[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
• View topic - FormicaL's derby improvement log

FormicaL's derby improvement log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: FormicaL's derby improvement log

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 am

Tues 28 Feb 2012

Exercise
cycled to work to practice to home
2-hour derby practice

Food
Breakfast: usual smoothie
Lunch: tofu/veg/noodle, cucumber maki
Snack: flat white, banana bread
Snack: picknicker
Post-practice/cycle: protein shake, crisps and hummus

Notes
My practice attendance is definitely getting better, and now that the weather is nicer and I'm mostly over my cold I'm riding my bike more regularly. I've also been doing the off-skates stuff (DSA) for four weeks now. So my exercise has increased. I'm still at 70kg, which isn't surprising as I feel like I'm eating loads and not very healthy stuff. The increase in exercise means a decrease in time at home; I basically have no more than two evenings a week where I'm not out training, and as I generally get home no earlier than 10pm and usually more like 11pm on those days, it's so hard to figure out when to prepare food. And my partner does all the same stuff, so she's not home to cook either. It's something we're going to have to work out, though.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Wed 29 Feb 2012

Exercise
None

Food
Breakfast: smoothie
Lunch: hummus sandwich, chips
Dinner: schnitzel, soba & broccoli

Notes
Though this was just yesterday, I can't recall my food perfectly. I probably had a snack but I can't remember it. Had to work on a job application in the evening, so didn't do any exercise.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Have negelected my blog again because I've been really busy with work and derby.

Had my two games this weekend. First game we lost, but by a tiny amount. We very nearly won it. I'm really proud of my team (I'm captain), even though I didn't feel like I played as well as I could have. I felt loads better about my own playing in the second game. That was a travel team and we won by loads.

Here's a highlights video from my previous home-team bout, not the one from this weekend, but the one from February. There's a brief bit of me jamming.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBSdLtlWieU[/youtube]
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 pm

My log has been severely neglected!

I went on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales with some friends. We stayed in a National Trust cottage. Absolutely stunning area!

Since getting back I've been really busy with work, and a visit from my mom, and prep for a job interview. Have done basically no exercise in the past two weeks due to all these things.

Should be getting back into it starting with some weights tomorrow. I'm hoping to have time to start logging again as well.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 am

Work is finally a bit slower, so I've been able to get back to exercise and now have a chance to log.

March was really bad for me as far as work getting in the way of exercise/practice. My practice attendance for Jan and Feb was over 80%. In March it was 20%! Here's hoping April will be much better.

Saturday 31 March 2012
Lifted weights at home.
I've lost a bit of strength as I haven't done this regularly for a month or so.

Sunday 1 April 2012
3-hour scrimmage derby practice

Monday 2 April 2012
1.5 hours off skates (speed/agility/quickness and weights).
Session is 2 hours but I missed a bit as I was trying to find someone who was a bit lost to help her get to the place.

Tuesday 3 April 2012
Cycling home --> work --> practice --> home
Have 2 hour derby practice tonight
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Gonna try to get back in the habit of posting here. Tuesday was our practice back after one month off from training. Well, it was a month off from on-skates training. We still did our off-skates training (not required of anyone, but available for those who want it) and had two per week available during the break. I went to every Monday session and two of the four Wednesday sessions.

Oh yeah, and at the start of June my home team (of which I am captain) won our last game of the season, which made us season champions! As we used to be the league underdogs, I'm really pleased with that. Here's a video with some footage from the game. My team is the one in white, in the second game covered here.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1N8DBqDYs0[/youtube]

There is a tween girl skating out with the team in blue (Suffra Jets), but you do have to be 18+ to skate with us. The girl isn't one of our skaters, but her mother was. Her mother was on the Suffra Jets, and she very recently died of cancer. It was just a special thing for her daughter to join in the skate out.

