads for them the whole time and let them practice. Then jumped on the bags to practice combinations. Still its nice to reinforce how far you have come when training with newbies! Didn't get enough of a workout so backed it up with a very intense kettlebells session.

Boxing again today at lunch and might try a bit of light sparring after! Not really sparred much so would be good to start taking it up a level!
NatB

Postby NatB » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:20 am

Friday

Lunchtime Express Circuit
10 minute warm up
1 minute each station circuit of:
• Clean and press with 15kg power bag
• Jumping over hurdles then burpees at each end
• Walking planks
• Kettle bell curls
• Squat and press with dumbells
• High Knee running on the mat
• Push ups on wobble board
• Jumping onto steps with burpees

Repeated twice
3 minute “rest” in between with 20 star jumps 10 squat jumps 10 burpees

Finished with pyramid squat jumps i.e. 1 to 10

Boxing Class straight after. Entire class was pad work in pairs.

Had sugar crash halfway through. Have the cardio fitness to smash a 2 hour session but get light headed, even if fed and hydrated prior. Any suggestions? Any liquid form of sugar you can take that won’t sit on your stomach and make you want to puke??
NatB

Building up to sparring!

Postby NatB » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:38 am

Saturday

Jons Hell:

Usual 30 min warm up of continous star jumps, squats, burpees, push ups, high knees, squat thrusts, etc

4 rounds of:

1 min clean and press with 15 kg power bag and burpees on the end alternated with 1 minute of curl press squat with dumbells or similar x 2

10 minutes non stop abs (various crunches)

Backed it up with boxing and managed not to gas out as nibbled on a protein bar in between. Trainer suggested tring lucozaide sport or flat coke. Not a fan of fizzy crap so might try small sips of coconut water or pineapple juice.

Training goal is to build up to light sparring. Have the fitness but need to work more on defense plus building up muscle. Think I might get a private lesson a week to this end. Gonna hurt the hip pocket but guess its better than spending it in the pub!

:D
NatB

Postby Rach » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Dates are good for quick energy.Medjool are the nicest imo.
Rach

Postby NatB » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Awesome thanks for that will give it a try!
NatB

Postby Rach » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Just remembered reading this recipe http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/brendan-br ... 1310606523
These are meant to be good for energy.
Rach

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs