New York Marathon - I used to be a runner, I think

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

New York Marathon - I used to be a runner, I think

Postby HumanGazelle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Why hello again VF, how have you been? Long time no speak.

So it's been quite a while since I last logged my training.... mainly because there hasn't been a great deal to log. But instead I have been diligently carbing up, attentively selecting which days are rest days, and quietly nurturing a good cake belly :)

I'm running the New York Marathon in November, so this year I have turned over a new leaf. Unfortunately at the moment I am still struggling to even enjoy running; currently I'm only feeling the constant tiredness, not the endorphin cravings. I hope this changes over the summer, or I'm going to be running on willpower alone.

My previous marathon time was 4:36. I'm hoping to break 4 hours this time round. I don't know if that's realistic at the moment, so time will tell. I started running as regularly as I could over a month ago but my official 16 weeks started on June 4th, so that's where the log starts from.

Also, a couple of weeks beforehand I ran 4 miles in 29 minutes - about a 7.26 pace. That's kind of my 10k pace at the moment (46 minutes). If I can do an official 10k I will try and fit it in, as it will probably work out to be a minor improvement on my previous time.
Last edited by HumanGazelle on Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
HumanGazelle

Re: New York, New York, here I come

Postby HumanGazelle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Monday, June 4th
4 miles

Tuesday
8 miles

Wednesday
Rest day. Had 1 beer in spite of promising myself not to drink until November. Hard to say no to a lady.

Thursday
4 miles

Friday
rest

Saturday
8 miles

Sunday
Training session with some of the Vegan Runners in Victoria Park. I think it was 7x 1/2 mile at pace, but I lost count.
HumanGazelle

Postby HumanGazelle » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 am

Monday, June 11th
4 miles

Tuesday
Rest day - had 1 coffee and 1 beer. I'm really sensitive to coffee and it makes me hit the wall even if I'm resting, so that's something else I should cut out.

Wednesday
5 miles

Thursday
4 miles
HumanGazelle

Postby HumanGazelle » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:08 am

Oh yeah, while I'm here... was gutted to miss VFW Austria this year :( It clashed with a wedding, so I was in Glastonbury having the vegan option at a South African braai. Have seen a few photos, and it looks like there was a lot of fun being had. I really missed being there. Next year...
HumanGazelle

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:25 am

I'll cheer for you when you run and can take you out for a victory meal afterward!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby benzilla » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:40 am

Keep going with the training mate! Pretty lucky to be selected for that marathon!
benzilla

Postby soniczip » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:13 am

HumanGazelle wrote:Oh yeah, while I'm here... was gutted to miss VFW Austria this year :( It clashed with a wedding, so I was in Glastonbury having the vegan option at a South African braai. Have seen a few photos, and it looks like there was a lot of fun being had. I really missed being there. Next year...

yeah, absolutely :wink:

nice to see your log. i think you'll easily break the 4 minutes barrier 8)
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Rochellita » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 am

Hey, nice to see you back logging!

Sorry that the training is so gruelling, is this normal when training for a marathon or are you overtraining? I hope you get your mojo back and good luck with the training.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:53 am

HumanGazelle wrote:Rest day - had 1 coffee and 1 beer. I'm really sensitive to coffee and it makes me hit the wall even if I'm resting, so that's something else I should cut out.

nice how you are worried about the coffee and not the beer :twisted:

If you are running 46 minute 10km, you should be on track for easy sub 4 hour IF you have enough long runs in your training program. Lets see it!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:04 am

Hey James, good to see you back at it!
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby HumanGazelle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks everyone, it's good to be back!

KaliBaby wrote:I'll cheer for you when you run and can take you out for a victory meal afterward!

Sounds like a plan Kali - definitely up for a few days of eating afterwards. I'm actually staying somewhere in NJ but I don't know where my friends' place is, just yet.

baldy wrote:nice how you are worried about the coffee and not the beer :twisted:

They both hinder my training... but as it happens, I did run an experiment (under completely controlled scientific conditions, of course) back in May, where I discovered that over a 5 mile distance, I run much better 3 hours after a gin and tonic, than 1 hour after a double espresso. 8)

baldy wrote:If you are running 46 minute 10km, you should be on track for easy sub 4 hour IF you have enough long runs in your training program. Lets see it!

I don't have a formal training program, but I'm basically trying to observe the following:
- Run 5 days a week. To begin with, these will be 4-6 miles. Later on, I'll run 4-8 miles depending on how I feel.
- 1 weekly long run, starting at 8 miles, increase by 1 mile a week, up to a max of 18.
- 1 weekly interval session. 1/2 mile distance, perhaps 7 or 8 reps with a minute rest.

I'm trying to ensure I run the day after a long run, to see how this feels. But the long run and the interval session will never be on consecutive days.
HumanGazelle

Postby HumanGazelle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 am

Friday 15th July
rest

Saturday
5 miles - 2 miles uphill (I don't have hills near me so it was handy to visit my parents and do Crystal Palace hill).

Sunday
5 miles

Monday
8.5 miles

Tuesday
Yoga class (which wasn't exactly rest but means a day of not running)

Sat, Sun and Mon it was raining pretty heavily, so hopefully a day off has given my trainers a bit of time to dry out. It's a wierd feeling putting on trainers that are still damp.

I am so tired right now.
HumanGazelle

Postby soniczip » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 am

HumanGazelle wrote:Tuesday
Yoga class (which wasn't exactly rest but means a day of not running)

cross training is so important! i'm thinking about taking yoga classes as well ... i'm so stiff :D

HumanGazelle wrote:I am so tired right now.

it olny means you did your job :D
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby HumanGazelle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:59 pm

soniczip wrote:it olny means you did your job :D

THIS is my job? :cry:
HumanGazelle

Postby HumanGazelle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:27 am

Wed
4 miles

I'm off to a wedding for the weekend and failed to train yesterday, so it'll be a few days break I think. Then, I'm running the Hackney Half Marathon next Sunday, so the week will mainly consist of easy runs.
HumanGazelle

Next

Return to Training Logs