Vegan machine never break...

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan machine never break...

Postby wannalift » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm going to try to keep a new log. Mostly just reports as I already log my weights at the gym and at work and I'm not going to go into great detail over the gym stuff as it is mostly supplemental at this point. Anyway, as many of you know, I used to powerlift and then got injured and then got into olympic lifting and sports and then more injured, etc. Basically I have to accept my limitations at the gym, but hoping to expand my limitations in other sports. I've been way into ice hockey (goalie) for a few years now and have recently gotten WAY into mtn biking. Mostly technical singletrack with obstacles & climbs. Just got a really nice new (used) bike too - 2011 Giant Trance X2. My area is one of the best places in the whole country (outside of Colorado) to ride. There are 20+ really nice parks within an hour drive that all have excellent trails. One of the better ones is only a few blocks from my house, so I get to train on that all week.

As far as gym stuff, I have a pretty regular routine and I also work out in my office during lunch since I get paid for 1-hour of lunch and it takes me less than 10 minutes to eat. At the office I go at a pretty slow pace as I don't want to really break a sweat, but I get a good workout in with weighted dips & pull/chin ups. At the gym I don't really go at a fast pace either as I try to just relax and enjoy myself while increasing my strength. Rep schemes are 6-12 except for 1-leg press where I go 1 set of 20 reps on each leg and go up 2.5 lbs each session. Sometimes I go heavy on the front squats too. Thankfully my legs are still super strong. Anyway, here is my normal schedule below. As you can see, I do a lot of physical activity but I may have to scale that down (slightly) when my graduate studies resume.

As for my current stats: 5' 8.5", 165 lbs, 31" waist (measured at widest part). I'm pretty light after coming off another shoulder rehab, but I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. Mtn biking has given me an incredible cardio base that I have never had before. My body fat is pretty low and I have regained most of my upperbody strength. Hoping to get ever leaner, stronger and more fit in the near and distant future. Hopefully my new(er) routine helps keep my shoulders strong and I stay injury-free. Off to the mountains for now!

Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Re: Vegan machine never break...

Postby wannalift » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Updated my log title since the last one was kind of vanilla. Now we're getting somewhere :twisted:

8/20/2011

Drove out to the Seven Springs mountains for some aggressive trail riding. We did about 15 miles total in around 3.5 hours. Lots of climbs, descents & definitely a lot of rocks! We did the mountain race loop and then some rock gardens & cross country trails. I did the whole ride in my middle chain ring and only had to use my largest rear cog for a brief period when we climbed the ski slope. Good news as this officially means I can ditch the small chain ring and convert the bike to 1x10. There is a nice video of me crashing off of an obstacle that I'll post when I can get it off my co-worker.

8/21/2011

Was pretty worn down from yesterday, but I still made it to the gym this morning. Had to make it a little light with another ride impending so I cut out the front squats, lower back & hamstring work. Barely made it through the 1-leg pressing and my legs were still cooked from yesterday. Everything else went well. Did another ride after at South Park. We tried to hit some new trails, but kind of got lost. Then it seemed like no matter what way we went we were climbing. It seriously never stopped. Finally we found our way out and on the rare occurence I insisted on taking the road back to the car. I really just didn't want to ride anymore as I was just too tired and didn't want to risk getting lost again. I'll probably ride again tomorrow, but back at my regular training area at Frick park. It is supposed to be a very nice day!
wannalift

Postby soniczip » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 pm

hey, nice to see yet another multisportlog! :D what mb do you have?
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby loveliberate » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:15 am

Tis nice to see your new log yinzer! Do you still hang with Michael & Tiffaney? If so, please say hello for me! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby wannalift » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:24 pm

soniczip wrote:hey, nice to see yet another multisportlog! :D what mb do you have?

Thanks! I have a Giant Trance X2. It is full suspension with 125 mm of front and rear travel. It is classified as a "trail" bike, but I basically use it for 'all-mountain' conditions. The singletrack around here is mostly all dirt under the cover of trees in the woods. Lot of rocks, roots, and manmade obstacles over uneven terrain. It's quite nice.

loveliberate wrote:Tis nice to see your new log yinzer! Do you still hang with Michael & Tiffaney? If so, please say hello for me! :D

I haven't seen them for a while. They live about 30 miles south, outside of the city. Between work, grad school, volunteer work, lifting, biking and hockey, I guess I don't have much of a social life. I should probably try to visit them sometime. Derp.
wannalift

Postby JP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:12 pm

good to see you back mate.
JP
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:00 pm

wannalift wrote: They live about 30 miles south, outside of the city.

