Through the Haze ... Road to Strong

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Through the Haze ... Road to Strong

Postby seasiren » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Happy 2012 everyone! I have waited some time to start posting again, once I knew where I was going. You know it's a bit of a kick in the teeth when you realize one day that you were in your "prime" and it past. I think I have settled with that fact and it's time to move away from the sport I loved. My prime was 2008-2009.

After having my precious daughter after a very complicated pregnancy my health continued to decline. A long history of issues and it kicked in hard ... days where I can't walk, or have use of an arm, hand, poor memory some days and a long list of ailments that change from day to day. They ruled out MS and Lupus finally settling on Fibromyalgia (which I know is a true condition, I just feel it's a cop out diagnosis of "we don't know what you have").

So after almost two years of trying to get back on track and beat this thing, I have come to a realization on several things as far as health and goals. The more whole foods I eat the better I feel (kinda of a "duh" thing huh?), I do not do well on high carbs, such as breads, pastas, (in fact wheat as a whole seems to make me worse) and potatoes and respond well with a higher protein intake. Cardio makes me hurt ... and I mean badly the next day. The heavier I lift the better I feel. Dieting down, makes me very sick and can cause a huge episode. That all equals, figure and bikini comps being totally out of the question. The last part was really hard to swallow.

The good thing is that I have learned a ton about nutrition and continue to learn how it all works and how I respond.

Trust me ....I'm over it. I'm competitive by nature and also a tenacious b*tch and am not giving up. So if hard lifting and feeding my body are what works, we shall make it work into the "plan", whatever that may be.

That being said, I have a lot to learn about hard core lifting in the strongman/woman sense. I'm working with a 5x5 beginner program to get my wits about be and build some strength.

My calories are at 1500, up from my normal 1200, I am seriously suspecting that my calories will have to increase.

Yesterday:
Squats 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5
seasiren

Re: Through the Haze ... Road to Strong

Postby dublin dave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Welcome back...and sorry to hear about your poor health...good luck with the lifting... 8)
dublin dave

Postby seasiren » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:10 pm

[quote="dublin dave"]Welcome back...and sorry to hear about your poor health...good luck with the lifting... 8)

Thank you, great to be back :)
seasiren

Postby JP » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Awesome to see you back denise!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Sweet, I can't wait to see how this next chapter of your life goes! Welcome back :)
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Very sorry to hear about the illness :( On a positive note coming through injuries and illness is the true mark of the beast :) I tend to respect lifters, regardless of what they lift, a lot more if they have come through something really crappy.

I see you are looking at Strongwoman stuff, would powerlifting also be a good fit?

oh and please remember to post the weights of the lifts! :lol:

best of luck with whatever new project you decide on!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby seasiren » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks JP and Frostfire! :)

[quote="Lordmuppet"]Very sorry to hear about the illness :( On a positive note coming through injuries and illness is the true mark of the beast :) I tend to respect lifters, regardless of what they lift, a lot more if they have come through something really crappy.

I see you are looking at Strongwoman stuff, would powerlifting also be a good fit?

oh and please remember to post the weights of the lifts! :lol:

best of luck with whatever new project you decide on!

Thanks! I am looking a Strongwoman, but it's a long road so I'm lurking on the big boy boards right now so as not to ask any stupid questions :lol:

I'll start posting weights on the third week of Jan, they are pretty much a joke, but I'll at least be able to log progression which is the point. Right now getting some really sucky form corrected so not to hurt myself going heavier. I need better shoes too. I usually lift barefoot and think that may not be wise.

I already upped my calories to 1800, I was so hungry yesterday and needed it! I do need to settle on my macros.

Today:
Squats 5x4 - ok
Military Press 5x4 -bahahaha, OMG this was a mess
Deadlift 5x4 - this has been and still is my best lift
Situps 3 sets

Three things, my form still sucks (working on it), I needed more fuel (upped cals, done), I was really tired yesterday and had to catch a short nap. Same today, immediately after training, I was beat.
seasiren

Postby baldy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 pm

[quote="seasiren"]
Three things, my form still sucks (working on it), I needed more fuel (upped cals, done), I was really tired yesterday and had to catch a short nap. Same today, immediately after training, I was beat.

sounds exactly like my training! Looking forward to following your progress, with your dedication you are bound to progress quickly in strongwoman stuff.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am

Sorry to hear about your setbacks, life can be a fight sometimes but you don't seem like the sort of person to give in easily :evil: .

