Rodolfo's Swimming and Cycling log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Rodolfo's Swimming and Cycling log

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:30 pm

I'm going to post my times in practice:

After a 300m warmup, we did 4 X 200m IM on 3:20 interval and I was coming in on 2:30 each time, except the last when I went 2:25. Like I said, that was all technique, because when i finished that set, I was nearly dead. Without swimming 6 days a week, I loose my stamina. After that we did 8 X 50m kicks on 1:10, and then 12 X 100m Pull (free) on 1:30. I went second and made those on 1:10 - 1:15. I hate freestyle. I don't remember what we finished off with.

I don't know what that totals to. However, if I did omit something, that should've been more than 4k and less than 5k in 60 minutes (I always show up late :( )
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Wednesday, August 2nd, 2006

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Morning Swim 6am-7:10am
(the water was 85o F today :evil: )

200m warm up
6 X 100m kick
12 X 50m Swim IMO, by 150m of each stroke on 1:00 interval arriving on the 0:45.
500 pull free
500 swim "indian run" where last swimmer has to pass the 9 swimmers in front every 50m. Done from youngest in lane (me at 29) to oldest (Dr. Gaard at 60).
300 pull free
200 (broken by 50m's) one breath per 50m.

3 X 100m free pull on 1:30 interval, arriving on the 1:20 - 1:25
3 X 100m backstroke on the 1:40 arriving on the 1:30 - 1:35.
100m breast stroke working on technique (at pace)

100m Easy cool down

Total 3800m

Not bad considering my skin felt like it was going to fall off in the hot water. Now that I count it out, it seems pidly. Perhaps I'll try and see if I can sneak out of work at noon and hit the indoor pool for some yardage.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:19 pm

awesome to see swimmers log here - so interesting to read about different training methods even if i do not do any swimming myself and am a fanatical strength trainer :D

All the best with your training mate!
JP
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:58 pm

It so hard for me to get on here and post what I did.

So, to follow up, last Wednesday, after my short morning practice, I went and hit the weight room at my YMCA then went down to the pool for some more yardage. It was really nice.

You guys have inspired me to hit the weights more! Unfortunately, I barely kept track of what I did, other than make sure I hit lots of lat pull downs (up to 150lbs X 4), some incline bench presses (110lbs), and lots and lots of leg lifts (300+). It was all upper body and abs. I tried to stay away from doing any tricep work, since I was swimming and I didn't feel like dying. The whole routine on weights was just under an hour. Ouch.

Then I hit the pool for... let me see...
100 warmup
4 X 50 kick/drill combo
5 X 100 IM on 1:20 pace w/ 1:30 interval
4 X 200 Free on 2:20 pace w/ 2:30 interval
200 IM broken w/ 5 seconds rest for time (I did a 2:22).
100 cool down

That's 1900 yards with about 45 minuntes in the pool. I had to dodge people left and right, with made my sets really difficult to do on time. I tried to talk to people in my lanes about what I was planning to do, and what they were doing, so I didn't get in their way... but they sure did get in my way.

Fast forward to today. I lifted at my house. 25lb barbells for 3 X (25 X bicep curls). I do the curls with my palm facing me (up) for ten, then my palm facing inward for ten, then my palms facing down for five. I have no idea if that has a name. Then I hit the incline bench again for my 90lbs barbell X 12, then the Stretch cords for 3 X 20 reps at maximum distance doing the Fly motion. Last I did 150 situps on a big ball, and then 20 sideups on the floor. Then I ate breakfast.

I still plan on going to the pool today. I miss the water. :)
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Cross your fingers for me!

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Oh man. Having two young young kids (and limited child care), no money (and lots of bills), a part time job and a full time job... and trying to keep a marriage active and happy does take it's toll on being able to work out.

So I intended to go swimming again on Friday. My wife said, "How about we all go to the YMCA and you can workout while I take the kids to the kiddie pool!" Sounded like a great idea. It didn't work out as planned.

She (or I) left her suit at the house, so I got in with the kids while she worked out in flip flops on the eliptical machines. Once she was done, and I played with the kids for an hour, I helped her get the kids changed, and jumped back in to the pool for just over 30 minutes. That's so nothing.

So I warmed up for about 5 minutes and about 200yds of easy kicking, drill, and floating. Then I started this set:
6 X 100yd IM arriving on the 1:20 on a 2:00 interval w/ 25 sit-ups between each.
3 X 200yd Free arriving on the 2:20 on a 2:30 interval
8 X 25 stroke drill
Then I got out of the pool. That was only 1600yds.

I was just getting started. :evil:

++++++++++++++++

I had to skip working out on the weekend. No soccer, and no swimming. :( I felt like lard by the time Monday rolled around.

++++++++++++++++

Monday:

I got to a 90 minute practice 50 minutes late! I felt like shit. I was tired, and exausted. I don't remember at all what I swam, but they made me go first for a lot of it because I hadn't swam for the first 50 mintues.

I remember it addedup to about 2300 meters or something, mostly freestyle and some kicking.

I still felt like shit.

++++++++++++++++

Wednesday, today!

I show up late and miss the warmup, but I arrive just in time for some 200 IM's! My favorite.

The set was 6 X 200m IM on the 3:30 interval. I missed the first one, and jumped in at the end of the lane as a "warm up". Immediately they two guys moved out to let me pass, and I did the third one faster on a 3:05. Then the guy who was leading decided he was tired, and moved back, and the guy who was second wanted me to go first... so I cut my rest short (25 seconds to 5 to 10 seconds) and jumped in first! Leading is always harder since you can't draft. I routinely go 5 seconds slower per 100m when I lead, and get significantly more tired. Anyhow, I lead the last 3 X 200IM, making all of them under 2:55. The last one fucked me up good, though.

Then we got to do 7 X 100m Kicking. I took it easy, and did a lot of drill.

Next was 6 X 150m pull on something like 2:00. I'm not sure what it was. Dan Stevenson lead, who was a four-time letter winner for USC in the late 1970's and early 1980's. He should've been in the Olympics, but I think that he couldn't 'cause of the boycott or something. Regardless, he's still a great swimmer, especially in the 200m free, which is his specialty. He's got such nice technique. His head is perfectly balanced when we rolls, and his entry is so smooth. Wow. Anyhow, he kicks my ass in freestyle, and he kept track of the sets.

We finished of with 8 X 50m no breathers while counted strokes. I made the first one as a no breather, and only did 31 strokes (free). The next seven I breathed only once each 50m, but couldn't keep my stroke rate lower than 34 for three, 33 for two, and 32 for one. That drill is tiring.

I cooled down, and got out after 3200 meters, which still feels pidly. I feel like I need 5000 minimum (and not just floating around) to feel like I got something out of it.

I coach tonight, so perhaps I can sneak off early and hit the pool and test out what I write for my swimmers today. Cross your fingers for me!
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:37 pm

I didn't get to sneak off yesterday. :(

However, I did write a kickass workout for my Master's Swimmers. I figured, I might as well share, since it is rare that I have it on this computer. Here it is!

Rodolfo Coaches a Master's Workout wrote:Master's Workout Wednesday August 9th, 2006
Focus: Balance in the water

Warmup: 200m Easy

Drill Set: Entire set is with 15 seconds rest.
PLEASE DO THE KICKS SETS HARD!
100m fly kick: 5 kicks on left side, 5 kicks on belly, 5 kicks on right side, 5 kicks on belly, etc.
50m fly kick, arms behind you
50m fly drill: arms stop at the end of power phase and before recovery
50m fly drill: long glide fly (glide with big kick at the end of recovery)
50m fly drill: 3 right, 3 left, 3 regular fly: focus on correct breathing.
4 X 25m fly "best technique"

100m back kick, face left for 1st 50m, then right for second 50m.
100m back kick: 5 kicks on left, 5 kicks on back, 5 kicks on right, 5 kicks on back, etc.
100m back pull w/ bouy: focus on keeping head still and rotating smoothly
4 X 25m backstroke "best technique"

100m breaststroke kick
50m breast kick, arms behind you
50m swim breast underwater as long as possible; repeat to cover distance
50m breast pull with fly kick
50m breast; go for lowest stroke count while maintaining speed
4 X 25m breaststroke "best technique"