Maybe there are some good rides for you down that way? :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Rach » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:32 pm

like your title! Looking forward to reading your log :D
Rach

Postby wannalift » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:31 pm

JP wrote:good to see you back mate.

Good to be back.

loveliberate wrote:
wannalift wrote: They live about 30 miles south, outside of the city.

Maybe there are some good rides for you down that way? :D

Now you're speaking my language :twisted:

Rach wrote:like your title! Looking forward to reading your log :D

Thanks, I hope it opens a window to the perpetually overtrained :wink:
Last edited by wannalift on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37 pm

8/22/2011

Workout at work was good. Went a little heavier with the pull/chin ups. The setup we use are handles wedged in the top of a closed door. It keeps your body vertical against the door and makes the pull/chin ups WAY harder. Skipped the grip work as I'll tend to it later tonight when I watch wrestling (one of my few guilty pleasures).

Went for a ride after work because the weather is simply beautiful. I really should have thought better of it though as my body is completely shattered today. My legs and lower back are super sore and my triceps still haven't recovered from Friday's workout. Needless to say I rode pretty sloppy for about 1.5 hours. I actually did good time-wise as I took very few breaks. Had to drop down a gear (out of necessity) on the climbs, but that actually made me carry a little more speed in some sections as I spun the crank a lot faster. I should probably do that more often. Trails were a little loose and I spun out a couple times and very nearly laid down the bike, twice (depending on your definition of 'laid down'). Tomorrow I am definitely not riding, I promise.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:57 am

8/23/2011

Work: Surprised to have a good workout. Went up in weight on the dips and flys despite continued soreness. Hoping to get close to +100 lbs on the dips by the end of the year.

Gym: Same as work - got stronger in every exercise. Weight is finally up over 165. Trying to get back to at least 170, slowly. Was nice to finally rest my legs. Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow and a day of rest from the weights. Already cancelled my hockey game tomorrow as I want to be at the top of my game for a playoff game on Thursday for my other team.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 am

8/24/11

2-hour ride at Frick. There were a couple bright spots, but mostly I was dragging it again today. Just still feeling overworked. Really caught up with my on my last big climb where I was just not carrying any speed at all. On the last trail I pretty much treated it like a cool-down. Some idiot couple were walking on the singletrack with 4 dogs not on a leash and they kept running in front of my bike and wouldn't move out of the way. Eventually one of them turned around suddenly and I actually hit into him. Nothing serious and there was really nothing I could do to avoid it. Often I yell at those people, but the situation was already embarrassing enough for them that I didn't see the need to remind them.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:53 pm

8/25/11

Work: Strong on the pull/chin ups. Got an extra rep on each set. Shrug rows were okay. Skipped the grip as I needed the rest.

Gym: Felt very sluggish. Very strong on my right leg on the 1-leg press, but the my left leg struggled. Glute & upper hamstring tightened up bigtime and I had to push myself through with limited range of motion. Did some shrugs and face pulls and then got out of there. Trying to save myself for my playoff game tonight. Not feeling particularly great and I'll have to bring my A-game for us to advance tonight. Going to show up extra early to stretch & warm up.

Game: We won 6-1! We'll play for the championship next week. I had a couple of sloppy moments due to my dull skates, but I played my angles very well and maintained control of most of the rebounds. Glad that I sat out last night to be totally ready for this one.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 pm

8/26/11:

Took a half day at work as I had some meetings on campus to attend to in order to straighten out my research for the upcoming year. No work-workout, but I did go to the gym. Acutally had a really good session. My legs/hips are super sore today from the hockey game last night. Normally I would ride, but I know I am better off resting them for tomorrow's ride.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 pm

8/27/2011

Went for 4.5 hour ride at Harrison Hills Park (3.0 hours of actual riding). Pretty nice XC trails that ran along a huge ridge overlooking the river. Went with co-workers and a couple of them were dragging it some. Still got to see a lot over the 14 or so miles we covered. Lots of climbing. Some pics from the ride:

wannalift

Next

Return to Training Logs