I can only imagine the change to strongwoman is going to be really interesting. Can't wait to hear more and see some videos!
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby seasiren » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 pm

[quote="baldy"]
Looking forward to following your progress, with your dedication you are bound to progress quickly in strongwoman stuff.

Thank you!

[quote="Konstantin"]Sorry to hear about your setbacks, life can be a fight sometimes but you don't seem like the sort of person to give in easily :evil: .

I can only imagine the change to strongwoman is going to be really interesting. Can't wait to hear more and see some videos!

Thank you!

I have so much to learn. I have done a bit of research on some comps and they vary greatly on the requirements of the events and the weights involved. It will be interesting to see how it all pans up regarding my grip and whether or not I have use of hands, arms, legs etc on the given day. Making it to comp will be a huge accomplishment. However, not focusing on a goal will drive me insane. I refuse not to have quality of life ... that's the not giving up part :evil: :lol:

There is some info on constructing some new toys .... I just have to convince DH to give up part of his garage. :P He thinks he has a choice.
seasiren

Postby vegan hal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 am

good to see you back Denise. sorry about the illness. you're super tough though.
vegan hal

Postby seasiren » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:00 pm

[quote="vegan hal"]good to see you back Denise. sorry about the illness. you're super tough though.

Thanks!

Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Powerclean– 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8
Weighted Dips - 3 sets of 5-8

Triceps Extension and Biceps Curl - 3 sets

The set of 8 on each exercise is the one that was the hardest, other than that I'm catching on ok. Looking forward to my training has been a long time coming :)

I have several fibromyalgia friends on one of my sites so I'm adding an update, for those who don't have it to maybe understand a bit and for those who do, can see that I'm pushing through anyway and hopefully can help someone else.

Fibro Alert: When I began the program body wide pain, this has eased as of today, but not entirely gone. I still can't walk like a normal person (over a year now), shuffle is more like it. If I twist the wrong way I'm sure to be down on the ground. Holding onto a shopping cart or weighed down, I actually can walk better (go figure). After the first day of training I the pain in the right elbow and shoulder was horrible. This went away, yesterday it was the left elbow and knees and had lost feeling on the left side of my left foot. Today, still can't walk but only minor discomfort bodywise, which is the best I have felt in a very long time! Lastly the training is kicking my butt for being tired. I HAVE to take a nap during the day ... as in if I don't I would fall over. My energy works in spurts, which is when I train or do housework etc. I do still have to rest quite a bit during the day.
seasiren

Postby seasiren » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:51 pm

My daughter flew in from college to visit me :D We took the family out to dinner (6 kid's in total, haha). But I started to feel pretty terrible at the end. I hadn't mentioned before my lower back is infected again, and since I refuse to let the quacks touch me this round I have been attempting to handle it myself (genetic disorder apparently, last round was almost 4 years ago). A bit of a fever has begun, but is lower this morning. So, I'll keep working on healing that up.

I have two rest days today and tomorrow, AND the football games are on today and tomorrow, how convenient! My team is not playing til next week though (Ravens). On the training front, I'm sore in a good way. My lower back is the most sore, and yep I can tell the difference in the types of pain even though I have more than one going on, :lol:

I do hope my appetite comes in, not much of one since last eve and don't want to make myself sick. However, I have been getting the 1800 cals in and believe I need to try darn hard to get my cals in to recover from training properly.

Have a great weekend everyone!
seasiren

Postby Rach » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Your log and goals sound exciting and I look forward to following :D Sorry to hear about your health problems also. Re shoes, I've got the oly lifting shoes from strength shop uk and they are great for squatting. Strongwoman set up in your garage sounds awesome. Happy lifting for 2012!
Rach

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:54 pm

Great to see you back :D

Heavy lifting ftw!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Next

Return to Training Logs