100m flutter kick with board
100m Flutterkick: 5 kicks on left, 5 kicks on front, 5 kicks on front, 5 kicks on front, etc.
100m free pull w/ bouy: focus on keeping head still and rotating smoothly
4 X 25m Freestyle "best technique"
(1600)

Lanes #1 & #2 do:

5 X 100m IMO (no Free)1:50 / 2:00
4 X 200m IM 3:30 / 3:55
3 X 300m Free 4:30 / 5:00
2 X 250m Stroke Choice (cannot be all the same stroke) 4:30 / 5:00
1 X 400 IM 8:00 / 9:30
(3100)

Lanes #3 & #4 do:

4 X 100m IMO 2:20 / 2:45
3 X 200m IM 4:15 / 4:45
2 X 250m Stroke Choice (cannot all be the same stroke) 5:20 / 5:50
2 X 300m Free 5:30 / 6:10
1 X 400 IM 10:00
(2500)

Lanes #5 & #6 do:

3 X 100m IMO (no Free)
3 X 100m IM
2 X 150m Stroke Choice (cannot all be the same stroke)
2 X 200m Free
1 X 200 IM
(1500)

Cool Down: 200 Easy
Total Distance: 5100 / 4500 / 3500

Oooh! I hope to have enough time to swim it myself. It was fun!

And here's another one.
another of Rodolfo's Coached workouts wrote:Master's July 13th Workout!

Warm Up: 200 easy
(200)
Drill: 4 X 100 drill IMO
100 IM Drill
(500)
Kick Set: 4 X 50 kick worst (kicking) stroke
4 X 50 kick 3rd best
4 X 50 kick 2nd best
4 X 50 kick best
Lane #3 & #4 do each only 3 times
Lane #5 do each only 2 times
(800 / 600 / 400)
Main Set: 5 X 100 IMO by 100
4 X 200 Worst non free Stroke
3 X 300 Best stroke
2 X 400 2nd Best non free Best Stroke
1 X 500 Free
(3500)
Cool Down: 200 easy
Total Max Distance: 5200
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Thursday August 10th 2006

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:35 pm

Thursday and Friday (today) have treated me well. :)

Thursday

I arrive at the YMCA at 12:40, "transitioned" in a record 5 minutes, and went to the weight room.

Lifting Part

20 leg lifts with legs straight
20 leg lifts with knees bent and twisting my midsection to hit the obliques.

20 X 35lbs (each hand) freeweight for curls with palm facing inward
20 X 40lbs barbell for curls with palm facing down

20 leg lifts with legs straight
10 leg lifts with knees bent and twisting my midsection to hit the obliques.

20 X 30lbs (each hand) freeweight for curls with palm facing inward
15 X 30lbs (each hand) freeweight for military press (upward)
10 X 80lbs barbell incline benchpress
10 X 100lbs incline benchpress

15 leg lifts with legs straight

10 X 108lbs lat pulldown (machine)
15 X 30lbs (each arm) curls
20 X 25lbs (each arm) curls
20 X 25lbs (each hand) freeweight for military press (upward)

5 leg lifts with legs straight

10 X 70lbs freeweight one arm row left arm
10 X 70lbs freeweight one arm row right arm

I did that like I was in a race in only 20 minutes!

I ran downstairs to the pool, ripped off my shoes, socks, and shorts, and jumped right in within 5 minutes! I go in the pool at 1:03pm.

Swim part:

100yd IM easy warm up

400yd IM on 5:30 on a 6:00 interval
300yd Crawl on 3:50 on a 4:15 interval
200yd IM on a 2:30 on a 3:00 interval
100yd Crawl on 1:15 on a 1:30 interval

100yd Cool Down (and drill/kick)

Total Distance: 1200yds!

I got out of the pool at 12:18pm, for a 15 minute workout where I went nearly a mile with 150yds of each stroke: Fly, Back, and Breast! I was very happy with that short workout.

Then I ran out to get my son from Daycare at 12:30pm. I barely made it.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Friday August 11th, 2006

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:52 pm

Today has been nice too. :)

As usual, I showed up late for morning practice. 5:45am is just a shitty time no matter how you cut it. However, today I showed up a more respectable 5:55am instead of 6:30am. :)

(truncated) Warmup: 200m Easy drill
12 X 12.5yds from a dive then underwater swimming and no breath, then 1 pullout and 10 pushups on 1:00 each
10 X 50m Crawl on 39secs and a 45 second interval
2 X 100m Crawl on 1:15 on a 2:00 interval
10 X 50m Kick on a 1:15 interval (i did mostly drills)
6 X 100m on 1:19 with a 1:40 interval
4 X (100m Swim on 1:15 interval + (2 X 50m Sprint on 1:00 interval)) all modified Medley Relay order by set ie. Back, Breast, Crawl, Fly
200m Cool Down

Total Distance: 3150m

That last set Fly set was a killer, but it was really good. I got to swim next to Emily, a friend, because everyone was getting out of the pool. Although she said, "we're not racing this", of course we did anyhow. :) My fly felt really nice and easy and I felt like I was skipping across the water... until my arms started to fail me at the end of the last 50m sprint. Ouch. It wasn't much distance, but with those suicides (the swim then pushups) in the beginning, it was a tough but nice sprint workout.

I got out of the pool at 7:30. It was all very nice. :) I just love the water. The sun was getting up and the moon was still out, the air was cool and my body was acclimated to the water. I could've stayed there forever.

I can't wait to come back for more.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:32 am

WOAH thats some serious exercise going on there!!!!!!!!

I agree with JP - I find it really intersting to read a swimmers log
Fruitbat

29 years old!

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:05 pm

Fruitbat wrote:WOAH thats some serious exercise going on there!!!!!!!!

I agree with JP - I find it really intersting to read a swimmers log

Thanks!

I haven't gotten to post in a while.

We were out of town for the entire last weekend from Thursday to Monday, and I did workout, but I have no recollection of what most of it was. Exceptions are yesterday and the day before.

On Tuesday the 22nd, I got in for an hour and did a bit to loosen up. I was glad for that, since I caught a cold the day before and the swim snapped it.

Warm up:
4 X 100yd Drill IMO
200 Kick

Main Set:
500yd Free Pull
400yd IM
300yd Free Pull
200yd IM
100yd Free Sprint
w/ 15 seconds rest between each

Then my kid started crying and the "kid watch" program paged me and I had to abruptly stop. Oh well. I still got in 2100yds in less than an hour, and I think that nice swim busted my cold.

I do know that I got a rare treat on Wednesday the 23rd. It was my birthday! I turned 29 years old! That meant that if I showed up to morning practice at 5:45am, the whole team would have to do my workout. In 7 years of masters swimming, I had yet to arrive on time for my birthday workout. Yestersday, that drought ended. :)

My workout:

Warmup:
600 meters easy

Main Set #1:
500m Free Pull
400m IM
300m Free Pull
200m IM
100m Free Sprint
w/ 15 seconds rest between each

Main Set #2:
8 X 100 IM w/ 8 pushups between each
on 2:10 interval for everything

Main Set #3:
100m Free Pull
200m IM
300m Free Pull
400m IM

Cool Down:
300 Easy

total distance: 4200 meters

I was shot to hell after that workout, and I loved it. :)

In retrospect, it is a lot easier to do this set in short course yards. The turns and the shorter distance make this set quite easy. I made the last 100yd free in 1:10, and that was still nursing a cold. A day later, on my birthday set, I felt closer to 100% and my heart felt like it was going to burst after the first long set. I'm going to miss the long course meters. :(
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:49 am

happy Bday :D:D:D:D

whats a free pull?
Fruitbat

Postby Rochellita » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:55 am

belated happy birthday.

I do enjoy reading your log, it's great to have much diversity on VF and you have added a new element with your swimming log!
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:03 pm

Wow. I haven't been on here in a while.

I'm taking a class (!) on top of working full time, working out (almost regularly), taking care of two young kids without much daycare (7 m and 2.5 yrs) and maintaining a healthy relationship with my wife (and she also works a lot theses days), so... I haven't had much time to write up what's been up on my routines.

I worked out regularly, but nothing really like a nice routine due to illness and the change of schedules that occurs every September when my wife and I get busy with work (and now, school).

In the meantime, we've switched pools :( . Now we swim at the short course yards pool in town instead of the nice big-laned long course meters pool. It is so sad. :cry: .

But I still feel fast, which is nice.

Today I only did 3550 yds in an hour, since I showed up 30 minutes late :( ... but I still got to lead my lane.

What I did today:
500yds Swim Free
450yds Swim Free
200yds Swim Free

12 X 50yds kick on 1:00 (I did this IM order with 3 X 50yds of each stroke)

12 X 100yds pull Free on 1:20 interval. I did these on 1:10! I'm so stocked. That's pretty darn good for slacking off as often as I do. Now, next step is to get my pace at 1:05 per 100yds. One day I'll be able to go as fast as I did when I was in college at sub 1:00 paces...

12 X 25 Swim IMO on 0:30.

250yds free count strokes. I kept my stroke count at 13 w/out breathing, and 14 for the ones I took a breath in. Regular pace I go at around 15. I need to get that lower for my fast pace.

That was a nice nice morning swim. Nothing too fast, and a nice way to start the week.

What I hope is even better is that I talked to my boss, who is the faculty representative to the NCAA for the University of Michigan. He knows all the coaches, and has to sign off on the student-athlete's grades/issues if anything comes up that might go against UM or NCAA rules. Anyhow... I talked to him about setting me up so that I could sit in and watch and take notes at UM / Club Wolverine practices.

That means that I could watch Micheal Phelps swim regularly, and learn from watching him and his team mates in the water! Micheal Phelps is the fastest swimmer in the water since Micheal Spitz. That would be so amazing!

I'm emailing the coaches right now so that I can get the ball rolling, and hopefully, I can go and watch and learn soon! I'm sure my swimmer will apreacite their coach having even more tricks up his sleeve! ;)

Fruitbat wrote:whats a free pull?
A "free pull" or a "pull Free" is when you swim front crawl with your arms, but have a pull bouy or other device to imobilize the legs so you don't kick... and isolate only the "pull" part, or upper body part of the swim. Ideally, good pull technique still focuses on body rotation, so the hips and stomach are still involved, but no kicking is used.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:04 am

I get so damn annoyed when I swim in a public swim time and all the slow ass swimmers are all spread out over all the lanes and I can't swim my fast set 'cause people are getting in my way! :evil: I almost killed a kid with my flip turn 'cause I didn't see them passing under the lane lines. :!:

Regardless, I did this set after a light lifting set, which I'm starting to feel, and I hope was the reason my times were shit.

My set (all shortcourse yards):

100 IM
100 Free

100 scull
200 6-beat kick on side keeping head still on rotation
300 fist-finger-keyhole by 100's
400 pull easy
500 swim (easy)

5 X 100 on the 1:20 (arriving on the 1:10)
4 X 100 on the 1:15 (arriving on the 1:10)
3 X 100 on the 1:10 (this is where people fucked me up :evil:)
2 X 100 on the 1:05, which I didn't make. I was so pissed.
1 X 100 easy.

100 free pull
200 IM
300 free pull
400 IM
500 free pull

For a total of 4700 yds in approximately 80 minutes. Not bad, even if my swims were shit.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Well, I'm fucking exhausted 'cause my daughter wouldn't go to sleep, and yelled like a banshee for a full hour as I was trying to drive home. I stood in the rain for an hour in some strange neighborhood, in the dark, as my daughter wailed and wailed. The neighbors evern came out to "help". I think it was more of "evaluate the situation and see if child abuse was happening". Even after going to bed a few minutes past midnight, i got my arse out of bed at 5:20 (I had to hit snooze at my usual 5:10a), got my stuff together for the day, and drove half hour to swim practice to arrive late at 6am. But I had a good workout!

400 Easy
100 Fast
600 Easy
100 Fast
400 Easy
100 Fast
200 Easy
100 Fast

10 X 50 kicks

3 X 300 pull

8 X 25 IMO.

So the workout wasn't exactly riveting... but I did the 100yd "fast" on 1:04, 1:03, 1:02! That's awesome for this time of year! I'm so stoked. My brain is still swimming in my lack of sleep, but even exhausted, I swam under 1:05. I didn't even feel tired. It felt like I could do a 200.

So it isn't what I could do when I was 16, but it's better than I've done since college. I'm pretty happy about that. Next goal is to keep a long set of 100's on 1:20 (perhaps more reaslisitic is to start on 1:30;s) on less than 1:10.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Next

Return to Training Logs