Tues 11 Jul
Cycled home to work to practice to home
2-hour derby practice

Wed 12 Jul
Weights at home (all in pounds):
Cleans: 5x69, 5x74, 5x79, 5x84, 5x89
Bench press: 2 sets of 5x69, 10x69
Bent over row: 3 sets of 5x74
Deadlift: 6x153
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Just a catch-up with my current schedule. Have extra-long Sunday practices now through Sept.

Monday: 2 hours off skates training (weights, speed/agility, circuits)
Tuesday: 2 hours derby practice, cycling*
Wednesday: weights at home, cycling
Thursday: 2 hours derby practice
Friday: probably nothing, maybe cycle on occasion
Saturday: plyo-type stuff, unless I actually exercised Friday in which case I'd rest
Sunday: 4 hours derby practice

*cycling is just riding my bike to work or practice, which is only 8-13 (occasionally 20) miles for the day.

I've been eating out less, though this is for money-saving reasons. So we're being better about eating at home and I am also going to try to clean up our diet a little. I'm about to read Vegan for Life and try to make sure we're eating all the stuff we should be.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Sun 15 Jul
3-hour derby practice, all scrimmaging
I forget how hard a contact sport is on the body--was full of aches after this session

Mon 16 Jul
2-hour off skates session
An hour of weights, half hour vision training, half hour speed/agility/quickness
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm

cool video!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:48 am

Thurs 19 Jul
2-hour derby practice

Fri 20 Jul
Led 2-hour derby rec league practice
Leading a session is not very intense exercise-wise

[quote="Lordmuppet"]cool video!

Thanks!
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Sun 22 Jul
Just over 3 hours of derby practice

I managed to injure my knee towards the end. I kept skating but pain made it a bit hard for me to get power and bursts of speed. It now is feeling quite tight and I get occasional sharp pains while walking. I didn't go to off-skates training last night and will probably not skate tonight, though I will go watch practice. I made the mistake of riding my bike, so still have to cycle to practice and then home from there so my knee won't get a full rest today. I won't do any exercise tomorrow. I hope I've just kind of bruised something and this will resolve pretty quickly because I really don't want to have to take much time off right now.

It's a really key time right now, as our regional Playoff are at the end of September. I don't really think I stand a very good chance of being picked for the roster for that, but I still really want to try, so my training should be at its peak over the next couple of months. We also have Team USA coming over to play us at the start of September. They are the team that was put together last year for the World Cup and is made up of amazing players from all over the US. It will be the hardest game we've ever played.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:52 pm

My knee is still hurting, so I haven't been doing much lately... except for cycling 64 miles over the weekend. That probably wasn't the best idea but it was a nice weekend away in the countryside with friends.

I'm going to go to practice tomorrow anyway and hope it's not too bad.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 am

The travel teams were re-selected last night, and I'm no longer on the A team. That means I'm not going to Playoffs this year. I'm pretty upset about it, but I guess the one plus is that I can now rest my knee for a while.

I'm already frustrated by the lack of exercise and it's been only a few days! I have no idea what I can do to keep up strength and fitness without using my knee. It hurts even when I'm walking. I can't cycle, can't skate, and can't do any squatting type motion even just with body weight.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Still haven't done any exercise since I got back from my cycling trip. It's really frustrating! But I don't want to make my knee worse.

I'm going to Dublin this weekend for a bootcamp/bout with the B team, which I'm not going to skate in, but my tickets were bought before I hurt my knee. I'm definitely taking the whole month off from derby, but I think I'll try cycling a bit starting next week and see how that goes. There's a physio who comes to our practice every fortnight so I'm going to try to see her. I might go to off-skates training next Monday and just do the bits I can, which will most likely be very little. But I'm going a bit stir crazy so need to do something.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 am

Saw a physio on Tues evening and she said it seems that I've done something to my meniscus but it doesn't seem to be too bad so I should be OK to start doing exercise again, slowly building up. Yay!

Cycled to work today and will do the same tomorrow. I'll start doing some strength stuff next week, though with not much weight. I'll eventually get back on skates at the start of Sept.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs